PDA

View Full Version : Playing Rags

10-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Does anyone ever get a hand like QJo in early or middle position and play it just cause?

Is it a major leak? Is it odd that I have to talk myself out of sometimes playing hands that I know I shouldnt be part of?

10-23-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone ever get a hand like QJo in early or middle position and play it just cause?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only when I'm playing bad. I may limp it if it's my last hand at the table but that's it and I fold it to a raise. I know that's dumb but that's how I am.
[ QUOTE ]
Is it a major leak? Is it odd that I have to talk myself out of sometimes playing hands that I know I shouldnt be part of?

[/ QUOTE ]

I get this way sometimes and when I do I know I'm too tired to play and it's always after I've been playing for a couple hours. I try to justify calling/raising even though I'm not losing, just cuz I'm worn down.

edit i dont think it's a "major" leak if 1) you play well post flop and 2) fold it to a raise.

10-23-2005, 10:07 AM
I definitely have no problems chucking it if I hit anything lower than 2pair. And raises arent even a consideration. Basically im just fufilling a need to play, even with marginal cards.

Basically it plays like a big blind

scrapperdog
10-23-2005, 10:13 AM
IMO there is no problem with you playing this in middle position as long as you are not gonna get into a battle with top pair. Sounds like you are not so I dont see a problem.

BlackRain
10-23-2005, 11:03 AM
I think its better to save this kind of play for higher limits where there is a lot of thinking going on. Occasionally pulling weird stuff like this will give you an element of deception and an edge on the game.

At Small stakes, tight ABC poker is the way to go. I don't think its profitable in almost any circumstances to be playing QJo in EP at small stakes tables. I personally don't even like this hand in MP. I'm definetely chucking it in MP when I am first to enter the pot.

edit: just to be clear i'm talking about full ring and full ring only here.