PDA

View Full Version : $33: vs loose passive

Insty
10-23-2005, 04:44 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed)

MP3 (t715)
CO (t530)
Button (t560)
SB (t860)
BB (t915)
UTG (t860)
UTG+1 (t1155)
Hero (t730)
MP2 (t1675)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t70</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls t40.

Flop: (t155) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, BB calls t150.

Turn: (t455) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t325</font>, BB calls t325.

River: (t1105) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB bets t200, <font color="#CC3333">Hero calls all-in t185</font>

Final Pot: t1105

I think I may have played this badly. I got all my chips in though!
Any thoughts? What should I have done?

Sciolist
10-23-2005, 05:34 AM
I know a lot of people here really like betting the pot every time, but personally, I don't. You get to the point where the only hands that call you are held by total idiots or by hands that beat you.

Personally, I'd be betting 3x preflop for T90. I'd then be betting perhaps 66-75% of the flop, given that action. Same for the turn. This ends up giving pretty much the same result, but I prefer that route in, damnit. Fewer hands are calling you preflop, and in general it lets you get away from more hands after the flop if you have to. Best to standardise play for future pots.

In your case, you really can't pass for T185 on the river. You really shouldn't HAVE T185 left - I'd simply be all-in on that turn with the chip positions you end up with. Let's say he has a flush draw or some such, you may as well make it a worse mistake than it would be for him to call otherwise, you really cannot let go of the hand for so little on the river when the pot is that large.

EricW
10-23-2005, 06:00 AM
I'd make the c-bet, however, I'd bet 1/3-1/2 the pot and hope to pick it up without using too many chips. Doing that also keeps the pot small.

On the turn, after, I'm checked to, I check behind to induce a bluff. To be honest, most of the time, the only hands that will call you will be something that you can't beat. Although that's not always true 'cause there are lots of donks out there. But generally, there's a 0 expectation for betting in this scenario. I also don't think it's very likely that he's drawing to a runner runner flush.

That being said, I check on the turn. Then on the river, he'll probably take a stab at the pot and I'll call down. If checked to, I don't know what's the best play to be honest. I'd probably just check behind but depending on the opponent and the board, a value bet might not be a bad idea

Sciolist
10-23-2005, 06:09 AM
I don't think that making a 1/3 pot continuation bet is right. Would you bet 1/3 pot if you hit tptk? The point of a continuation bet is to represent that you did, afterall.

If the player's loose passive, I'm going to assume they aren't going to make stabs at the pot or represent cards. I certainly agree that inducing a bluff vs. a LAG is a different matter entirely.

I don't think that checking behind on the river is a good idea if there was no turn action. What worries us here? He has not demonstrated any strength.

Insty
10-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Here's what I was thinking. What I wasn't thinking is the important bit.

Preflop:

Weyhey a decent hand! Should I fold this? Probably, but it's soooted, and when I raised with Kings everyone folded and I won the tiny blinds, it's worth a shot. Need to put in a range that wont get called by too many random hands. It needs to be more than a minraise, but not too much. 70 will do.
Oh no the loose guy has called me, thats ok he's probably got something crap.

Flop:

Damn would have been nice to hit something.
Ok, he's checked, he probably missed too, maybe I can represent a PP of Tens or better.. I need a contination bet, but I don't want it to be too small that he'll call with his JT overcards. I'll bet the pot.
What I didn't think about at the time, There are no straight/flush possibilities on the board.

What he called? Why? That makes no sense.

Turn:

Yeah! top pair. I think I'm probably good, if he had AK he probably would have reraised ai on the flop.

He checked again.

He's gotta be drawing to something, the way things have been going for me today it's probably 4s 3s.
If it's a spade flush I dont want him to get it cheaply.

Lets chuck in a 3/4 of the pot size bet to scare him off once and for all.

What?! he called that too? The guy's a nutcase.

River:

Bollocks, the straight and the flush got there.

Villain bets 200.
Crap, I've only got 185 left, why didn't I just push the turn!?
I'm probably behind here. But I've only got 185 left, the pot is huge, he's probably totaly bluffing here some of the time. I've gotta know what he has though, If It's some rubbish like 92o at least I'll feel justified in complaining about it. I've gotta call.

tigerite
10-23-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure I would cont bet this flop. All it will do is get lesser aces to fold (which you don't want) and pairs to call (which you also don't want). I mean, maybe you'd get 88 to fold here, but I doubt it. I'd also raise to 90 preflop.

His check on this flop is not necessarily a sign of weakness because it's rainbow, and paired. If it was a scary flop and he checks to you and you have position, that's the best time to cont bet. You don't have to do it 100% of the time.

stupidsucker
10-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Preflop:
AQs in MP can be big trouble. I think the raise is fine, but be ready to dump it. I like limping better if you are going to play it. Sounds to me like you justified playing this because your KK took the blinds.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh no the loose guy has called me, thats ok he's probably got something crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

You knew the loose guy was the BB and you were surpirsed he called?

Flop:
This flop is no good vs a player that has shown he is unpredicable. Make a halfpot C-bet and hope to take it down.

[ QUOTE ]
What he called? Why? That makes no sense.{/quote]
sounds to me like you knew perfectly well he may call. How does it not make sense that the guy you labled "the loose guy" has called you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn:

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah! top pair. I think I'm probably good, if he had AK he probably would have reraised ai on the flop.

He checked again.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to play AQ, you have to know when it is a trap. Is this situation a trap all the time? hell no. Even if AQ is chip EV to play it this way I feel it is situations like this that make AQ a bad hand. You have top pair, 2nd kicker. On a paired flush-straight draw board agaisnt a loose BB.

[ QUOTE ]
He's gotta be drawing to something, the way things have been going for me today it's probably 4s 3s.
If it's a spade flush I dont want him to get it cheaply.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about A9, or 2x?

Because of your preflop raise and large C-bet you are better to just go all in now. Had you played smaller in the early betting rounds it would be easier to get away from this.

[ QUOTE ]
Lets chuck in a 3/4 of the pot size bet to scare him off once and for all.

What?! he called that too? The guy's a nutcase.

[/ QUOTE ]

At what point do you give him credit for a possible hand?

River:

You are commited now.

my opinions are just that... opinions. Hope they help