PDA

View Full Version : Deep stack HU tournament hand against TAG 2+2er

Proofrock
10-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Hero is BB with T330.
Villain is SB with T270.

Blinds 1/2. This is round 3 of a best of 3 heads up match. Villain is TAG, plays especially aggressively in position. He's been known to open push and/or raise all-in with the nuts and sometimes also with his draws, and is definitely capable of making a move if he senses weakness.

Hero has Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 10/images/graemlins/spade.gif on BB. Villain raises to t7 (standard preflop raise), Hero calls.

Flop (t14) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero checks, Villain bets t15, Hero calls.

Turn (t44) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero bets t20, Villain raises to t70, Hero calls.

River (t184) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hero checks, Villain pushes, Hero ?

Comments on all streets appreciated. Specifically,

(1) What range do you put Villain on at turn/river (preflop and flop his range is precisely any two cards).

(2) What range would you put Hero on?

(3) What alternate line do you take as Hero, and why?

If you think more details are needed, let me know what you're looking for and I'll do my best to supply them.

-cj

xorbie
10-24-2005, 12:09 AM
edit: Deepstack enough I'll keep it.

Proofrock
10-24-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
edit: Deepstack enough I'll keep it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I'm not sure where else to post it, since it's a best of 3 heads up "tournament" set up with another 2+2er. It's designed to play like a heads up cash game (1/2 blinds that don't escalate, 300 starting chips) but with the important difference that we can't rebuy if we bust. It doesn't seem to fall neatly into any of the forum categories, so I thought here would be appropriate.

-cj

xorbie
10-24-2005, 12:19 AM
How often are you reraising PF? How often have you been leading the turn? Have you shown any of these hands down?

aces_dad
10-24-2005, 12:23 AM
HU this is a very good flop for you but you let villian remain in control of the hand, was this your plan?

I know the stack sizes are large compared to the blinds but I think I re-raise all in on the turn here. That's what I do from my SNG days ...

Proofrock
10-24-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How often are you reraising PF? How often have you been leading the turn? Have you shown any of these hands down?

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) I'm very rarely reraising preflop. Villain doesn't give up a big pot easily, and is especially aggressive in big pots in position.

(2) It's hard to say how often I've been leading the turn. Typically on the flop I've been leading for ~1/2-2/3 pot about 1/3 of the time and then mixing up check-folding, calling, and raising the rest of the time. Villain bets the flop about 80% of the time it's checked to him, with or without a hand. If I check-call the flop, I'd say I lead the turn about 30%-40% of the time (it depends on my hand and what the turn card is).

(3) I've only shown a few of these hands down, but the hands I've shown have been all across the board, anywhere from bottom pair to a busted draw to a monster. Villain has no reason to think I have a great hand here, but I've called a number of his river bets with some pretty marginal hands.

-cj

xorbie
10-24-2005, 01:04 AM
Given this I fold. Best of three, looks like this guy has a hand he figures to be good, and is just hoping to win a big one and end it. That said, I don't like the turn play very much.

Proofrock
10-24-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Given this I fold. Best of three, looks like this guy has a hand he figures to be good, and is just hoping to win a big one and end it. That said, I don't like the turn play very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alternate turn line?

TheWorstPlayer
10-24-2005, 01:25 AM
min bet the river. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Proofrock
10-24-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
min bet the river. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif i'll make sure to do this in a future match. Look forward to a post from Falker11 with the title: "wtf?"

xorbie
10-24-2005, 01:55 AM
The problem with this turn is that the board is pretty draw heavy, especially because you both know that either of you could have just about any two on the flop, so that could easily be TJ, or two /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, even 46. There are a ton of hands he could have here that have 7-9 outs against you, so I'm either check/raising this turn or leading for full pot if I'm willing to get all in or check/calling if table dynamics tell me he will price himself out and keep trying to bluff.

Your line of betting small enough to price in any draw and also letting him bluff you on a ton of rivers is not I like. You also look weak, and let him raise you with just about any two because you could easily have a draw yourself (very easy to have backed into a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif draw and be trying to price yourself in), so while it's nice that you have a decently concealed hand, you are obviously not confident enough to go to the felt with it, so I think playing in a manner where you have no idea what he has and allowing him to be the agressor sort of sucks.

On the river, I still think he can push a hand he thinks is very often good (AQ+) and expect to be called slightly too often by the "i know he knows i know" type thinking that is inevitable when you've played a han this way.