PDA

View Full Version : Curb Your Enthusiasm 5th Season

clambunny
10-23-2005, 10:12 PM
How is this season of Curb compared to previous seasons? My daddy says it's not as good, but Curb is the best show ever I refuse to believe it. Also when is it on, HBO says 10 PM on Sunday but some program called "Rome" is on now, not Curb. HELP!

Yeti
10-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Nowhere near as good.

Yeti
10-23-2005, 10:17 PM
PS. Did you really just say 'my daddy'?

KneeCo
10-23-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How is this season of Curb compared to previous seasons? My daddy says it's not as good, but Curb is the best show ever I refuse to believe it. Also when is it on, HBO says 10 PM on Sunday but some program called "Rome" is on now, not Curb. HELP!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why you should be concerned though, the show simply isn't aimed at 4 year olds.

Unless you are older than 4, in which you really really need to stop calling your father daddy.

Homer
10-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Just as good as always, with the exception of the season premiere.

clambunny
10-23-2005, 10:38 PM
and what are the hours its on

Homer
10-23-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like no new episode this week.

daryn
10-23-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like no new episode this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg wtf

jokerthief
10-24-2005, 12:33 AM
Good to see you back Senor Bunny. I thought you were [censored]. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 12:54 AM
Daddy is right, this season is relatively weak.

clambunny
10-24-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

weak for Curb your enthusiasm is still great though, isn't it?

Fratony
10-24-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why you should be concerned though, the show simply isn't aimed at 4 year olds.

Unless you are older than 4, in which you really really need to stop calling your father daddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

give the girl a break. Can't they go by that till at least 25? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

captZEEbo1
10-24-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

weak for Curb your enthusiasm is still great though, isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]yes

Go_Blue88
10-24-2005, 04:56 AM
I laugh at pretty much everything Larry David says, so this season is still really entertaining.

scott8
10-24-2005, 05:01 AM
The Season may be weak as a whole, but the "Banzai" episode will go down as one of my all-time favorites.

ChipWrecked
10-24-2005, 05:10 AM
After watching seasons 1-4 on DVD within the past month, I noticed a significant dropoff in season 4.

wonderwes
10-24-2005, 05:59 AM
This is still one of the best shows out on tv.

Yeti
11-07-2005, 10:17 PM
This weeks episode was very good.

11-07-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After watching seasons 1-4 on DVD within the past month, I noticed a significant dropoff in season 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the season 4 drop off, but it's not as bad the second time through. I recently watched the first four all over again and it had some decent chemistry.

The 5th is not bad so far except for the season premiere. I loved the last episode except for the ending. Very un-curb like.

ShineOn
11-07-2005, 11:35 PM
I would rank the seasons as follows...2,3,1,5,4. Season 5 has some great parts, I am definately not giving up on the show. And yeah, kamakazee bingo from this season is a must see.

Voltron87
11-07-2005, 11:35 PM
I love those poster ads for the show. The ad is a picture of a carnival shooting game, and they're all headshots of Larry David making a mopey face. The caption is "Wherever he goes, he's always a target".

ShineOn
11-07-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Relatively being the key word. It is still great material. I think it is on its way back up after last season.

Yeti
11-07-2005, 11:39 PM
I can't believe you people think 4 is that bad, or that 5 isn't the worst by far.

Maybe it's looking up though. This week's scene with the girls whilst Hugh was in the bathroom was sublime.

11-07-2005, 11:40 PM
How could you not love Kamakazee Bingo?

11-07-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I laugh at pretty much everything Larry David says, so this season is still really entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would even more if you knew Nate's dad really well. Identical twins seperated at birth.

ShineOn
11-07-2005, 11:42 PM
its definitely looking up. i laughed for about 5 minutes after the last scene of kamakazee bingo.

tomdemaine
11-07-2005, 11:43 PM
CYE is still good but in this series i feel that there's too much stuff happening per episode. It feels slightly rushed to fit it all in to half an hour, less ads. Not all the stories wrap themselves up the huge embarrasing denouement like in previous series. Some of the threads in each episode seem lost for good. This series would be greatly improved by moving to an hour per episode in my opinion.

11-07-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
CYE is still good but in this series i feel that there's too much stuff happening per episode. It feels slightly rushed to fit it all in to half an hour, less ads. Not all the stories wrap themselves up the huge embarrasing denouement like in previous series. Some of the threads in each episode seem lost for good. This series would be greatly improved by moving to an hour per episode in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was saying before. The end of Kamakazee Bingo is very un-curb ending like, and I didn't like the way they ended it. Could have done much better. The rest of the episode was great IMO.

ShineOn
11-07-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is what I was saying before. The end of Kamakazee Bingo is very un-curb ending like, and I didn't like the way they ended it. Could have done much better. The rest of the episode was great IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the end was one of the best parts of the episode.

11-08-2005, 12:03 AM
I'm just saying it wasn't drawn out enough. It was a fast, abrupt one liner image type ending which isn't in the Curb spirit. It is much more funny to be slowly drawn out like in Vogner where Larry gets his revenge at the end or in the Fork Stealing Finale where he gets his undeserved cummupons.

turnipmonster
11-08-2005, 12:32 AM
what is this show about? I see ads for it on the subway constantly.

tomdemaine
11-08-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a show about nothing ... but more cringey /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tyler Durden
11-08-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Season may be weak as a whole, but the "Banzai" episode will go down as one of my all-time favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm the only one who didn't like this episode?

IndieMatty
11-08-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Seems as if Larry David has tried to make it more "sitcomy"; even installing a catchphrase. "pretttty, pretttty good"

jacki
11-08-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Seems as if Larry David has tried to make it more "sitcomy"; even installing a catchphrase. "pretttty, pretttty pretttty, pretttty, pretttty, pretttty, pretttty, pretttty, pretttty, pretttty, pretttty, pretttty, pretttty, pretttty, pretttty, good"

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

sublime
11-08-2005, 01:16 AM
My daddy

wtf

tomdemaine
11-08-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Seems as if Larry David has tried to make it more "sitcomy"; even installing a catchphrase. "pretttty, pretttty good"

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats great IMO but I love the larry david staredowns "buh buh buh bum" "dee dee dee dee"

captZEEbo1
11-08-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]correct

and pretty pretty good is hilarious....and he's done repeating jokes too, like the stare down....so it's not like they just started it.

11-08-2005, 01:31 AM
Larry has been using that catch phrase for a while now. It just gets longer everytime. At the beginning he just said "pretty good." And as things got worse for him throughout the seasons he added more sarcasm and "pretty's"

11-08-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a lot like Seinfeld, only more edgy because it is on HBO. I play myself in a funny continuation of "real life after Seinfeld" for me. It may not be funny the first or second episode you see, but as the characters grow on you, they will be hilarious, especially Larry.

My favorite part of Curb is whenever someone references George from Seinfeld to be the "idiot or fall guy" of the show and Larry gets this look on his face getting all pissed inside because George is based on the actual Larry David. Most of the funny parts will be seen through extra facial expressions and the subtlties after you get to know the characters. I recommend watching in order and especially not going strait to season 3. From there on out, the show is more "plotty." Go to Blockbuster or Netflix today! Actually, just buy them on DVD. Such a good show you will want to have it.

11-08-2005, 01:39 AM
The way he says "pre-TY good" really reminds me of some of the ways that Julia said some of her lines.

11-08-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The way he says "pre-TY good" really reminds me of some of the ways that Julia said some of her lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, many of the Seinfeld characters were givin these great ways of comedic acting from Larry. And like George, the show was partly an offspring of how his life was and how he saw life.

Yeti
11-08-2005, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure after watching this I declared it the worst Curb ep of all-time. I think I smiled once, when Larry was accusing the nurses of a 'kick back' of 50c.

The stare down thing is now so overused it is ridiculous. Hopefully they've done away with that. Pre-tty pret-ty good is still amusing when used sparingly.

samjjones
11-08-2005, 10:30 AM
I've watched this show on and off for the past couple of years, but have seen almost all of this year's shows because its on after "Rome" (which I watch without fail). Its fairly amusing most of the time, but this past week's episode (smoking jacket) was pretty lame, IMO. I think I really need to take the advice above and watch the first three seasons. I thought the last couple of episodes of the "Producers" (was that season 4?) arc was pre-tty bad.

CrazyEyez
11-08-2005, 11:10 AM
My favorite line so far this season, from Lewis Needs a Kidney:

Cheryl: What are you doing?!?
LD: What?
Cheryl: You're turning sympathy into sex?
LD: That's the ultimate form of sympathy!

otis_nixon
11-08-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PS. Did you really just say 'my daddy'?

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts exactly

Rushmore
11-08-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've watched this show on and off for the past couple of years, but have seen almost all of this year's shows because its on after "Rome" (which I watch without fail). Its fairly amusing most of the time, but this past week's episode (smoking jacket) was pretty lame, IMO. I think I really need to take the advice above and watch the first three seasons. I thought the last couple of episodes of the "Producers" (was that season 4?) arc was pre-tty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything you say is true...you MUST go back and watch the first three seasons...MUST.

You are right that the Producers thing wore thin. But when you see Krazy Eyez Killa, you'll forget all about that.

Rushmore
11-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Just for the record, the "pretty, pretty..." line really sounds to me like freakin Frank Booth, when he was putting on the lipstick, saying "pretty pretty pretty" and then explaining what it means to get a love letter from him ("...it's a bullet, from a f*cking GUN, man!! I'll send you straight to hell, f*cker!!").

You will either know what I am saying here, or you will not.

samjjones
11-08-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Where's my bourbon?

marsvolta619
11-08-2005, 07:38 PM
How is everyone forgetting Jesus and his wife with no bra?

11-08-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything you say is true...you MUST go back and watch the first three seasons...MUST.

You are right that the Producers thing wore thin. But when you see Krazy Eyez Killa, you'll forget all about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crazy Eyez Killa was season 3 which was a fantastic season. Still, probably one of my all time Curb-favorites.

Are you my caucasian?
God do I love to pop those [censored] bubbles.

Rushmore
11-09-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where's my bourbon?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Now it's dark."

MaxPower
11-09-2005, 12:40 PM
There were some great eposides in the 4th season too. The one where he picked up the hooker so that he could get in the carpool lane, the one where he fixes the muslim woman up with the blind guy, etc.

So far this season has been good as well.

The show has gotten less dark though. I do have a feeling that something very dark is going to happen with the whole adoption sub-plot.

Personally, I do not want a television show to stay the same from year to year. I want it to change. Sometimes when things change, you assume they are not as good anymore, but eventually you realize that they are just as good if not better.