PDA

View Full Version : General Tso's vs. Sesame Chicken

BottlesOf
10-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Are these the exact same with the exception of sesame seeds?

jaydub
10-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Sesame is sweeter, tso's is spicy.

tdarko
10-23-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sesame is sweeter, tso's is spicy and better .

[/ QUOTE ]

ISF
10-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Not only is Tso's spicer it is usually breaded.

CardSharpCook
10-23-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sesame is sweeter, tso's is spicy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactamundo

Eurotrash
10-23-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah Tso's is definitely spicier than sesame chicken, but unless I've been going to the wrong Chinese places, they style of chicken used in both dishes is the same stuff.

dblgutshot
10-23-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm guessing you guys are all getting slightly different variations since its not a "real" dish. it's kinda made up as each restaraunt likes.

nothumb
10-23-2005, 05:56 PM
General Tso:
Soy Sauce
White Vinegar
Ginger root
Garlic
Corn Starch
Egg
Corn Oil
Chili

Sesame:
Sherry
Lemon Juice
Sesame Oil & Seeds
Soy Sauce
Vinegar
Star Anise
Garlic
Chicken Stock

They've both got the standard soy, garlic, vinegar, but other than that, no.

NT

Luzion
10-23-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be wary of places that give you a ton of breading, and very little chicken.

Blarg
10-23-2005, 06:06 PM
The Curse of the Orange Chicken.

B Dids
10-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Depends.

The General Tso's at this place in Seattle, "Snappy Dragon" is amazing, it's made with a very sweet sauce, plumb maybe.

General Tso's is one of those dishes like Phad Thai, that varies radically from place to place.

istewart
10-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Depends on the place. I've been to quite a few places where your assertion is correct. Good either way I guess.

tonypaladino
10-23-2005, 06:40 PM
I've been to places where they are both the same, just with sesame seeds. I've also been to places where Tso's is breaded, sesame is not. It all depends on the place.

Slow Play Ray
10-23-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I went with the Sesame last night. I am sorry I did - never again.

jaydub
10-23-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh, depends on mood and person, well done, either can be phenomenal. for me, the general owns but some don't like the spicy. besides which sesame beef is much better than the chicken version. never seen tso's beef however.

on breading, it's up to the place, any decent one will do as you ask.

can anyone elaborate on the "not real dishes". i worked with a chinese woman who remarked on how certain places didn't serve real chinese food but never got an elaboration. i suspect, from dining in really good chinese restaurants, that i may know but am not sure.

Popinjay
10-23-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
can anyone elaborate on the "not real dishes". i worked with a chinese woman who remarked on how certain places didn't serve real chinese food but never got an elaboration. i suspect, from dining in really good chinese restaurants, that i may know but am not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure but I suspect saying most American Chinese restaurants serve real Chinese food would be like saying Taco Bell served real Mexican food.

Luzion
10-23-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure but I suspect saying most American Chinese restaurants serve real Chinese food would be like saying Taco Bell served real Mexican food.

[/ QUOTE ]

General Tso's or Sesame Chicken is not "real" Chinese food. Its Americanized. You would have to live in an area with a relatively large Chinese population in order to go eat at some authentic Chinese restaurants that caters to that large Chinese population.

jaydub
10-23-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

General Tso's or Sesame Chicken is not "real" Chinese food. Its Americanized. You would have to live in an area with a relatively large Chinese population in order to go eat at some authentic Chinese restaurants that caters to that large Chinese population.

[/ QUOTE ]

But can you elaborate as to why and how? As for large populations, LA/SF/DC, I've lived in each and suspect they meet your criterion.

Luzion
10-24-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But can you elaborate as to why and how? As for large populations, LA/SF/DC, I've lived in each and suspect they meet your criterion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok... a quick history lesson then? As I recall, Chinese food caught on in the San Francisco and New York chinatowns in the early 1900's. Many of these restaurants didnt have access to real authentic Chinese ingredients, so they cooked with what they had available. They invented various dishes that still had that "chinese flavor" which appealed to their growing American customer base. I think General Tso chicken was first made in New York.

Nowadays, restaurants have access to authentic Chinese ingredients, but a lot of Americans are used to the various Americanized/stereotypical dishes like fried rice, chow mein, sweet & sour pork, general tso's chicken, orange chicken, etc etc. So some restaurants still tailor to the average American who doesnt know or doesnt care if what they are eating is "authentic." Other Chinese restaurants may tailor to Chinese Americans and serve more authentic stuff. Thats why I said you need to live in an area with a relatively large Chinese population if you want to increase your chances of eating something authentic.

Ulysses
10-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Luzion,

Do you have favorite SF or NYC Chinese places? I like Yuet Lee in SF a lot.

BottlesOf
10-24-2005, 12:35 AM
For NYC: Shun Lee West is very good, but more pricey than typical Chinese. For casual Chinese takeout, Ollies is very good. Joe's Shanghai in Chinatown has awesome dumplings.

Luzion
10-24-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Luzion,

Do you have favorite SF or NYC Chinese places? I like Yuet Lee in SF a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we talked about this before on irc, when I asked you what were the best Indian/Pakistani places in SF, and you asked me what were the good dim sum places.

Ive only eaten at Yuet Lee once, since it was pretty much the only place open after a night at Centerfolds. We ate some fried rice with beef and some tang jai jook (rice porridge with assorted stuff )I think. Cant really know how good they are eating stuff like that.

If I am in that area, I like going to V.I.P.'s across the street from Yuet Lee. It's this Hong Kong style cafe. I like eating their curry chicken and their baked pork chop over rice with a cold HK style milk tea.

My favorite dim sum (yum cha) place is Koi Palace in Daly City. My family goes to Parc Hong Kong in the city a lot though because supposedly its very authentic; its on 1718 Geary St. Both places are very popular.

I am very bored of Cantonese food nowadays. Right now my favorite chinese place in SF is the Shanghai Dumpling shop on Balboa and 34th. Even better would be goto Oakland or San Mateo for even better xiao long bao, but thats not in SF of course. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

manpower
10-24-2005, 02:01 AM
I know the owner personally at my local chinese restaurant, and he says he americanizes everything pretty heavily. But there the sesame chicken is the same dish as the sweet and sour chicken except for the seeds. The gen. tso is battered differently and has a spicier sauce.

10-24-2005, 02:53 AM
General Tso was a formidable enemy, but his chicken is delectable.

Slow Play Ray
10-24-2005, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh, depends on mood and person, well done, either can be phenomenal. for me, the general owns but some don't like the spicy. besides which sesame beef is much better than the chicken version. never seen tso's beef however.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was just funny to see this thread because the woman and i went to pick up chinese on saturday, and we agonized over the decision between sesame and tso for like 5 minutes while we were having drinks at the bar. we finally decided on sesame because we always get tso. When we got it home and started eating it, we looked at each other and said almost simultaneously "we should have went with the tso". Then I log on here and see this the following morning - it made me laugh.

10-24-2005, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely correct. I've been to mainland China 3 times (Beijing 2x and Shanghai 1x).

(Unfortunately) You will not find General Tso's or Sesame chicken or similar American dishes. The dishes are more simple: fish, beef, chicken, pork in simple sauces and spices. Not a lot of fried foods - sauteed, boiled, steamed only mostly.