PDA

View Full Version : Recipes, how to cook etc.

sublime
10-23-2005, 04:12 AM
hi dikshits-

i want to start cooking. mostly to improve my health, but also to curb the amount of spending i do on takeout. plus i need a hobby other than gaining weight.

are there any sites for guys like me (young, single, handsome) that can help me cook via recipes etc..

i am talking simple stuff here. mostly chicken, fish, veggie meals.

i did the old google search, but OOt always seems to come thru.

radar5
10-23-2005, 04:23 AM
Why don't you start out slow? Try things like ramen noodles and meals in a box(not frozen dinners) at the grocery store. Although, if it's just you at home, frozen dinner are kinda ok....

loudog
10-23-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Try things like ramen noodles and meals in a box(not frozen dinners) at the grocery store. Although, if it's just you at home, frozen dinner are kinda ok....

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the man wants to get healthier, not edge closer to a heart attack.

radar5
10-23-2005, 04:28 AM
ok, well, in that case....try foodtv.com. um.....rachel rae(SP?) 30 minite meals (in the search function you can ask for a show) That should do the trick....

Ulysses
10-23-2005, 04:33 AM
Allrecipes.com - web's best recipe website for young, single, handsome men. (http://allrecipes.com/)

10-23-2005, 06:24 AM
Pick up julia child's "the way to cook".
Book Link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0394532643/qid=1130062918/sr=8-4/ref=pd_bbs_4/103-5503356-9235058?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)
Consider a cooking class. If you're in Vegas, I know a good one.

tonypaladino
10-23-2005, 06:29 AM
And a hello Dikshit to you as well.

Pick up a copy of the Joy of Cooking. Read the introductions, and the little informative sections before each set of recipes. It will help you a lot about different ingredients, and what goes with what.

Transference
10-23-2005, 06:43 AM
A stud like you doesnt have a woman cooking for him?

I call that disgusting

dblgutshot
10-23-2005, 06:48 AM
I enjoy http://www.cookingforengineers.com/

2+2 wannabe
10-23-2005, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you start out slow? Try things like ramen noodles and meals in a box(not frozen dinners) at the grocery store. Although, if it's just you at home, frozen dinner are kinda ok....

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL hahahaha

worst. advice. ever.

no offense

to the OP - I hear food in bar form does wonders!

StevieG
10-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Cooking for yourself is the best way to monitor your diet, and it's a great life skill. Good luck to you.

1. Buy the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/069621881X/qid=1130071513/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-6557275-9549417?v=glance&s=books&n=507846). It has all the classic American fare you might want to cook, simple clear instructions on basic cooking techniques, and lots of photos to help you verify that things look right.

2. Get yourself a notebook or recipe box with index cards to collect the recipes you like making.

3. Here's a link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=3529459) to a recipe for baking fish with no fat added in about 20 minutes. Better yet, it's in the middle of a whole thread on simple recipes for college students.

RacersEdge
10-23-2005, 09:30 AM
I got a couple cookbooks called "Going solo in the kitchen" or something like that. I have yet to crack them open. Maybe this post will inspire me to do so.

10-23-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm pretty good around the kitchen. Haven't poisoned anybody yet, at least. And I've got a well-worn Betty Crocker Cookbook. It has a lot of easy to learn recipes for basic dishes.

For a lot of years now when I wanted to know something about a subject, a new software program for instance, I've been buying one of the "For Dummies" books. They get me started and then the manuals make more sense.

A few months ago I found a "Cooking for Dummies" and bought it. It's got a helluva lot of beginner information and recipes. It's become a handy reference for me. Next time in the book store look it over.

phil_ivey_fan
10-23-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hi dikshits-

i want to start cooking. mostly to improve my health, but also to curb the amount of spending i do on takeout. plus i need a hobby other than gaining weight.

are there any sites for guys like me (young, single, handsome) that can help me cook via recipes etc..

i am talking simple stuff here. mostly chicken, fish, veggie meals.

i did the old google search, but OOt always seems to come thru.

[/ QUOTE ]

get subscription to men's health. 2 birds, one stone.

no thanks necessary

astroglide
10-23-2005, 02:19 PM
i never cook, but whfoods.com is one of my favorite food resources and they have tons of recipes

10-23-2005, 02:21 PM
If you really want to start cooking I think the web is a great place to start (there are a few good recommendations in this thread already), but I would recommend that you also get at least one good general cookbook to keep in your kitchen. It will be a handy reference for when you're actually in the kitchen and working at it. Some of the more famous ones are The Joy of Cooking and Betty Crocker's Cookbook. Both are good.

CardSharpCook
10-23-2005, 02:32 PM
CIA textbooks (http://www.ciaprochef.com/fbi/textbooks_professional_chef.html)

I happen to consider this book to be the only cookbook you need. The CIA does awesome cookbooks. There is also a nutritional cookbook you can find there. As much fun as ti is to do all your cooking from webpages, get a book, bro.

Brain
10-23-2005, 02:46 PM
I get most of my stuff from foodnetwork.com (http://www.foodnetwork.com). I've been to epicurious.com (http://www.epicurious.com) before and that seems okay too. Enjoy!

Colonel Kataffy
10-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Check out Alton Brown's (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea) recipes. Better yet, watch his show. He really teaches you how to cook as opposed to just cooking something fancy infront of a camera like most on air chef's. Definitely the best way to get started.

Blarg
10-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Cooks.com. Epicurious.com. How to Cook Everything, by Mark Brittman I think his last name is. Joy of Cooking. Lots of great cookbooks out there.

Cookbooks vary widely in quality and appeal. Some slip into assuming you know how to do this or that technique, or can get uncommon ingredients easily. There are lots of things that can seem to make them extra flawed or extra good. So I recommend a trip to the bookstore. It's worth the money to get good recipes and hints on cooking technique and general food preparation. Check the remainders bins, too, at your bigger bookstores. Really good cookbooks are on sale at steep discounts regularly. This is a good way to get exposure to lots of cool recipes without even buying a book, too.

I'd also suggest a nice big crockpot. Throw crap in, pay zero attention to it come back hours later or after work, and it's hot and ready. Very flavorful, too, as the spices stay in the pot flavoring the food instead of vaporizing into the air. Toss the extras in the freezer or fridge. Freezer is ideal, if you have the room, because you can build up a backlog of a wide variety of good meals that only need reheating. Nice to have a variety of good tasting, no effort stuff on hand.

Crockpots are quite cheap, too. For a beginning cook, it's hard to imagine anything either as easy or with as high a payback on effort as a crockpot. Tis the season, too -- getting colder now. Great for soups and stews, chili, slow-cooking meats to make them really tender, casseroles, etc. You can even bake cornbred and cakes in them, etc.

citanul
10-23-2005, 03:43 PM
"how to cook anything"

c

Cancer Merchant
10-23-2005, 03:45 PM
The Fannie Farmer cookbook. Dumb name, great book. It has both the basics and fancy meals.

SmileyEH
10-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Just buy some olive oil and cook things in it. Seriously, when you're starting out you don't need cookbooks. It's more fun to experiement with simple stuff.

-SmileyEH

jaydub
10-23-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"how to cook anything"

c

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean "how to cook everything" by Mark Bittman? Great book.

Reqtech
10-23-2005, 06:45 PM
If you're serious about learning how to cook, I suggest finding a cooking class to get you founded on the basics (paring, chopping, slicing, etc) down properly. I had the good forture to be a cook for a local family run restaurant, so I got to learn on the job. Learning how to properly use knives is probably not something that you'll get clearly from a book.

Once you got the basics down, there have already been some quality books listed, though allrecipes.com is EXCELLENT to find recipe ideas.

Buy a nicer set of knives, look to spend around 100-150 for a decent set. Nice sharp knives both make cooking easier and safer.

Try to make a new recipe every couple weeks. If it turns out good, get it on a big notecard and save it for later. Before long, you'll have a nice stable of recipes to impress the honeys with (hardly any woman younger than 30 knows how to cook worth a damn).

Good cooking takes practice, and the trial and error part to find out what you like is the fun part.

Another suggestion since it's that time of year for those of us with four seasons is to get a crockpot. Crockpot recipes are probably the easiest in cooking, and can be quite good.

BottlesOf
10-23-2005, 06:46 PM
I got a few books, they're giving me decent resutls so far. If you go to amazon and search for things like "cooking for one" or 5 ingredients in less than 10 minutes, there shoudl be some stuff for you.

Blarg
10-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Another crockpot endorsement. Crockpots are great stuff.

10-24-2005, 04:48 PM
a day late.. but..

I used to find myself going to the grocery store with the intention of getting a lot of healthy stuff (meaning lots of produce).. then when it came around to it, the stuff would rot in my fridge. Especially true when it's just you or you and someone else.

So now, my fiance and I make a menu for the week. We shop for exactly what we need.. and there's no waste. Typically, we'll make a big batch of soup some time in the week, and freeze the leftovers (for lunch). Soup is great, because it's typically healthy - and it's good to start with - if you're just learning to cook. But the whole menu-making is great.. it encourages you to stick to a plan - you eat better, and it's much cheaper, since there's little waste. If you have the stuff in the fridge waiting for you, you're not encouraged to say, "screw it" and grab a burger down the street.

10-24-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a day late.. but..

I used to find myself going to the grocery store with the intention of getting a lot of healthy stuff (meaning lots of produce).. then when it came around to it, the stuff would rot in my fridge. Especially true when it's just you or you and someone else.

So now, my fiance and I make a menu for the week. We shop for exactly what we need.. and there's no waste. Typically, we'll make a big batch of soup some time in the week, and freeze the leftovers (for lunch). Soup is great, because it's typically healthy - and it's good to start with - if you're just learning to cook. But the whole menu-making is great.. it encourages you to stick to a plan - you eat better, and it's much cheaper, since there's little waste. If you have the stuff in the fridge waiting for you, you're not encouraged to say, "screw it" and grab a burger down the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I do. There is a nice little formatted Excel sheet on microsofts website, that plans a menu out.