PDA

View Full Version : FILM REVIEW: A Mighty Wind

diebitter
10-23-2005, 03:00 AM
It sounds like some dumb Segal/Van Damme movie, but it isn't! This offering is from much of the same crew that brought you Spinal Tap, Best In Show, and Waiting For Guffman.

It's a mockumentary/comedy about a reunion concert of various folk bands as a tribute to their previous manager/promoter, and is the usual funny-but-subdued style of the films mentioned. Much of the comedy arises from the characters' sense of reality not really fitting the real world, or each other. It's low-key, and you need to be in a relaxed and quiet frame of mind, but it is quite rewarding if you are willing to put in a small bit of effort.

There are 3 main groups in the concert, representing different faces of folk, I guess (I'm no expert). There's a big, clap-happy troupe (Mamas and Papas sort of thing I guess), a straight folk band that got famous once by releasing a novelty record, and a girl-boy duo that are more folk-pop that folk.

For the most part the songs are played straight and are not comedic (with one or two exceptions), and this works well in the film's favour and the most touching is probably the pair Mitch and Mickey, who sort of had something that's gone, but still have some sort of regret and feelings left. Their song 'Kiss at the End of the Rainbow', is genuinely poigniant, and when they perform it, it's the film's emotional highpoint.

I'm finding it hard to properly express the type and level of comedy here, so I'm just going to quote some of the lines to give you a feel on what's in this film:

Jonathan Steinbloom: [referring to his mother] You could say she was overly protective - I just like to think she cared about me, which she did, a lot. And I was a member of the chess team and whenever we would have chess tournaments I had to wear a protective helmet, I had to wear a football helmet. Now who knows what she was thinking? Maybe she thought that we might have fallen maybe and impaled our heads on a pointy bishop or something, I don't know.

Terry Bohner [talking about her personal beliefs]: This is not an occult science. This is not one of those crazy systems of divination and astrology. That stuff's hooey, and you've got to have a screw loose to go in for that sort of thing. Our beliefs are fairly commonplace and simple to understand. Humankind is simply materialized color operating on the 49th vibration. You would make that conclusion walking down the street or going to the store.

If you think these are lame - don't bother with this film. If it think it might appeal, watch the film! Simple as that!

OVERALL: 2.5/5
REWATCHABILITY: Would stand yearly, if you like it.

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it (** new addition **)
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

Opinions/comments/arguments please, especially if you think I missed anything worth of discussion/expansion, or violently agree or disagree.

pryor15
10-23-2005, 03:07 AM
no option for "this is a complete waste of time and they should chop the print into pieces and make guitar pics"? or is that just zero?

you know, i really like this when i saw it in the theatre and was pretty sure i'd buy it on dvd, but i've had no desire to since, which is odd.

anyway, nice review, but no shout out for Bob Balaban's performance? that guy was awesome.

ptmusic
10-23-2005, 03:28 AM
If you liked the other films by the same folks, you will like this one. I laughed a ton.

-ptmusic

10-23-2005, 04:16 AM
Eugene Levy is very funny as Mitch. He's so eccentric that he's borderline insane. Very funny. The overall movie will probalby be disliked by most people but I still liked it. I give it a 3 on your rating system. The "Kiss at the end of the rainbow" song is amazing. I can't believe how emotional that part makes me, and it's being sung by two comedians in a dark comedy.

diebitter
10-23-2005, 04:30 AM
I agree about the song:

The lines:

"My love, my dear, my darling,
you're so far away from me,
though an ocean of tears divides us..."

and the way they are delivered, I find very moving.

pussy, huh? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

PS. If any of you cats or kittys want to hear it, PM me - I can point you to a source.

Los Feliz Slim
10-23-2005, 11:00 AM
IMO, Spinal Tap > Best in Show > Waiting for Guffman > Mighty Wind. Which doesn't mean I didn't like Mighty Wind, I just didn't like it as much as any of Christopher Guest's other similar movies.

The same team is currently in production on "For Your Consideration", another mockumentary.

Blarg
10-23-2005, 02:10 PM
You guys should check out some of Werner Herzog's latest features. He's made a brilliant art form of the mockumentary, and the commentary just continues the hoax brilliantly. Incident at Loch Ness is great.

ptmusic
10-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Where would you put "The Big Picture"? I think it was Christopher Guest's first as a director, with many of the same folks (Michael McKean for sure). Not a mocumentary, but funny as hell.

-ptmusic

Los Feliz Slim
10-23-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where would you put "The Big Picture"? I think it was Christopher Guest's first as a director, with many of the same folks (Michael McKean for sure). Not a mocumentary, but funny as hell.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

I love The Big Picture, probably more than any of these except Spinal Tap (although they're so different it's hard to compare). Martin Short is awesome in that movie, as is JT Walsh may he RIP.

"Oh, I see you're a director. That's great, Jimmy our busboy's a director!"

"Where are you from?"
"Iowa."
"Oh, really? My second ex-wife is from Illinois."

Quotes probably massacred as they are from memory.

ptmusic
10-23-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

I love The Big Picture, probably more than any of these except Spinal Tap (although they're so different it's hard to compare). Martin Short is awesome in that movie, as is JT Walsh may he RIP.

"Oh, I see you're a director. That's great, Jimmy our busboy's a director!"

"Where are you from?"
"Iowa."
"Oh, really? My second ex-wife is from Illinois."

Quotes probably massacred as they are from memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Martin Short, as agent, wooing new director Kevin Bacon:
"I haven't seen your work, but I know you are VERY talented."

Then he sees someone across the restaurant and yells with a smile: "Oh you.... I'm not talking to you!"

Also, the student films were hilarious.

-ptmusic

Los Feliz Slim
10-23-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Oh you.... I'm not talking to you!"

[/ QUOTE ]

After which he makes the phone-with-hand thingy and breathes "Call me!"

The Armchair
10-23-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, Spinal Tap > Best in Show > Waiting for Guffman > Mighty Wind. Which doesn't mean I didn't like Mighty Wind, I just didn't like it as much as any of Christopher Guest's other similar movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd switch W4G and AMW. I find Guffman very difficult for some reason, and I tend to watch movies many times, so this isn't a "one watch" bias.

Best in Show may be the best only because the production value of Spinal Tap is older. I'd give both at least a 3 and probably a 4 on this scale.