PDA

View Full Version : My strange soy allergy.

10-23-2005, 06:49 PM
I've been trying to eat healthier lately, as many other OOTiots seem to be. The problem for me is that I'm allergic to nuts, and some soy foods.

The weird thing is that soy sauce and miso is fine, in fact I like them a lot. But tofu and soy milk make my mouth swollen and probably could trigger an asthma attack if I ate/drank enough of it. One thing I've noticed is that the softer the tofu, the more of a reaction I have. With the firm or extra firm tofu, I could eat about 4-5 bites and be ok. But with the soft kind, I'll notice a reaction almost immediately (but still less severe of a reaction than I have to most nuts).

I can't understand what the difference is between soy foods that makes this happen. I don't have any other allergies that I'm aware of.

ftball0000
10-23-2005, 07:01 PM
I think that miso and soy sauce are fermented soy... while soy milk, soy nuts etc... are not fermented. Non-fermented soy can actually be pretty bad for you.

Blarg
10-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Strange. I know a woman who is very allergic to shrimp but eats it anyway. She can eat about three, depending on the size, but after that, she breaks out in sweats, hives, the whole deal. It seems that some allergies are easier to set off than others.

Ray Zee
10-23-2005, 08:55 PM
soy thats not organic is genetically engineered. so you are better without it unless its organic and then too much is not good.
but if you think nuts and soy is the road to good eating you need some good reading.
more uncooked fruits and vegis will be a good start. and dont fool with allergies as your body is telling you not to eat that.