PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Los Angeles Earthquake

jason_t
10-23-2005, 12:16 AM
There was just an awesome earthquake (http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/ci10149481.html) in Los Angeles. While relatively weak on the Richter Scale and short in duration it's one of the most exciting I've ever felt (I was in Alaska in November 2002 during the 7.9 earthquake that struck 75 miles south of Fairbanks and was measured as far away as Louisiana) because I live extremely close to the epicenter. The coordinates for the earthquake were

34 deg. 0.8 min. N (34.013N), 118 deg. 27.1 min. W (118.452W)

and my apartment is at

34 deg. 1 min. N 118 deg. 24 min W

putting the distance to the epicenter at about 3 miles. There was one strong shake that caused my whole apartment to tremble which caught my attention in time for me to look around the apartment and see the little ripples afterwards shaking things in my apartment. The blinds in my apartment were shaking for about a minute. Here's a few charts showing the wavefrom from the earthquake.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/jason_t712/eq.jpg

You can read off the waveform in relation to the distance from the epicenter. Here are waveforms from the earthquake from farther away.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/jason_t712/eq2.jpg

BottlesOf
10-23-2005, 12:18 AM
Glad you're ok. What the hell are those images supposed to convey to us?

mslif
10-23-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Glad you're ok. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

jason_t
10-23-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Glad you're ok. What the hell are those images supposed to convey to us?

[/ QUOTE ]

The shaking of the ground. They are readouts from seismographs.

pokergrader
10-23-2005, 12:20 AM
Didn't feel anything in downtown

tonypaladino
10-23-2005, 12:21 AM
Wow. It must suck having to worry about earthquakes happening. We had a 4.something eathquake here when i was like 3 years old, and it scared the [censored] out of me.

jason_t
10-23-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't feel anything in downtown

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my friends and my ex live in the same apartment complex in Westwood. He didn't feel it and she did.

Cancer Merchant
10-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Even if they're small, they're still shakers if they're close enough. A 3.5 hit a mile from my apt. last month; felt like the whole place was jumping up and down. I hope I move before the Hayward Fault really lets loose.

Blarg
10-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Didn't feel anything in North Hollywood either.

Didn't even hear the idiot "Action News!" t.v. stations doing the usual action footage of nothing happening from their action news choppers, LIVE!

Blarg
10-23-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. It must suck having to worry about earthquakes happening. We had a 4.something eathquake here when i was like 3 years old, and it scared the [censored] out of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good size earthquake will scare most anyone, but it really is funny seeing people from out of state panic at a 3.0 or something. Lots of us Angelenos don't even get out of bed if it's not at least a 6.

jason_t
10-23-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not that scary, and a 3.0 is nothing to fret over. Just the proximity of my apartment to the epicenter made it feel awesome because the waveform hadn't had a chance to dissipate yet.

jason_t
10-23-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A good size earthquake will scare most anyone, but it really is funny seeing people from out of state panic at a 3.0 or something. Lots of us Angelenos don't even get out of bed if it's not at least a 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in Alaska, and to me a 6 also isn't much. When I was really young we had a huge one that broke a ton of [censored] in my parent's house. And especially after having felt that 7.9 in November of 2002 I'm not losing sleep over worrying about "the big one." This one just felt particularly awesome because it wasn't just a long rumble, it was one quick strong shake because I am so close to the slip point.

tonypaladino
10-23-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif I guess it's different when it's the first 1 in 100 years

tonypaladino
10-23-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not that scary, and a 3.0 is nothing to fret over. Just the proximity of my apartment to the epicenter made it feel awesome because the waveform hadn't had a chance to dissipate yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it felt cool? what you need to do is built some sort of simulator to sell to amusement parks. You can shop it to Disneyland

MelchyBeau
10-23-2005, 12:47 AM
My first earthquake in Cali, I slept through. My aunt was suprised I didn't notice it. My dorm room in college was near train tracks where a train would pass by every 3 hours. That is probably why I didn't feel it.

The second one I was awake for. I thought a train was passing by, then I realized there are no train tracks near me.

The third one I didn't feel it due to working on some machinery that vibrates alot (no not a dildo).

I want to feel a large earthquake, I think it would be cool.

Melch

TheMetetron
10-23-2005, 12:53 AM
The only earthquake I've ever felt that was worth it was the Loma Prieta quake in '89. At least that one had the house seeming like it was oriented sideways and stuff. That was cool.

Everything after that was a major letdown and I'm not even getting out of my chair for anything less than a 6 anymore.

Blarg
10-23-2005, 12:53 AM
It is kind of cool. What's kind of eerie is the strange way you can suddenly slip sideways from either, This is worth ignoring or This is cool, to OMFG I'm going to DIIIIIEEEEEEE !!!!!! with seemingly no intervening steps.

10-23-2005, 12:59 AM
there was an earthquake tonight?

either I was on the road or I was too drunk to know.

either way, I'm sorry I missed it. earthquakes are fun as long as people don't get hurt. then it's sad.

Jack of Arcades
10-23-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was living in SB we had a 3.something overnight and my parents freaked but I slept soundly through it. Then again, I slept through Hurricane Andrew, too.

Los Feliz Slim
10-23-2005, 02:54 AM
I like me some earthquakes, was in Beverly Hills and Laurel Canyon tonight and didn't feel this one. I always think the rain has something to do with them, and to me it makes sense, but the scientists say No. [censored] them, man. [censored] em all.

10-23-2005, 03:05 AM
I'd appreciate you including a works cited page if you copy my work, or else the next one will be a 9.

All the best,

Chuck.

kbfc
10-23-2005, 03:14 AM
Hrm. Didn't feel anything up in N. Hollywood. There was some extreme discomfort, but that was completely party poker's doing, nothing earthly.

I love earthquakes.....at least the ones that don't level cities....so I'm sorta bummed I didn't feel it.

jason_t
10-23-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So it felt cool? what you need to do is built some sort of simulator to sell to amusement parks. You can shop it to Disneyland

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it felt cool. There was a split second when the shaking was so strong I thought my ceiling was going to come down but that thought quickly subsided and my thoughts went to "[censored], this is awesome" and I wondered how big it was going to end up being. Turns out I should have been wondering how close it was going to end up being.

jason_t
10-23-2005, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only earthquake I've ever felt that was worth it was the Loma Prieta quake in '89. At least that one had the house seeming like it was oriented sideways and stuff. That was cool.

Everything after that was a major letdown and I'm not even getting out of my chair for anything less than a 6 anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing a lot of people in this thread are failing to understand is that the shaking they feel from an earthquake is dependent on more factors than just its number on the Richter scale. What is also important is the distance to the epicenter and type of ground between the epicenter and them.