PDA

View Full Version : Two Heads-Up Hands.

DavidC
10-23-2005, 05:14 PM
I sat at the first table that I could find open (on party skins) that was 0.5/1. It had one guy sitting on it with exactly two buy-ins... It didn't take me long to figure out that this guy was kinda sharky. He was probably better than me.

These are the first two hands at the table, and I'm curious about what you guys thought of my preflop play in the first hand, as well as what you thought of the second hand in general. There are results for the first hand so that we can judge my decisions in the second hand better.

---

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (2 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Button posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button (poster) 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (6 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 6 BB

Results:
Button has As 3d (one pair, threes).
Hero has 6h Th (high card, king).
Outcome: Button wins 6 BB.

---

I don't think the board lent much credibility to my play here, and since there were a lot of hands that had okay draws on this board, it didn't have much chance of working. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

---

What do you guys think of this hand?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (2 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero (poster) calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>... (Hero plans to call a raise.)

kapw7
10-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Hand 1: No reason to call the flop

Hand 2: Good play. I personally prefer to raise the turn (and fold to a 3-bet)

DavidC
10-23-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: No reason to call the flop

Hand 2: Good play. I personally prefer to raise the turn (and fold to a 3-bet)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 1:
I didn't really know how many outs I had... This is a pretty ugly hand. I agree that folding the flop is best. If I DO hit something on the turn, I have to check-call to the river I think. As it happened, though, check-folding the turn would have been best.

Hand 2: Hmm... what if you're called? Edit: I guess just checking through would be okay. If the turn is a flush card though and he donks, what do we do? Fold or call? Also, what if it's a complete blank and he donks?

Shillx
10-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Dave,

Stop playing HU on Party. The rake is a killer at these limits.

10-23-2005, 06:04 PM
*grunch*

Hand 1. The flop is slim. I check\fold the turn.

Hand 2. I check behind on the river. You're not folding a better hand J8, 87 are the only reasonable hands that are paying off.
I'm thinking he raised.

kapw7
10-23-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2. I check behind on the river. You're not folding a better hand J8, 87 are the only reasonable hands that are paying off.
I'm thinking he raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ax also calls as well as 77-66-55. You shouldn't miss value bets when you play HU. Ppl will call very loose on the river. Do you think he is risking C-Ring the river a lot of times here after we only called the turn?

DavidC
10-23-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dave,

Stop playing HU on Party. The rake is a killer at these limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

I don't tend to do this for very long. Especially against guys that know what they're doing.

--Dave.

10-23-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking he raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ax also calls as well as 77-66-55. You shouldn't miss value bets when you play HU. Ppl will call very loose on the river. Do you think he is risking C-Ring the river a lot of times here after we only called the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I don't play a lot of HU. As a matter of fact, SFA.

DavidC
10-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Also, Kapw7's line is a little weird.

Why wouldn't I just cap the flop instead of doing the stop-and-go?

(q8 hand)

--Dave.

thesharpie
10-24-2005, 03:07 AM
I don't like PF in the first hand, being OOP sucks and we can't raise as many hands as we would if the SB was the button. No reason to carry on postflop.

Hand 2 I raise the turn if he won't 3 bet without a worse hand, the way you played I'd value bet the river.

10-24-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 I raise the turn if he won't 3 bet without a worse hand ...

[/ QUOTE ]

So if he 3 bets with a worse hand you don't want to raise? /images/graemlins/confused.gif This is the best reason to actually raise it.

ArturiusX
10-24-2005, 03:50 AM
I like hand 1. The donk play will make villians fold almost everything bar a K. The flop is a call getting 7:1.

Hand 2 is good too.

shant
10-24-2005, 03:53 AM
I use the line in Hand 1 when I have a strong hand and want to 3-bet the turn or get a weaker hand to call down, so I really don't like it for what you were attempting.

ArturiusX
10-24-2005, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I use the line in Hand 1 when I have a strong hand and want to 3-bet the turn or get a weaker hand to call down, so I really don't like it for what you were attempting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a terrible line with a strong hand. We have a heap of folding equity because it doesn't look like a bluff. The pots usually small enough for most villians to fold.

shant
10-24-2005, 04:02 AM
How does it not look like a bluff? How often are there hands on this forum where the turn donk-bet gets raised? It obviously depends on the board/opponent, but I've 3-bet a lot of turns this way.

Sometimes the flop action is bet/call if that changes your feelings towards it.

Shillx
10-24-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true in a ring game sense because raises and 3-bets preflop indicate strong hands. In HU play it is more likely that no one has anything so that gives you more folding equity. That said, people will oftentimes call you with A-high so that makes the play a little less appealing. In a full game I love this line with both big hands and semibluffs. In a HU match you can kinda adapt this to big hands + pure bluffs since the other player is more apt to fold. And by big hands I mean things like top pair since that is a monster in this spot. When the villian is likely to have hands like AA/AK/JJ/etc you have to take the pure bluffs out since it is just a waste of money. Using this line when you only have a big hand isn't the best play against an opponent who will notice over time. This is just my view on it though.

Brad

kapw7
10-24-2005, 08:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, Kapw7's line is a little weird.

Why wouldn't I just cap the flop instead of doing the stop-and-go?

(q8 hand)

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why weird? You have the best hand on the turn more than 50% so you raise fro value. Capping the flop is not too bad but what do you do on the turn if a club or A/K falls? On the other hand if you cap, a worse hand (draw/PP) will probably check-call or check-fold a blank turn but in this way (stop-and-go) you can make 1 additional bet and you can safely fold if 3-bet.