PDA

View Full Version : checkers

bleu329
10-23-2005, 08:25 AM
how much strategy is there to this game?

how big of an advantage does skill hold?

should the best player always win?

can you "play perfect checkers?"

___SK___
10-23-2005, 11:20 AM
there is strat in checkers cause most people dont know that in checkers you MUST make a jump if its available.

Randy_Refeld
10-23-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how much strategy is there to this game?

how big of an advantage does skill hold?

should the best player always win?

can you "play perfect checkers?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading once that they have checkers tournaments that start form a random position beasue starting form teh beginning there is one side that can do no worse than tie.

gumpzilla
10-23-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I remember reading once that they have checkers tournaments that start form a random position beasue starting form teh beginning there is one side that can do no worse than tie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is basically right; there are several recognized openings that are roughly equal but give some play, and the opening for each game is randomly selected from among these. True random positions would probably be godawful.

10-23-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
there is strat in checkers cause most people dont know that in checkers you MUST make a jump if its available.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, and because of this strategy does play a vital role in checkers. I will be able to beat a lesser player almost all of the time. However, I have not studied deeply into the game as I do not think perfect play is hard to achieve. Therefore, there is only so much skill and eventually a ceiling where two players would be of equal skill at the highest level. I am not certain of this.