PDA

View Full Version : Loss of confidence

10-23-2005, 03:51 AM
I'm starting to have a really difficult time maintaining confidence during play. For about 15 months I've gained, every month, even if small sometimes. This month it's negative, about a 150BB swing. I play 6-max primarily.

At this point, my main problem is believing I can compete. I expect to lose. No board seems remotely safe, every card seems to make someone's 2-outer. I've reviewed a bunch of hands and mostly my play looks fine. I've managed to bet when ahead and fold when beat. The problem is I'm winning small hands and losing every single major hand. The 15BB pots never come my way, but I rake in the 4-5BB ones all the time. The exact opposite of what's desired.

As a result, I've lost my confidence in my play and my enjoyment of the game with it. Outside of just taking time off, what do people do to regain the mental mindset that they're good at poker?

Lash
10-23-2005, 04:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to have a really difficult time maintaining confidence during play. For about 15 months I've gained, every month, even if small sometimes. This month it's negative, about a 150BB swing. I play 6-max primarily.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the exact same scenario I'm in. Thing is....I'm not looking at it quite as "monthly" as you are. And maybe that's just it.... are you a winner or are you a loser? Not monthly, but rather overall.

If you are a winner, this is all just a setback, if you are a loser then you are in trouble.

Lets just assume for a moment that you are a winner... just like me /images/graemlins/cool.gif Try not to let this setback effect your play too much until you are certain that your play is what is contributing to the downswing.

If your play is truly in question..., maybe some slight adjustments are in order, but just remember that there is not that much difference between your play on average and that of a proven champion. You will get the money in the long run if you are a winning player.

10-23-2005, 04:41 AM
Just keep rereading HUSH forums and your poker books and review your game constantly.

-150BB swings arent that uncommon at all in shorthanded games.

Mister Z
10-23-2005, 12:19 PM
I know EXACTLY how you feel right now because I'm in the middle of the same scenario. Where it seems like every hand is the perfect hand to get sucked out on and it seems like every fish at the table hits their 3-outter... and then they do it again. But believe me, a 150BB downswing is standard and at 6-max I think it is routine. This will not be the last and your downswing might not even be over. Something I just did that made me feel a little better was download a poker graphing software from the poker tracker website. It made it seem a little more clear to me that I'm a winning player and that 150BB is just a drop in the bucket over the long term. You should always be working on your game and all, but of your 150BB downswing I bet maybe as much as 10BB's could be due to mistakes. Good luck to you... try reading some before you start playing. That usually gets me in the spirit.

Mister Z
10-23-2005, 12:24 PM
I freaking love your avatar...

10-23-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But believe me, a 150BB downswing is standard and at 6-max I think it is routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. I've had them before and while annoying, they haven't gotten to me because usually by this time each month I've either been ahead enough the 150BB doesn't send me negative, or I've already had it and recovered /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm taking your "read books" advice though. I'm rereading SSH. I've hit the point where I look at a flop and see monsters under each card. My ability to read the texture has dissapeared with my confidence.

groo
10-23-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a 150BB downswing is standard and at 6-max I think it is routine

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've hit the point where I look at a flop and see monsters under each card

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...thanks to both of you for this post, it's almost as if you were channeling me when you typed this ckessel. It's been so bad of late for me that the last two nights I had to stop playing after 40 minutes and go hit the wife and kick the dog (j/k) in order to not do damage to the computer.

Though none of this is new information and though I'm sorry you're going through it, I'm glad you both shared.....I feel my usual calmness and serenity returning. Now if I can get that through to the wife and dog.........

Vavavoom
10-24-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm starting to have a really difficult time maintaining confidence during play..

FWIW, I'm down $700 (7 buy-ins) since last thursday....Thats my biggest downswing in 17 months....

I'm at a loss at what to do...It all stems to 3 hands that if I win....I'm flying .....However, I didn't and thats half the problem...

I'd like advice at what to do...Should I drop down a level ?

Warren Whitmore
10-25-2005, 07:49 AM
One thing you can try is enter a couple of cheap ($5 entry tourneyments). If you win or place in a couple it will build your confidence. If not it wont cost much.