PDA

View Full Version : expedited passport renewal

geormiet
10-23-2005, 04:07 PM
I have a passport that expired in '99 (which was issued when I was 14 years old) and I have a flight leaving the country on oct 27, 4 days from now.

What is my best option for expedited passport renewal?

Cancer Merchant
10-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Change your flight.

Expidited passport info (http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html)

slickpoppa
10-23-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Change your flight.

Expidited passport info (http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine once realized that his passport was expired the day before his flight. He was able to go somewhere in person and get it renewed in a day.

jason_t
10-23-2005, 04:42 PM
I had to do an expedited passport application once (my passport was stolen) and it took about two weeks.

Exitonly
10-23-2005, 04:52 PM
You can go somewhere in person to get it renewed in a day or two. Not sure where, but you could find out.

You going to Dublin by any chance?

TheMetetron
10-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Not happening. Not in 4 days.

Change your flight, Costa Rica can wait.

cokehead
10-23-2005, 05:13 PM
This is possible, though it will be easiest to not do it directly thru the government. I would recommend calling a 3rd-party passport expeditor first thing monday morning. I have used these people in the past.

http://www.travisa.com/

BottlesOf
10-23-2005, 05:15 PM
I had the same issue a few years ago. You need to go to the nearest State Dept. Office and get an emergency passport. It will cost some money. You can get one same day but you may need to block out the whole day for the venture. When I did this I ran into Flavor Flav who was having issues getting one b/c of oustanding child support payments. I'm not kidding.

BottlesOf
10-23-2005, 05:16 PM
False. See my post.

geormiet
10-23-2005, 06:18 PM
I swear to god you are following me on the internet.

Thanks for the advice. I found a place that charges about 140 for the expediting fee. This seem reasonable?

jason_t
10-23-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice. I found a place that charges about 140 for the expediting fee. This seem reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

They won't be any faster than you doing it yourself. Cut out the middle man.

peachy
10-23-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes thats reasonable...also consider u have no choice?

geormiet
10-23-2005, 06:27 PM
I would, but I can't. The San Francisco gov't agency is booked for appointments till Nov 2.

I found out it's those middlemen that book multiple appointments...

jason_t
10-23-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would, but I can't. The San Francisco gov't agency is booked for appointments till Nov 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That is seriously lame. I can't believe that is allowed. Are you still in Los Angeles? Have you tried the Federal Building on Veteran and Wilshire?

Los Feliz Slim
10-23-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are still ways to get in, especially if you're travelling for business. In LA, it's all about showing up in person at the federal building in Westwood with documentation proving that you're travelling very soon and need to for business, and if you're persistent enough you'll leave that day wih a new passport.

I have direct knowledge of that working, but using the 3rd party service is still +EV. I've used Omega Visa Service in Los Angeles in the past, I trust them.

geormiet
10-23-2005, 06:39 PM
No, I'm in the bay area now. I'll try calling the agency during business hours, see if I can speak to a real person.

Ulysses
10-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Type it into google. Have new passport in 24 hours.

Ulysses
10-23-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not happening. Not in 4 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

Ulysses
10-23-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Change your flight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. This has been covered many times in OOT. Simple google search will provide 24hr answer.

Ulysses
10-23-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You need to go to the nearest State Dept. Office and get an emergency passport. It will cost some money. You can get one same day but you may need to block out the whole day for the venture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much simpler than that. FedEx documents and check to expeditor. Get new passport FedEx'd back next day.

Ulysses
10-23-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I found a place that charges about 140 for the expediting fee. This seem reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I used American Passport Express.

Ulysses
10-23-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They won't be any faster than you doing it yourself. Cut out the middle man.

[/ QUOTE ]

No standing in line, no appointment, no visit to regional passport center. In many cases, it is not even possible to get a passport as fast as these guys can get you one.