PDA

View Full Version : HU Strategies

10-23-2005, 11:24 PM
I just played a couple of little $10+1 HU games on Full Tilt for practice.

I was wondering what you guys think is the optimal strategy when getting really cold cards against really passive, somewhat loose opponents. I think learning how you guys adapt will help my HU play a lot so please share all strategies and tips.

I really appreciate it.

10-24-2005, 01:20 AM
Alright, so I just went 2 for 6 in $10+1 HU.

Overall, I either started ice cold and stayed ice cold but raised my big hands preflop and stayed aggressive. None of my continuation bets worked with any kind of consistency so I was slowly bled down.

My big hands didn't hold up either...all 3 of them.

So what's the plan? How can I combat these terrible cards against players who call preflop raises of 4x BB with T5 against AQ. There has to be something...

illini43
10-24-2005, 01:37 AM
If you are playing heads-up, you have to realize that by playing "premium" hands alone, you will NOT be succesful. Good HU players understand the weaknesses of their opponents and adjust their game to combat these weaknesses. You have to learn how to play post-flop, don't expect to win with AQ against T5 all of the time.

My advice is to stop relying solely on premium hands and to work more on your post flop play. Don't bet only when you have top pair, etc. Open up your range and don't always fold if you have a marginal hand.

10-24-2005, 01:38 AM
I adapt on these kind of players by pulling back on any bluff ( except semis with decent odds ), limping more often, setting traps, and getting very, very agressive post-flop.

Hope this helps...

-turbo

10-24-2005, 01:48 AM
That's great advice.

I was slowly starting to realize some of that toward the end of my little experiment tonight. I was looking all over for opportunities to set traps because a lot of these people would bet really hard with absolutely nothing. Sadly, nothing really panned out tonight but I'll definitely keep trying that.

So basically, open up a little more, limp some more, semibluff and bluff less, and look for chances to set traps? I think those are definitely things I was doing wrong now that you mention it.

The advice is very much appreciated. Thanks please keep it coming!