PDA

View Full Version : racism as a positive value..

scalf
10-23-2005, 08:15 PM
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif clearly cultures quite often have collective values that other culture disagree with. it seems that it is necessary to take these differences into account when dealing with these other cultures..

therefore, i propose that it is healthy and necessary to be a racist... and we all are

gl

/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

jason_t
10-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Do you know what culture means? Do you know what racist means? Do you realize its consequences?

jakethebake
10-23-2005, 08:17 PM
I assume you also propose that it's healthy to be a troll. I remember why I kept you on ignore for so long.

La Brujita
10-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Are you about to post another experience at the drive through?

MrTrik
10-23-2005, 08:21 PM
You are a piece of dirt I spit on and then rub off my shoe.

10-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Acknowledging cultural traits and tendencies doesn't truly make one a racist, though PC nits would have us think otherwise.

As long as you don't prejudge individuals based on these differences, I don't think you'd really qualify as a racist.

10-23-2005, 08:26 PM
You are taking the current state of affairs for granted.

benfranklin
10-23-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif clearly cultures quite often have collective values that other culture disagree with.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you have discovered that cultures have cultural differences. Brilliant.

Culture: The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.

Race: A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.

Race refers to physical characteristics. You may not like a physical characteristic, but you can't disagree with it. Your culture is apparently moranic, and I disagree with it.

rusellmj
10-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Why do I need to be a racist in order to acknowledge cultlural differences?

TheBlueMonster
10-23-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif clearly cultures quite often have collective values that other culture disagree with.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you have discovered that cultures have cultural differences. Brilliant.

Culture: The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.

Race: A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.

Race refers to physical characteristics. You may not like a physical characteristic, but you can't disagree with it. Your culture is apparently moranic, and I disagree with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
well said.

Blarg
10-23-2005, 08:43 PM
This is the second stupid thread with a stupid use of language this guy has made in a few minutes. Except this one is a troll rather than merely stupid.

Where's [censored] when you need him.

Sponger15SB
10-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Everyone is racist. Doesn't seem healthy or necessary though.

Easy E
10-28-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone is racist. Doesn't seem healthy or necessary though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please give me your defintion of "racist" as used here. I'll take as much detail as you're able to type.

Easy E
10-28-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the second stupid thread with a stupid use of language this guy has made in a few minutes. Except this one is a troll rather than merely stupid.

Where's [censored] when you need him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems an awfully harsh judgement, given the prelevant culture that is OOT.

Come on over to Sports Betting- we'll explain scalfie and the English language to you.

If, as rumor has it, scalf has been banned from 2+2 based solely on the two posts that I believe you are referencing.... then someone needs to explain the moderation concepts being used here.

InchoateHand
10-28-2005, 05:13 PM
benfranklin.

Almost well said.

"Race: A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics."

Wrong.

I think any and every human geneticist will tell you that they are unable to find gene patterns that correspond to "race." If we went by strict genetic variation, there is only one race outside of subsaharan Africa, a few more within it.

Race is a social construct--it draws on "biology" but it does not, in anyway, represent biological fact. Especially since "classic" markers of race are phenotypic.

Anyway, scalf isn't even very good as a troll. If he had said that he had just succeeded in own of his life's ambitions, saying drinking the blood of a Jewish baby, then maybe he'd be worth a little more effort.

If you disagree with me, please feel free to try and find reputable scientific data that treats "race" as an ontologically existent biological feature.

Easy E
10-28-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Race is a social construct--it draws on "biology" but it does not, in anyway, represent biological fact. Especially since "classic" markers of race are phenotypic.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">phe·no·type
The observable physical or biochemical characteristics of an organism, as determined by both genetic makeup and environmental influences.
The expression of a specific trait, such as stature or blood type, based on genetic and environmental influences.
<font color="green">An individual or group of organisms exhibiting a particular phenotype. </font></font>

Forgive my ignorance, but that word seems to disprove your statement somewhat.

And I think you're reading too much into scalf's motivations, for what it's worth.

istewart
10-28-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone is racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

InchoateHand
10-28-2005, 05:28 PM
It really doesn't disprove my statement at all. The key is the "observable expression."

Two entirely different genes can have an "observable" physical feature that appears identical. The same gene can be expressed in wildly different way. What this means, for instance, is that a broad flat nose may be a variagated expression of the exact same gene as a long pointy nose. The observable differences, in-and-of-themselves, don't indicate variation on the genetic level.

And this is the problem, and why no, or no not-otherwise motivated, biologists will talk about race. It has nothing to with pc terms, it has everything to do with quantifiability.

The the oft-cited (but true!) dictum, within self-identified racial groups (since there is no universal agreed upon alternative) there is as great/greater genetic variation as between them. As in, me and some Kenyan may be a lot closer than me and scalf, on the genetic level, and I'm quite alright with that.

I'm not feeling particularly articulate today, but if you are actually interested in anything I'm sort-of saying, I can try and present my arguments more clearly at some later point. If you are simply looking for inconsistencies in my statements, I concede their omnipresence.

HopeydaFish
10-28-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone is racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...and you're their Grand Wizard.

Easy E
10-28-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It really doesn't disprove my statement at all. The key is the "observable expression."

[/ QUOTE ]

"observable" and "biological" may not work together here. That is why I highlighted as I did:

<font color="blue">phe·no·type
The observable physical or biochemical characteristics of an organism, as determined by both genetic makeup and environmental influences.
The expression of a specific trait, such as stature or blood type, based on genetic and environmental influences.
<font color="green">An individual or group of organisms exhibiting a particular phenotype. </font></font>

The question may be, more properly expressed, whether race can be defined solely on "groups of organisms who exhibit a particular collection of phenotypes."

Of course, wasting our time trying to justify a more correct defition for "race" is probably a worthless pursuit.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not feeling particularly articulate today, but if you are actually interested in anything I'm sort-of saying, I can try and present my arguments more clearly at some later point. If you are simply looking for inconsistencies in my statements, I concede their omnipresence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't nitpicking for the joy of it, so when you feel bored enough to add further /images/graemlins/grin.gif feel free

RunDownHouse
10-28-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
then someone needs to explain the moderation concepts being used here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you don't understand, or because you feel that you're owed an explanation?

HopeydaFish
10-28-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you don't understand, or because you feel that you're owed an explanation?

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon, he pays good money for this forum, he demands service! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Easy E
10-28-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly both. There may be other reasons as well.

Does my motivation matter? Do we dare not question the judgemental pronouncements of certain posters who have decided that the thread wasn't up to OOT standards and deserved punishment?

Or am I just a troll? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

RunDownHouse
10-28-2005, 05:50 PM
If its the former, there's a fairly comprehensive sticky. If its the latter, you've got some serious sense of entitlement and self-importance, and could likely use a divorce from your e-persona along with scalf.

scott8
10-28-2005, 05:57 PM
And who are you?

Easy asked a question, you are being a total dick.

Easy E
10-28-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If its the latter, you've got some serious sense of entitlement and self-importance, and could likely use a divorce from your e-persona along with scalf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some very interesting procramations, oh Grand Poobah PsychiatristLord of OOT.

Any chance that your post could be self-directed? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

RunDownHouse
10-28-2005, 06:33 PM
OK, I was being a dick. I have a particulary hard time dealing with condescension and demands from those who have no actual authoritative power. I'm working on it, though.

To answer your question, Easy, if you see [censored] as someone's title, below their name, they have been banned from OOT. Typically this means they are sent a PM asking them not to post in OOT anymore. Subsequent violations result in a complete banning.

Easy E
10-28-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, I was being a dick. I have a particulary hard time dealing with condescension and demands from those who have no actual authoritative power. I'm working on it, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other part of your reply, I figured out- also, the mod and I have also been exchanging PMs.

As to the above, I think you misread my intent, though rereading my exact statement may easily lead to an interpretation of condescension. I meant "scalf and the English language" as one entity, not two. Over in SB, we're used to scalf's version of "English". So, I'll give you credit for your interpretation on that front.

"Demands" and "no power" was a bit of a reach in my opinion. I think we all have the power to request explaination when censoring/banning is involved, don't we? I find it perplexing why the solution wasn't to delete the posts, but delete the user, as an early solution. I find it especially perplexing to base the banning on the perceived value of two posts, when a quick scan of posts in OOT doesn't lead one to presume a high standard of value being required for posters.

Maybe we'll have more of a discussion on moderation later on...