PDA

View Full Version : What does he have and what do I do?

davidross
10-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Empire Happy hour, only the 2nd level and already I've been down to 200 chips and back up to 1300 where I find myself right now. Blinds are 10/20 and I'm on the button. 3 limpers to me and I limp too with K /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif. Both blinds play. 120 in the pot.

Flop is K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif.

As I'm drooling over the flop, UTG bets out 90 and the CO makes it 275. Yikes.

So how good is my hand compared to CO's range for raising, and do I flat call or raise? CO has me covered, UTG has fewer than me. Are you tryng to maximize the win, or minimize a loss?

Annulus
10-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Otherstack sizes is important. but being the donk that i am i push all in with a ton of outs if needed.

redrooski24
10-23-2005, 11:05 PM
Smells like someone has 2 pair, but OESFD with the top pair is just too strong to fold. This is the easiest push ever. Likewise, I would call any all in with this also.

Annulus
10-23-2005, 11:06 PM
I highly doubt UTG or cutoff have AQ for a flopped straight. cutoff could have limped in with Q9 suited, but unlikely. I think at worst you are up against flopped 2 pair. I like pushing and putting them to the test. Your flush outs are most likely good, but the question i guess is if your straight outs are any good.

adanthar
10-23-2005, 11:08 PM
You know you're 44% against a set and 72% against Q9o, right? Come on, calling is horrible.

Exitonly
10-23-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
72% against Q9o

[/ QUOTE ]

???

adanthar
10-23-2005, 11:26 PM
47%, sorry. 72% was for something else. I'd push long before I got to twodimes to doublecheck so it doesn't matter /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Exitonly
10-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Heh yea i'm pushing real quick here too.

davidross
10-23-2005, 11:37 PM
I know I was 60% against 2 pair, and I thought around 33% against AQ, I thought i was ahead of a set, but I'll accept the 44%, and I think the 72% is a typo.

My thoughts when he raised whas that I'm almost positive I'm behind, and most people in these Empire $100 won't fold a hand like 2 pair here, so my folding equity is zip. I have 1300 chips at 10/20 limit and I'm getting ready to play for all my chips with probably a very small edge. I really like waiting for those times where I know I have the other guy in real bad shape. But as you say calling is pretty bad. Raising less than all-in doesn't seem like a great alternative either, except maybe if I make it 700 or something I can check the turn and maybe the river if I miss.

I did push, UTG folded and CO called with KJ, I missed and I was done. Just wondering if there is a better way to play it.

Jason Strasser
10-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Christ david.

davidross
10-23-2005, 11:49 PM
I don't think the question is out of line here. I stand by my read that my folding equity is zilch. So is it just automatic early in a tournament to play for all you chips as a probable slight favorite? Seems like a pretty unskilled way to play. Do you just automatically push with AK every time you get it and either double or go out?

10-23-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the question is out of line here. I stand by my read that my folding equity is zilch. So is it just automatic early in a tournament to play for all you chips as a probable slight favorite? Seems like a pretty unskilled way to play. Do you just automatically push with AK every time you get it and either double or go out?

[/ QUOTE ]

You would raise AK in here and then develop a firmer read on the hand, though.

In this situation you just have to push it in. You are behind now but have ample amount of outs.

LearnedfromTV
10-23-2005, 11:55 PM
A probable slight favorite with a huge overlay. You are putting 1300 in to win 3085. You need 42% equity for a push to be right if you know he'll call. Call and hit lets him get away, call and miss puts you in a shitty spot.

Plus, he isn't calling EVERY time.

Calling also lets the SB in with the nut flush draw the times he has that, which clearly sucks.

Jason Strasser
10-23-2005, 11:59 PM
You have a very good hand David.
-Jason

adanthar
10-24-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hand is way way better than AK.

curtains
10-24-2005, 04:14 AM
I'd go allin /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scuba Chuck
10-24-2005, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Christ david.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO

runout_mick
10-24-2005, 08:07 AM
Not a flame, but genuinely curious:

Did you take ANY time to think before you pushed all in? I wouldn't contemplate folding for even a split second here and my chips couldn't get in fast enough.

If you DID consider folding, if even briefly, could you explain what your concerns were? I think I get into trouble sometimes when I hit the flop I'm looking for and don't take enough time to consider all the implications...

Just curious...

10-24-2005, 10:44 AM
PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSH. A King may be an out, your flush outs are probably good, and it's possible the straight outs will be good (tho not as likely as someone may already have the straight.

Need I mention that the 2 straight flush outs are DEFINATELY GOOD? This is a no brainer, and a necessary risk to take (if you are currently behind, which it looks like you are) to win tourneys.

EverettKings
10-24-2005, 12:25 PM
David

You're right that you probably have no fold equity. But the only other alternative to pushing is to look at a turn card and:
A) Let him bet you out the ~2/3 of the time that you miss
B) Hope you get paid off when another club comes or a 4-straight falls.

If your draw were less obvious then it might be a valid consideration, but here you have to take your action now. Who knows, maybe you'll get JT/KQ/Axc to fold.

Everett