PDA

View Full Version : I like this play, do you?

10-23-2005, 10:57 PM
My very first hand at the table. No existing PT data. The PFraiser's continuation bet is very weak. I figure if original reraises, or if i don't improve on the turn i am done with the hand. you like?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 ($55.60)
CO ($16.85)
Button ($209.15)
SB ($258.90)
Hero ($200)
UTG ($309)
UTG+1 ($195.10)
MP1 ($158)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $4</font>, MP2 calls $4, CO calls $4, Button calls $4, SB calls $3, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($24) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $6</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $12.85 (AlL IN)</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $26</font>,

Finite_Risk
10-23-2005, 10:59 PM
I just puked a rainbow. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

xorbie
10-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Looks fine...

Finite_Risk
10-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Wait...I misread flop action...other than folding preflop...ok

Fold to reraise here from MP1?

xorbie
10-23-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Some dude minraises and then bets 1/4 pot. We are probably beating him, and if not I'm not gonna cry about maybe folding my 5 outs if he raises back. Then some short stack pushes, this is likely a 9 or a lower PP, I think he pushes with TT+ PF.

10-23-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
other than folding preflop...ok

[/ QUOTE ]

how can you advocate folding preflop when odds are 11-1?

pzhon
10-23-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
other than folding preflop...ok

[/ QUOTE ]

how can you advocate folding preflop when odds are 11-1?

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds like you have a common conceptual error. You are getting 11-1 (sounds good...) because you are in a pot with 5 other people (BAD). If you were getting 11-1 to beat one person, you couldn't fold. However, you should fold here because A9o plays horribly in a raised multiway pot, and you don't expect to get $2 back from the $24 pot. You will often be up against a better ace and a pair 99 or higher, in which case no one card can help you, and many of your hot-and-cold wins come after you flop an unplayable weak draw.

It's not the same situation, but according to PokerRoom's data for limit, trash hands lose more money in the small blind in looser games than in tighter games. Even though they get better numerical odds from having more limpers, they are much less likely to outflop several players.

xorbie
10-23-2005, 11:27 PM
This is an ok hand to play PF if you are willing not to go crazy with just one pair. An A9 or 99 flop can make you ++ cash.

10-23-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is an ok hand to play PF if you are willing not to go crazy with just one pair. An A9 or 99 flop can make you ++ cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.
i mean i am not gonna putting chips in unless a specific situation occurs. im folding to this minraise, at this level, about 0% of the time...

pzhon
10-23-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't hit those frequently enough, or get paid off enough when you do hit. You're only getting a 50% discount with a lousy hand out of position. Also, we've all seen what happens when you put your whole bankroll on nines full of aces.

xorbie
10-23-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, we've all seen what happens when you put your whole bankroll on nines full of aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you double up.

10-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Not if hollywood tells us anything :P

ericlambi
10-24-2005, 01:53 AM
LOL . . . you need to buck up on your Rounders trivia.

soah
10-24-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And a 9xx flop can lose you lots of cash when you misinterpret your opponents' holdings because you've never seen any of them before and don't know what their bets mean.

10-24-2005, 05:57 PM
You know what, Sam Farha/Daniel Negreanu aside, if I have a full house, I'm putting the chips out there. I'll lose the ones I lose, but I gotta figure that I'm going to win more than I lose long term.

As for the rest of the play, 11-1 pf? I think just about anyone would play the flop for that. You could flop top 2pr, trips, anything that lets you take it down.

As it is, you're making the right play to try to isolate to just one player on the flop. Hopefully you push the pf raiser off the table with his pathetic continuation bet. If he's not going to bet 50% of the pot, don't bother. With this many players and that crappy a flop, just check/fold and move on to a better place, UNLESS he's holding an over pair. My guess his he was on AK or AQ pf. Maybe some sort of big broadway.

Your pot-sized bet is great for defining where your hand is. If he comes back, you have to figure overpair and get away from this. Like you said, you've got 5 outs and you're not married to this. You'll get to find out what he has b/c he and the all in will be heads up anyway.