PDA

View Full Version : hands vs. a maniac

numeri
10-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Preface: Villain here has raised quite a few hands, so I've decided to 3-bet once I get something reasonable. I know we all hate multi-hand posts, but there's a theme.

This is Absolute 1/2 6-max.

======================================

Hand 1:
Villain is CO, and FWIW, BB is a 2+2er (I don't know who specifically.)

I have 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the Button.

Preflop: UTG folds, MP calls, Villain raises, I 3-bet, MP calls, Villain caps, we both call.

Flop (13.5 SB): A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif
MP checks, Villain bets, <font color="blue">I freeze like a deer in headlights and decide to call getting 14.5:1 for a set with implied odds, (I need to make up 6 SB, which should be easy.)</font> MP calls.

Turn (8.25 BB): A/images/graemlins/club.gif
MP checks, Villain bets, I fold.

So just fold on the flop, right? Other thoughts?

Hand 2:
(immediately following - Villain is MP and SB is 2+2er)

I'm CO with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif

Preflop: UTG folds, Villain raises, <font color="blue">I fold because I'm too scared to try to go heads-up with the LAG. 55 is too low, yes?</font>

Hand 3:
Villain is SB, Button is 45/6 and passive post-flop. Really bad.

I'm in BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Preflop: Folded to button who limps, Villain raises, <font color="blue">I 3-bet (?!)</font>, Button calls, Villain calls.

Flop (11.5 SB): 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Villain checks, I check (?), Button checks.

Turn (5.75 BB): T/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Villain checks, <font color="blue">I bet - this seems like a pretty stupid play</font>, Button calls, Villain calls.

River (8.75 BB): 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I check/fold.

Hand 4:
Villain is MP, SB is 2+2er, everybody else is loose and passive.

I'm in CO with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Preflop: UTG calls, Villain raises, I 3-bet, Button calls 3 cold, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, Villain caps, we all call.

Flop (20.5 BB): 6/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB checks, UTG checks, Villain bets, <font color="blue">I raise (?!)</font>, BB calls 2, UTG folds, Villain calls.

Turn (13.25 BB): 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
checked to me, <font color="blue">I spew and don't take my free card</font>, both call.

River (16.25 BB): A/images/graemlins/heart.gif
BB cecks, Villain checks, I bet, BB check/raises 0.25BB and is all-in, Vilain folds, I call of course. (River action is weird here, but "Villain" has been the maniac, so I continued with that notation.)

I think these all have aspects that are good and aspects where I show how some real lack of judgement. I recently made a stab at 2/4 and found myself pushed around by the real aggressive play there. Any thoughts or advice on these hands would be great.

Cheers,
~Dan

EDIT: Corrected river action on Hand 4. BB C/R, not the maniac Villain. Not that it matters.

EDIT2: Because I no count good.

10-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Assuming a maniac:
Hand one. Raise flop to get mp out. If you succeed call down. Otherwise check fold the turn.

Hand two. I also fold but there is merit to 3-betting and calling down regardless of flop vs a true maniac.

Hand four. Good isolation attempt. Too bad it didnt work. Check call the turn.

Hand five. Good isolation attempt. Too bad it didnt work. On the other hand A10s is good in multiway pots too. I like the flop raise. Eventhough everybody should have odds, some weak tighty might incorrectly fold. Take the free card on the turn. On the river I dont know really. Just dont fold.

Ps. Where is hand 3? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

10-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Hand 1 and 2.
I prefer to 3 bet hand 2 more than hand 1.

Hand 3. I bet the flop. Check the turn.
Hand 4. ATs. I'm closer to a fold than a 3 bet. But after seeing the button cold call 3 bets in hand 3, I'm more inclined just to call the 2 here. Utg is already in, I know buttons coming and I'm really not too upset if the blinds come along at this point.

and of course. "I spew and don't take the free card."

BTW. There are only three types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

DavidC
10-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Firstly, I /images/graemlins/heart.gif maniacs.

Secondly, is there a converter for absolute? I'm guessing not. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Oh well, no worries.

---

When you isolate a maniac, you have to know that everyone will fold other than the will fold preflop other than a maniac, or that they will be very passive and hopefully weak-tight post-flop, OR you should be willing to take your hand to showdown for multiple bets vs 2 people.

Hand 1: Three betting this is okay. You have to choose between two lines on the flop: RF/BT/FSD, or calling the flop, then calling to the river vs the maniac or folding if MP calls the flop.

Hand 2: Reraise if you can get it HU, otherwise fold.

Hand 3: Bet the flop, don't bet the turn.

Hand 4: Don't reraise. Villlain is capping with a huge range of hands and it doesn't appear that you'll be able to get this HU.

numeri
10-23-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, is there a converter for absolute? I'm guessing not. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Oh well, no worries.

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean the 15 minutes I spent typing the damn thing wasn't good enough for you?!?! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And no, there is currently no working convertor for the new Absolute hand histories.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: Three betting this is okay. You have to choose between two lines on the flop: RF/BT/FSD, or calling the flop, then calling to the river vs the maniac or folding if MP calls the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I guess I took the second line unintentionally. After I called, I thought the RF/BT/FSD line would have been better, but I still didn't know how aggressive villain was postflop.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.