PDA

View Full Version : A poor all-in by me, or did they make questionable calls?

Magician
06-06-2003, 06:40 PM
PokerStars NL Hold 'Em $10 tournament (over 200 participants) - Blinds 15/30Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: 4680
Seat 2: 1210
Seat 3: 2485
Seat 4: 1050
Seat 5: Magician 2005
Seat 6: 2480
Seat 7: 1675
Seat 8: 1065
Seat 9: 2675
Magician: posts small blind 15
Nice Pair!!: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Magician [6d 6h]
7: folds
8: folds
9: calls 30
1: folds
2: raises 90 to 120
3: calls 120
4: folds
Magician: calls 105
6: folds
9: calls 90
*** FLOP *** [4h Ac 3c]
Magician: checks
9: checks
2: bets 300
3: folds
Magician: raises 1585 to 1885 and is all-in
9: calls 1885
2: calls 790 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [4h Ac 3c] [7c]
*** RIVER *** [4h Ac 3c 7c] [3d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Magician: shows [6d 6h] (two pair, Sixes and Threes)
9: shows [5c Qc] (a flush, Ace high)
9: collected 1590 from side pot
2: shows [Ah Jd] (two pair, Aces and Threes)
9: collected 3780 from main pot

My reasoning: I went all-in to knock 9 (who I had correctly put on a draw) out of it. I expected 9 to fold, so in my mind my only liability was the 790 that 2 had left. So even if 2 calls and I go on to lose I thought I would still have about 1,100 left. In addition, I thought the viciousness of my check-raise would induce a fold from 2 who I had (again, correctly) put on Ace + a decent to good kicker. I was hoping to represent two pair. And of course there was some possibility that 2 didn't even have an ace, but something like say JJ or TT, and the Ace on the board would have worked as a scare card in my favor. And if he didn't even have a pair (KQ suited, semi-bluff on his part?) then my pocket 6's might stand.

Was there any merit to what I did, i.e. might it have worked against a different opponent or if he had a different hand worth raising 4 BB pre-flop and then betting out 300 on the flop with?

Al_Capone_Junior
06-06-2003, 07:38 PM
I think you picked a poor time to make a play. Now I'm not saying that you didn't think it out well, but in a tournament, It's generally better to avoid risky plays whenever possible.

As for the guy with the flush draw... He definitely made a huge error, but that doesn't do you any good. You DON'T want him to call, despite the fact that you're getting the best of it. You do better (in a tournament only) when he folds. In a ring game, you would welcome his call, because you'd be getting better than even money with somewhat better than a 50-50 chance of winning. With Q5s, he has 12 outs to beat you, which is a 45% chance (ignoring runner-runner possibilities for the both of you).

Still, in a tournament, preserving chips is more important than just getting the best of it. DS has written that you should sometimes fold in situations where you might actually have slightly the best of it, because getting busted has such drastic consequenses in a tournament.

one other thing, if you can avoid getting into big confrontations, you should almost always do so in a tournament.

al

ohkanada
06-07-2003, 12:59 AM
With 4 players in a raised pot the likelyhood that no one has an ace is unlikely. And at the $10 tourney levels most wouldn't even drop TT/JJ.

Don't get fancy. Muck on the flop and go onto the next hand.

Ken Poklitar

SoCalPat
06-07-2003, 02:14 PM
You had 2 on top pair, decent kicker, which he ended up having. Good read. But why would you make a play on him? He's one of the short stacks (although the blinds indicate it's early in the tournament, I don't know how many players are left, or what you started the tournament with chip-wise), and in most instances, has the best of it given his hands and the board. Plus, he raised pre-flop. He's salivating at this board. Why would he fold?

You got too tricky for your own good, and had but one out to improve. I would need a little more backup to my hand if I'm going to go all-in here with second pair.

I would say 9 played it poorly, 2 played it appropriately and your all-in move was bad. And there's debate for you calling a raise with 66.