PDA

View Full Version : River..

Roy6
10-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Villain here is postflop LAGgy, 47/9/2.2
Is this standard?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Transference
10-23-2005, 09:25 AM
I dont think this is the hand to go into a shell and get to showdown as cheap as you can with.

Why did you call the flop? Was it for your set outs? Was it for your backdoor flush? OR was it because you figured there was a good chance you were ahead against this lag?

I dont see any reason to call this flop, 3bet or fold.

The way you played hand looks like I think im ahead, im probably not ahead but ill call, I'm probably not ahead, I think i might ahead again.

sthief09
10-23-2005, 09:35 AM
river is close. most likely he turned a flush and is trying to checkraise you again. maybe you don't have many hands on him though, which I suspect since 47/9/2.2 is such a rare breed of player.

but I play it the same. you hate to get c/r'ed on the turn holding a spade (with no spade I bet and take the c/r like a man, then fold), so you check it through. on the river you're not gonna win too often but he's an idiot so it's probably ok

sthief09
10-23-2005, 09:36 AM
headsup with position, I can't think of a single situation that's ever 3-bet or fold except a complete bluff

Transference
10-23-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
headsup with position, I can't think of a single situation that's ever 3-bet or fold except a complete bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? With a player with those stats in 3/6 I tend to think of it as a slightly ahead or way behind spot. If the plan were to raise most turns I certainly see the logic in a call, but against his range and on this board theres quite a few turns I don't like. What I like less is giving cards to a player with a wide range with a vulnerable hand.

Then again I've been battling with a strong dislike for calling down and its almost certainly something I need to work on.

sthief09
10-23-2005, 09:48 AM
you're nto giving cards to someone. he's probably going to showdown because he likes his hand. if he does fold he probably has 3 or 6 outs, which you'd rather bluff twice more than fold right here. your hand's vulnerability doesn't really matter either for the same reasons.

that's not to say I don't like 3-betting the flop. against someone I feel is very laggy I will raise the turn here and bet the river and call down a turn 3-bet. if I'm not quite sure I'll 3-bet and call down if capped. on this particular board, I would tend to 3-bet the flop since it's not likely he'll pay off a turn raise and river bet without a pair. if he was less laggy I'd just call it down.

calling is good. you should learn to like it

Transference
10-23-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
on this particular board, I would tend to 3-bet the flop since it's not likely he'll pay off a turn raise and river bet without a pair

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I was along the same lines of thinking for 3bet but focusing too much on vulnerability. I think continuing along my train of though I also have more of a problem getting the river bet when there are 2-3 overcards and/or a possible flush on a board where Ive gotten what amounts to some pretty good heat on the flop. It bothers me more on this board given that the hands that I have beat are often pretty unlikely, namely im betting the river hoping a 2 or 3 will call.

The reason I said 3bet or fold was that I think there are quite a few players in 3/6, even ones with high AF who are very unlikely to c/r a flop w/o top pair.

[ QUOTE ]
calling is good. you should learn to like it

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice that probably goes unsaid pretty often in this forum. I appreciate the well thought out post.