PDA

View Full Version : near the final table -- overbet pot

10-24-2005, 02:19 AM
100K freeroll on PP. 13 players left from a field of 2650. Players are very strong and aggressive that are left. Hero just got moved to a new table where he has 350K with 3 stacks that have close to 400K there (Hero is 5th in chips). Payout structure is as follows: 20-11: 700, 10: 1000, ... 1: 21000

Folded to the hijack who goes all-in for 375K. Hero looks down at 88. Is it the ++EV play to go for a huge chip stack and call here, or is it better to play it safe and wait for a better spot?

Sorry, if this is an easy question, I'm typically a limit player and I'm new to this part of the 2p2 forums.

10-24-2005, 02:59 AM
Is there not enough information here? -- no advice?

Pasterbator
10-24-2005, 03:40 AM
What are the blinds? Either way, I'm pretty sure i fold. There is very little chance that you're better than a coinflip, and you might be dominated. Fold and keeps stealing blinds.

ZeroPointMachine
10-24-2005, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there not enough information here? -- no advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blinds would help but I'm not sure they could be high enough for me to call here. If this player has been making standard raises and this all-in is a sign of weakness and a possible smaller pocket pair and the blinds are really big(30k-60k) it might just be a call. Need a really strong read to risk that stack to a coinflip at this stage.

10-24-2005, 01:51 PM
blinds are 10K/20K. The range of hands I put him on are 22-TT (JJ?), AK-AT, KQ, KJ. I've see people do this even with Ax and Kx. A lot of these hands i have coin flip with (minus 99, TT, JJ). Is it worth it to put my tournament at risk here to vault me way into 1st and cruise into the final table? Or is it better to wait for a better spot and possibly never gain that chip lead and bleed away...

10-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Based on all information provided, I think I'd just fold this and continue stealing blinds. While having a monster stack would be nice and would make you the favorite for the #1 spot, you still got a very nice stack and can steal blinds all day long on the bubble. I'll go with the little risk/good reward over high risk/high reward in this situation.

10-24-2005, 01:59 PM
So general theory question...is the correct mentality in tournaments:

A) "I want to get as high as I can"

or

B) "I want to get first place"

Pasterbator
10-24-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So general theory question...is the correct mentality in tournaments:

A) "I want to get as high as I can"

or

B) "I want to get first place"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more of an opinion than a general theory question. If the next level of money is VERY important to you, then you should do what you can (likely fold) into that level.

Brad F.
10-24-2005, 02:41 PM
There have been TONS of threads that address this question. Many people will take any +EV situation in any part of the tourney to help his or her chances of winning. Others believe that sometimes (like in your situation or on the first money bubble) it is better to pass on slightly +EV situations to better his or her chances of making better money.

It's all a matter of preference. You also have to weigh in how much better (or worse) you think you are versus the rest of the field.

It's a complicated answer with no exact right answer. I personally will always put my money in in any situation I deem to be +cEV (except in satellites).

Brad