PDA

View Full Version : tough 5/10 hand

Hawkeye27
06-06-2003, 04:33 PM
5/10 online game. I dont know much about my main opponent (EP)in this hand, except that he seems to be tight preflop.

EP open raises and gets two coldcallers to me in the BB w/ KQo. I call.

Flop comes Q J 10 w/ two hearts (I'm heartless)

I bet out and everybody calls.

Turn brings another Q.

I bet out and EP raises, folded to me. I put him on AQ. My thinking was he would have raised the flop with AK, 10/10 or JJ to make a heart draw pay. Anyway I know I'm behind right now but I at least have outs, so I call.

Turn brings a non heart 9 giving me a strait.

I check and call his bet.

How did I play this hand? I'll post results later.

06-06-2003, 04:59 PM
I think you played it fine. While it is true that some players with better hands would have raised to charge for the flush draw, there are also numerous ones who either out of ignorance or plainly in a gambling mood, would take the chance of being outdrawn wishing/gambling that the flush card won't come. Check/call all the way to the river.

dirty_dan
06-06-2003, 04:59 PM
I think you played this ok, but if you had him on AQ you should have either bet the river or checkraised. With AQ he might have raised the flop to see if he was good, but I can't see him just calling with a set on the flop either.

Zag
06-06-2003, 05:25 PM
Preflop tight player open raises UTG. Therefore, put him on (you hold KQ)
AA (6 ways)
KK (3 ways)
QQ (3 ways)
AK (12 ways)
AQs (3 ways)

If you include more hands, then I disagree with your opinion of "tight preflop." But I'll also throw in:
JJ (6 ways)
TT (6 ways)
AQo (9 ways)

Preflop: You have 8 to 1 odds AND you close the action. Still, I think that this is a marginal call. You are dominated by all of the hands he could have if we use the first criteria, and by 36 of the 48 hands using the looser criteria. Of the remaining 12 hands, you are still behind, but only by a little. I have to admit that I never fold here, but now that I've worked it out, I think that it is an easy fold.

Flop: Do you really think he would never slowplay a straight here? I can't believe he would just call with top pair, top kicker (which is what you put him on). I would say that it would be MORE important to raise TPTK than the straight, because the straight will at least know when he's been outdrawn on.

Turn: When he raises, how sure are you that he didn't wait till the turn to raise his straight or set? You don't even know what to hope for, for a river card, except the last queen. If he has AK, you need a king or the last Queen to win, and an ace to tie. If he has AQ as you suspect, you now need a 9, because the ace which makes you a straight will make him a full house.

River: Well, you got what is probably the best card for you, and you still can't be sure it is a winner. AK still beats you and KK ties, but all his other hands have evaporated. Now you can either bet and call, or check and call.

JTG51
06-06-2003, 11:31 PM
I put him on AQ. My thinking was he would have raised the flop with AK, 10/10 or JJ to make a heart draw pay.

I'm not sure I agree. I think a lot of players would be more likely to raise AQ than AK, JJ, or TT on that flop.

It should set warning bells off in your head when the preflop raiser just calls your bet on a QJT flop. I think his most likely hand is AK followed by JJ.

lil'
06-07-2003, 02:34 PM
I feel the same way, Zag. I would probably call with this hand in this spot. I would think, "Hey, I have a good hand and the odds are decent." But now that I think about it, it's a marginal call. The flop needs to hit you REALLY hard or your hand will be second best. Basically, you want to flop two kings, two queens or a straight. Anything else and you are way behind. Top pair just isn't going to cut it.

I was wondering if the flop bet was any good. You are behind to ALL the hands a tight pre-flop rasier would raise here, so what's the point of betting the flop?