PDA

View Full Version : Most expensive thing you've ever ate/drank?

Sponger15SB
10-24-2005, 02:56 AM
Can't think of an interesting OP right now, so uh, lets just have it high rollers.

Tell us the times you've spent grubbing up truffles and drinking hennessy timeless....

2+2 wannabe
10-24-2005, 02:58 AM
6000 chicken fajitas

shant
10-24-2005, 03:01 AM
Most of a bottle of JW Blue Label. Wish I could've said a bottle of Cristal.

tonypaladino
10-24-2005, 03:02 AM
$25 for a patron margarita.

I've had meals in the $100-$150 per person range, nothing very expensive.

kyro
[ QUOTE ]
6000 chicken fajitas

[/ QUOTE ]

and a so-sized (sp?) McBiscuit.

RRRRICK
Ahh wedding cake, costs you half of everything you own!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sponger15SB
10-24-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wish I could've said a bottle of Cristal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had Cristal. It tasted like absolute crap to me. I would have rather had a PBR or Natty or something. Then again I don't like Champagne/Wine/etc

dibbs
10-24-2005, 03:06 AM
Cristal after high school graduation because my friends and I are idiots. 250$ a bottle I think I paid.

Good thing my taste isn't refined enough to enjoy really expensive food.

krazyace5
10-24-2005, 03:09 AM
My ex-wife....

I kid, I kid

dibbs
10-24-2005, 03:10 AM
Nice.

KKbluff
10-24-2005, 03:18 AM
A $0.65 fountain drink that ended up costing me $30.65 after an unexpected overdraft due to a netflix monthly charge (random timing)that I didnt know of.

hobbsmann
10-24-2005, 03:29 AM
I believe a Chateau Brion entree I ordered a couple of months ago was about $90.

xorbie
10-24-2005, 03:30 AM
A $20 steak. I guess I need to get out more.

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 03:32 AM
I had either a Ketel & soda or Glenlivet neat at the Hard Rock that cost me about $10,000.

Claunchy
10-24-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had either a Ketel & soda or Glenlivet neat at the Hard Rock that cost me about $10,000.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please elaborate.

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing really. About to color up. Remember I'm waiting on a drink. Downhill from there.

2+2 wannabe
10-24-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6000 chicken fajitas

[/ QUOTE ]

and a so-sized (sp?) McBiscuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol it's supposed to be SO-SAGE (as in sausage) - but said like Peter says FAH-GIY-TA

Fratony
10-24-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If we are talking drinks at a bar/club this is definately my case. My buddy (anonymous 2+2er) took a bunch of us out after a good night and we drank some handles of kettle for 200 a pop. If we are talking most expensive, as in from a store, I had some JW blue label and it was amazing.

10-24-2005, 03:58 AM
Louis XIV

Shot of that was $140 at the bar I worked at. And once had a meal that cost me 100 (my share).

The Louis tasted like any other cognac.

Eurotrash
10-24-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Louis XIV

Shot of that was $140 at the bar I worked at. And once had a meal that cost me 100 (my share).

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, I would hope they at least gave it to you in a nice snifter and not in a shot glass. I mean, honestly, who takes shots of cognac?

10-24-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Louis XIV

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, I would hope they at least gave it to you in a nice snifter and not in a shot glass. I mean, honestly, who takes shots of cognac?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was. I've seen people drink tequila in a snifter too. Oh! I've had a 30 dollar shot of tequila... can't remeber the name but it was very smooth.

Looking back... wtf was I thinking wasting this money away?!

10-24-2005, 04:59 AM
Things that were worth the money:
Cristal champagne
Kobe beef carpacio
Black truffle on brie.

Things that were not worth the money:
Uni - gross and tasted bad
Any and all expensive vodka - Make no impression on me.

mmbt0ne
10-24-2005, 05:30 AM
Never had a shot over $6, a drink over $15, or a meal over $50.

I think I lose.

yellowjack
10-24-2005, 05:52 AM
shark fin soup
i have no idea on the price because i never see the bill /images/graemlins/frown.gif

SammyKid11
10-24-2005, 06:06 AM
Guess it was a formal event that was about 500/head, 800/couple. Lots of great food, great wine, etc. But I didn't pay for that, so it doesn't count.

As far as what I've paid for myself...200-dollar bottle of Dom for New Year's...any meal at Al Biernat's in Dallas sets you back several buy-ins (at Backgammon or whatever game you happen to play).

AEKDBet
10-24-2005, 06:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
we drank some handles of kettle for 200 a pop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a rip.

Most expensive thing....

1) Mushroom binge in amsterdam
2) First Monster Energy Drink & following addiction (http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a305/hinson4/proudownerof96monsters.jpg)

WillMagic
10-24-2005, 06:38 AM
Lobsters and Champagne in Brussels.

6 people, six lobsters, 2 bottles of champagne. Awesome.

Will

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 06:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Kobe beef carpacio

[/ QUOTE ]

When/where did you have the "Kobe" beef?

kenberman
10-24-2005, 07:27 AM
bottle of 1971 Bordeaux. prob would cost have $500 had we ordered in a restaurant. this was purchased for just a few dollars back then, though.

10-24-2005, 07:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobu in las vegas.
Served 'new sashimi' style. Sliced very thin, spread on a plate, garnished with raw onion and greens, then drizzled with very hot oil. It's not on the menu, but if they have it in on hand they will make it for you. (or maybe it helps to know people who work there /images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Chobohoya
10-24-2005, 07:31 AM
I ate about $800 worth of beluga caviar at a party last may. Lots of vodka too, but that was only Belvedere.

stigmata
10-24-2005, 07:33 AM
30yo laphroig is probably most expensive thing, a friend had a bottle which costs around $500 I think.

Vavavoom
10-24-2005, 08:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Louis XIV

Shot of that was £125 at a bar when out one evening with work.

The Louis tasted like any other cognac. (Horrible... /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Cristal champagne
Kobe beef carpacio

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had similar at both Nobu & Ubon (London)...I have had some excellent food there...When I have eaten there, I couldn't tell u the most expensive things I have eaten as I never look at bill or prices...I just eat the food (Work Expenses)...

Cristal - well over-rated...DP 95 much better...

10-24-2005, 08:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I ate about $800 worth of beluga caviar at a party last may. Lots of vodka too, but that was only Belvedere.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would have put caviar under the not worth is list as I find it nasty by itself, but it's ok in small doses on some dishes. (scrambled eggs)

diebitter
10-24-2005, 08:47 AM
The only place I ate caviar I liked was Stockhom. (well it was fish eggs really). They sold it from little booths in the park, on top of some sort of hard fried pancake/bread and soft cheese. Great

IndieMatty
10-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Cambodian Breast Milk.

pokerdirty
10-24-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My ex-wife....

I kid, I kid

[/ QUOTE ]

mail order bride?

CollinEstes
10-24-2005, 10:02 AM
I'm surprised nobody else has already said this but I had a 400 dollar entree of Escargot with truffles in Paris.

icepick
10-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Kobe beef filet mignon, $160. Craftsteak at the MGM.

mslif
10-24-2005, 10:18 AM
My most expensive meal was at Paul Bocuse's L'Auberge du Pont de Collonges in Lyon.
The meal was about $300 per person (not including the wine which was about $100). The best part of the meal was an unbelievable black truffle soup. I'll also add a picture of the place beacause it is so beautiful:
http://www.bocuse.fr/images/interne/restaurant/galerie/images/resto.jpg

TheBlueMonster
10-24-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
drinking hennessy

[/ QUOTE ]
I got a bottle of henessy. It's not that spectacular.

cwsiggy
10-24-2005, 10:45 AM
1908 port. Unfortunately I was too young to really appreciate it. Everyone in my family said it was the greatest.

JihadOnTheRiver
10-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Food: I was at a lobbyist funded drug-company/politician dinner and had a Kobe beef filet that ruined all other steaks for the remainder of my life.

Drink: I've had all the requisite Scotches, Cognac's, and Champagnes, but the one drink that costs more then all others is Tiger Penis liquor. It tastes like hell but you can't even begin to imagine how expensive it is.

-Jihad

correia
10-24-2005, 10:59 AM
http://arax007.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Fukuoka-images/Wine%20files/Dom%20Perignon92.jpg

$300 i think?

BobboFitos
10-24-2005, 11:01 AM
expensive caviar

BottlesOf
10-24-2005, 11:07 AM
IT depends on how you define most expensive. I've had black, white truffels (very small quantities) so on per oz. basis I guess that wins. I've had some expensive wines, but nothing off the meter.

rohjoh
10-24-2005, 11:27 AM
1. Friends bachelor party, we had a 3800 bar tab at Body Enlish in the Hard Rock, which included $1100 bottles of Cristal. FYI, when you pay $1100 for a $250 bottle of chapagne, they bring it out on a silver platter with sparklers. I was not paying, so it was cool.
2. BOWMORE 1957 ISLAY 750

3.http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs3/3951/images/photo1.jpg

sfer
10-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Various bottles of wine.

rohjoh
10-24-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Kobe beef carpacio

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a $35 Kobe burger from Svelte in Corona Del Mar, and was not impressed. Give me a $6 Flame burger from the place any day.

sfer
10-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Trip report please.

10-24-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A $0.65 fountain drink that ended up costing me $30.65 after an unexpected overdraft due to a netflix monthly charge (random timing)that I didnt know of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch. Hope that was some good Barq's root beer.

mslif
10-24-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Trip report please.

[/ QUOTE ]

We started with some cocktails, Kir Royale. Every french meal starts with an "aperitif".
My first course was this delicious and well-known Black truffle soup. It was unbelievable. The flavor of the truffles was so esquisite and the consistency of the soup was just perfect.
My next course was Beef Rossini with a Perigueux sauce which is also truffle based and was served with vegetables (I do not remember which ones). The beef was so tender, the weight of the knife was enough to cut it.
I believe the wine chosen was a mature Claret, I do not recall the name though.
Next course was of course the cheese and salad. I chose a salad with warm goat cheese on toast. Excellent.
Dessert was an assortment of small pastries.

What was very spectacular about this place was the surroundings. The place is charming and very intimate. There is a beautiful garden behind it where you can sit and enjoy a nice cognac. An unforgettable experience.

sfer
10-24-2005, 12:06 PM
No digestif? Also, aren't you French? Claret, not Bordeaux?

I'd like to go to Lyon.

mslif
10-24-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No digestif? Also, aren't you French? Claret, not Bordeaux?

I'd like to go to Lyon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did have a cognac in the garden.
I am french but I thought I would use the chiefly British name. Sorry to disappoint.

If you have the opportunity to travel to France, I would highly recommend to stop there. It is worth the trip and the money. I was introduced to Mr. Bocuse and got to talk to him for a few minutes. It was just an incredible experience.

poincaraux
10-24-2005, 12:28 PM
[not a high roller]
Most expensive meal: Charlie Trotter's (http://www.charlietrotters.com/). Also the best meal I've had. I had the Grand Menu (the Kitchen Table was booked) and a different 1/2 (1/4?) glass of wine with each course.

Obligatory truffle story: In college, we mannaged to get school funding for the Gourmet Cooking Club. It was sweet. Per ounce, the most expensive thing I made was twice-baked potatoes. They were made with white truffle oil and had ~1.5" of thinly sliced black truffles on top. Yum.

Boris
10-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Wow. I'll bet the ladies melt when you bust out the Tiger Penis. RRRRRAAAAWWWWWWWR. Does it help your "performance"?

JihadOnTheRiver
10-24-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does it help your "performance"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be happy to elaborate on the circumstance if anybody cares, but for now I'll simply answer: Yes, remarkably. I've never taken any pills (still young), but I can't imagine them being any better than this drink.

Boris
10-24-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'd be happy to elaborate on the circumstance if anybody cares...

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you decide to get down with the bodybuilder "chick". I'll keep an eye out for the Tiger Penis.

JihadOnTheRiver
10-24-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'd be happy to elaborate on the circumstance if anybody cares...

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you decide to get down with the bodybuilder "chick". I'll keep an eye out for the Tiger Penis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would definetely need the Tiger to pound on that. After all, its basically steroids for your vein.

Toro
10-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Mussels marinara. While mussels are usually cheap, I broke my tooth on a stray shell in the sauce and the dental work was tres expensive.

10-24-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cambodian Breast Milk.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6857/bimo3wv.jpg

Dominic
10-24-2005, 01:16 PM
I had blowfish in Tokyo...yeah, the fish where if the chef doesn't prepare it properly, it'll kill you.

hundreds of dollars.

I'm also a wine freak, so I've spent 4-500 bucks on a single bottle of wine before.

Zoelef
10-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Never had a shot and only one bottle of mediocre beer.

Can't recall directly but I'm relatively certain I've never had a meal cost more than $25. My daily food bill is in the ~$10 range and even when I go out to eat I keep the bill under $5 if possible.

I lose.

arod15
10-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Dinner at top of the world 240+ tip....

10-24-2005, 01:53 PM
I went to a bar in the middle of March somewhere in central Ontario with 150 of my closest friends. I ordered a pint of beer for $3.50 and left a $1.50 tip. At the end of the night, after the bar is closed down, we're about to hop on a bus for a 40 minutes ride back home. I know I won't be able to make it that far without going for one last bathroom break. So I jog around the corner and begin to relieve myself behind the bar, when...
"Excuse me, sir. Can you put that thing back in your pants?"
Enter police officer, who proceed to collect my identification and hand me a ticket for "depositing in public". Add $130 to the cost of the beer.

Total: $135.00 for a pint of Canadian beer.

pokerdirty
10-24-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went to a bar in the middle of March somewhere in central Ontario with 150 of my closest friends. I ordered a pint of beer for $3.50 and left a $1.50 tip. At the end of the night, after the bar is closed down, we're about to hop on a bus for a 40 minutes ride back home. I know I won't be able to make it that far without going for one last bathroom break. So I jog around the corner and begin to relieve myself behind the bar, when...
Enter police officer, who proceed to collect my identification and hand me a ticket for "depositing in public". Add $130 to the cost of the beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

and you didn't find out if you were faster than the cop? weak.

Benal
10-24-2005, 02:53 PM
A foie gras "sampler" at some fancy place in Montreal.

I've had a few $1000 dinner for 2 at a few places in Toronto.

Sponger15SB
10-24-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
drinking hennessy

[/ QUOTE ]
I got a bottle of henessy. It's not that spectacular.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not the kind I was talking about in my post though.

link (http://www.beerliquors.com/giftbaskets/hennessy_cognac_timeless.htm)

IndieMatty
10-24-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I've had a few $1000 dinner for 2 at a few places in Toronto.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like $85 U.S. though right?

Sponger15SB
10-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Oh yeah, I accidentally ate a corner off the Mona Lisa when I was tripping on shrooms at the Louvre.

That was probably expensive.

Toro
10-24-2005, 03:02 PM
I've seen a few references to Kobe beef in this thread but recently read that you can't get Kobe beef in the US as Japan forbids exporting any of it. Is this true?

mason55
10-24-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a few references to Kobe beef in this thread but recently read that you can't get Kobe beef in the US as Japan forbids exporting any of it. Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a farm in Virginia that got some of the Kobe cows. They feed and raise them the same way and everything. Not sure if it still qualifies as Kobe although everything about it is the same as the Japanese meat.

For anyone in No. Va, the Fairfax Wegman's sells Kobe steak and ground beef and it's not too expensive. In fact, I almost always buy it instead of a regular steak.

Arnfinn Madsen
10-24-2005, 05:55 PM
A lot of $300+ dinners, so I don't really remember which one is the most expensive. 3 that sticks out to me though as the best ones are the following:

I. I was invited to Amsterdam by CISCO to go to Amsterdam to meet some of the managers and ground floor workers at their regional headquarter. At that time I had lately traveled a lot inside Scandinavia, in which you did not need a passport and thus I managed to forget my passport /images/graemlins/blush.gif. At the airport, I remembered and told a CISCO-representative that was there to hand me the tickets about it. She said she could fix a later plane for me, but then I would miss an extraordinary dinner. It was appx. 40 minutes until the plane was leaving so I decided to hurry up. I ran to the police station to try to get a passport, but there all the officers were busy with a Swiss guy who had been expelled and seemed to be in serious trouble. I was polite, but after 5 mins I just told the police officers that I need their help immediately. They told me I would not get a passport without a picture, so I had to run to the other side of the airport to get a picture and then run back. They put the Swiss guy on hold and gave me an emergency passport and I then ran to the gate. The CISCO-worker had explained the situation, so the airline kept the doors open longer than ordinary, so that I could enter.

In Amsterdam, having checked in at the hotel and taken a shower /images/graemlins/smile.gif, some CISCO representative picked me up and we had a nice walk to the restaurant. It was definately worth the running, it was a sushi restaurant and we were sitting on a circular table with two designated chefs with a kitchen in the middle. They kept making sushi and other dishes to us for some hours. Watching them prepare the food made the dinner more exciting. I am a sushi lover and the taste was heavenly, never before or after have I tasted such good food.

2. On a visit to Paris, my employer (Alcatel) had hired a woman to organize dinner a night for me and my guests. She delievered /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. We drove by a bus to an old castle previously owned by the Rotschild's family (if Mslif is reading maybe you can give me some information on this place since I met only French-speaking people there /images/graemlins/wink.gif). When we entered the stairs had people standing on both sides with costumes (from 17th century I think). They made a fanfare to salute our entry. Inside we entered into a room where the tables were filled with served drinks and waitresses with traditional customes to serve additionals, so we had a good party before entering into some dining hall. The food was surprisingly mediocre (usually it is very good in France) with some goose pate and some meat from wild animals but having the castle to ourselves was a great setting for a nice dinner/party.

3. In Paris about 2-3 am regular hang out we had (Latina cafe on Champs Elysses was closing) and some women we had met offered to show us the nightlife (nightlife meaning after 3 am /images/graemlins/smile.gif) of Paris. First we went to a ordinary night club on Champs Elysses. Then I convinced them to join me to go to a strip club, since I had a lot of friends that had gone there. They had a good time at the strip club and when we left the strip club at 5am we started to get hungry. They took us to a nice restaurant on Champs Elysses that was surprisingly open. Having a 3-dished dinner at 5 am when being drunk and tired was really a nice/slightly absurd experience, and kept us partying till about 9 am. What we ate and drank I don't remember /images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

In general, all the wining and dining in Paris was really the best part of working for a French company since exclusive restaurants in Paris are really good. In other cities, I haven't always been too impressed with exclusive restaurants, but in Paris they almost never fail to deliever.

Rduke55
10-24-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Louis XIV

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the most expensive drink I've drank.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. And I like cognac a great deal. Figure the crystal bottle it's in jacks up the price.
(If you do want to spend money on a nice cognac, try Germain-Robin XO - less than 1/10 the price of Louis XIV and much better)

Rduke55
10-24-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar experience. A cigarette on the El platform almost cost me $500 b/c I missed my court date. As it was it turned out to be a $75 cigarette.

mslif
10-24-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2. On a visit to Paris, my employer (Alcatel) had hired a woman to organize dinner a night for me and my guests. She delievered /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. We drove by a bus to an old castle previously owned by the Rotschild's family (if Mslif is reading maybe you can give me some information on this place since I met only French-speaking people there /images/graemlins/wink.gif). When we entered the stairs had people standing on both sides with costumes (from 17th century I think). They made a fanfare to salute our entry. Inside we entered into a room where the tables were filled with served drinks and waitresses with traditional customes to serve additionals, so we had a good party before entering into some dining hall. The food was surprisingly mediocre (usually it is very good in France) with some goose pate and some meat from wild animals but having the castle to ourselves was a great setting for a nice dinner/party.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may be talking about Chateau de Montvillargenne.It is about 20 minutes North of Paris. It is a beautiful place. Here is the LINK (http://www.chateaudemontvillargenne.com/index.htm)

offTopic
10-24-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be some kind of risk-averse sissyboy...I took off from Reno a few years ago, on a bright, sunny, July morning, intending to take 395 to Tioga Pass and cut through Yosemite on the way home. My breakfast at Atlantis cost me $300.

Arnfinn Madsen
10-24-2005, 06:44 PM
Thx for the link. However, it was not that one, it was not a hotel. I will try to google for it.

EDIT: googled and found it:

Le Chateau de Ferrieres (http://www.chateauferrieres.com/index-gb.htm)

mslif
10-24-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thx for the link. However, it was not that one, it was not a hotel. I will try to google for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I have never been to this particular place. It is quite charming. I am glad you enjoyed Paris. I actually remember dealing with Alcatel when I was in France. I think they were the providers of the "minitel".

Arnfinn Madsen
10-24-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I have never been to this particular place. It is quite charming. I am glad you enjoyed Paris. I actually remember dealing with Alcatel when I was in France. I think they were the providers of the "minitel".

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif. A weapon used in the early fighting to try to make you use your phone as a computer rather than the computer as a phone when in future all your clients will merge. A battle that still continues.

mslif
10-24-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif. A weapon used in the early fighting to try to make you use your phone as a computer rather than the computer as a phone when in future all your clients will merge. A battle that still continues.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif I /images/graemlins/heart.gif the minitel. I do not think anyone in the US knows what that is.

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is for the most part correct. Most people who think they have had "Kobe beef" have actually not had real Kobe beef.

The general takeaway from most of this stuff is that if you've had a "Kobe steak" or "Kobe burger" or something like that, you probably haven't had Kobe beef. If you've had something like Kobe carpaccio, there's a higher chance you had real Kobe beef.

I think I've posted this stuff before, interesting reading.

- good overview. (http://members.tripod.com/~BayGourmet/wagyu.html)

Apparently much of the "Kobe beef" sold in Japan are actually cows from the Wagyu breed, raised in the US using "Kobe procedures" and then shipped back to Kobe for slaughter.

Some more information (http://www.american.edu/ted/kobe.htm) -

There was a US ban on Japanese beef import from 2001 due to mad cow. But that ended in Nov 2004, so you can once again obtain true Japanese-raised Kobe beef here at some places.

- about faux-Kobe during 2001-2004 (http://www.foodbiz.net.au/v1i5_features3.asp)

ftball0000
10-24-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

For anyone in No. Va, the Fairfax Wegman's sells Kobe steak and ground beef and it's not too expensive. In fact, I almost always buy it instead of a regular steak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wegman's RULES

SCfuji
10-24-2005, 11:59 PM
toro

Indiana
10-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Four words: Le Cirque, The Bellagio.

It was $600 for two but I had just won the Orleans morning holdem tourney for $2350 so I splurged with the wife. I did wine pairings with the meal. Without wine you could get out of there for 2 at just under $300.

Indy

Chobohoya
10-25-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Four words: Le Cirque, The Bellagio.

It was $600 for two but I had just won the Orleans morning holdem tourney for $2350 so I splurged with the wife. I did wine pairings with the meal. Without wine you could get out of there for 2 at just under $300.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you have?

I had the lamb, and while I had enjoyed more than a few glasses of wine and felt the effects, I would easily rate it in the top 3 food experiences of my life.

Notorious G.O.B.
10-25-2005, 02:54 PM
I once drank a heaping spoonful of antimatter, which is the most expensive thing in the world. I exploded.

Diggslick
10-25-2005, 03:22 PM
I once had a dinner at the bellvue in Prague, about $90 us in the Spring 2001 right before my 21st Birthday. Not too impressive unless you've been there and know how far money goes there. (And the dollar was much stronger then). Probably about the equivalent of $350-400 here.

chadplusplus
10-25-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. I'll bet the ladies melt when you bust out the Tiger Penis. RRRRRAAAAWWWWWWWR. Does it help your "performance"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Made with bits of real tiger, so you know its good.

gmrankin
10-25-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most expensive thing you've ever ate

[/ QUOTE ]

my ex wife

M2d
10-25-2005, 07:30 PM
bluefin toro