PDA

View Full Version : Too aggressive? Paradise 10+1 tourney

Jabba
06-06-2003, 07:23 AM
Second orbit blinds at 10/20.

I have about 1300 chips and I have just 'stolen' the blinds + 1 limper.

Im in middle position and its folded to me.

I have J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif and open for 80. Its folded to the blinds, where the small blind (the chipleader around 2200) reraises 80. I call. Pot=340

Flop: A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif T /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif giving me middle pair and backdoor straight and backdoor flush. SB checks and I bet (thinking that he tried to resteal and missed) 300. He calls. Pot = 940

Turn 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif that couldnt be much better. middle pair, open straight and a flush draw and what can he have? Is he just calling along? I bet 500 (should I have gone allin?) and he raises me allin and I call.

The River is the 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif and SB turns over AA for a flopped set.

Should I have seen this earlier? At the turn, when Im reraised I have plenty of outs, so I believe the call is correct. Did I play to aggressive on the flop or turn?

Al_Capone_Junior
06-06-2003, 08:38 AM
Yes.

I think your problem here started pre-flop. You opened for 4x the blind, then got reraised. You've got to realize that few players will do this without either a big ace or a pair (usually big). Then the flop came and you made a large bet, about the size of the pot and almost 1/3 of your stack. This bet got called by the reraiser. You've got to realize that you're beat at this time. I think checking along on the flop would have been better. After you made a large flop bet, and got called, you've got to give him credit for having a piece of the flop. Many players like to slowplay top pair on the flop (not that it's correct to do so), and he did call a rather large bet from you. Betting the turn was wrong here, you should have taken the free card. The reason for this is that you have a hand that doesn't want to get raised if you bet, which is exactly what happened. You see, you have a hand that is good, and has lots of ways to improve, but doesn't want to pay for a huge raise to draw. You shouldn't have bet/raised on any street unless you would have welcomed a raise/reraise.

al