PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set in a monotone flop

10-23-2005, 07:39 PM
This is my 12th hand at the table at the table. I haven't done much.

Thoughts interspersed throughout. thanks in advance for the comments.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO ($200)
Button ($221.25)
Hero ($190.80)
BB ($200.75)
UTG ($200)
UTG+1 ($181.85)
MP1 ($44.60)
MP2 ($71.90)
MP3 ($200)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls $2, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

obvious

Flop: ($8) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, BB calls $5, MP2 folds, MP3 folds.
Let's build a pot here.

Turn: ($18) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $90</font>, BB calls $60.

Ok. This is a good card for me. I think.

Pot is too small to push the turn, so I put in a pretty big raise. If he has A4 i want to hear about it now.

I figure the BB could have anywhere from a 4, to the king of clubs.

River: ($198) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $93.8 (All-In)</font>, BB folds.

Now this is an interesting card. I dont't want it checked behind so I'm definitely not doing that. I decided to put him to the test and force him to make a decision. This has to be an incredibly difficult call for him without the 5/images/graemlins/club.gif . In addition my bet is only half pot.

Final Pot: $291.80

stealyourface
10-23-2005, 07:45 PM
I like it, but i think you could have made the turn raise bigger. Seems villian flopped a baby flush and the river card killed the action. I'd prefer to get more money in on the turn when the villain probably thinks his hand is good.

troymclur
10-23-2005, 07:47 PM
You know, i think a check would be interesting on the river. I'm not to sure any card that merely checks behind you would call any sort of raise in the first place. So checking gives you a better chance for him to throw some money out there for a bluff.

Also, if he has A4, you're not going to hear about it with your re-raise, i don't see why anybody would come back over the top of you with that kind of strength.

10-23-2005, 07:48 PM
I think this is a good play if you have been playing there for a while and BB has been there and has seen u make the same play before with a weaker hand. But overall, I don't see why ur betting that much. Unless he has 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif, K /images/graemlins/club.gif, Q /images/graemlins/club.gif (maybe), he isnt going to call. I would put up a smallish bet (around $30-50) that makes it seem like this card wasnt good for u and u want to see a river. This works 2 fold because he 1) essentially has to call with any decently high club or even a set here. Also, if he is a particularly big fish he will think that he can push u off the rest of ur money with a raise of all in (the only reason why i would say this is because u would be too invested to fold here unless u had like 10 high). I just think u optimize ur winnings by making a smaller bet here. Also, wtf is he calling $60 with on the turn and not have a club? I think by betting $45 u can also find out what he is betting this with and get some more information on the person. It was played weirdly by the bb.

10-23-2005, 07:48 PM
I probably would've bet the river smaller, trying to entice a call or raise. Because that card was a club, a large bet scares away many callers, where as a small bet would probably make a low-flush call.

If my river bet gets raised, I push and hope it goes my way.