PDA

View Full Version : Is Tony Scott pissing anyone else off?

10-22-2005, 10:23 PM
I have only seen two movies of his (that I'm aware of), Man on Fire and recently, Domino. Both seem to be filmed as thought the viewer has a perma-high on shrooms, with plenty of blurred screen or vibrating shots and various other things that make the movie basically impossible to watch. Are all of his movies like this? Plus, Domino was a cheater, they just lie about certain events happening without a lot of clues to lead up to it. The one exeption to this was the (SPOILER) part with the driver doing somethign suspicious with the money. The mafia boys not dying was a total cheat.

kbfc
10-22-2005, 10:25 PM
You've never seen Top Gun?

That said, I hate Tony Scott as a director, although QT's script manages to carry True Romance in spite of Tony Scott's best efforts to ruin it....

KneeCo
10-22-2005, 10:30 PM
I thought Spy Game was pretty damn good.

10-22-2005, 10:30 PM
I absolutely love his style. I think it's unique because the way he fast forwards little clips throughout the movie and pans in and out through the "character mode" by helping us see multiple points of view from each person that is suppose to be real time in the movie is awesome. I don't know how to explain it from a film director vocabulary, but I really feel that not that many people give him enough credit for his style.

Anyhow, from this list (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001716/) , I can say that I really enjoyed watching Top Gun, True Romance, Spy Game, Man on Fire, and hopefully Domino, once I watch that.

Honestly, if you appreciate movies at all, I think you got to appreciate Tony Scott for his individuality in the Hollywood world. Kind of like Tim Burton I think.

Blarg
10-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Tarantino seems to love him, but I haven't gotten my mind around loving his style yet.

send_the_msg
10-22-2005, 10:51 PM
domino was written by richard kelly (donnie darko) so that might explain why it's pretty weird. i thought it sucked...

10-22-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
domino was written by richard kelly (donnie darko) so that might explain why it's pretty weird. i thought it sucked...

[/ QUOTE ]

Contrary to popular belief, a movie being written by somehow doesn't mean that the director of the said movie should be judged the same way.

Look at Scarface. It was written by Oliver Stone but directed by Brian De Palma. Both were and are still tight, IMO.

send_the_msg
10-22-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Contrary to popular belief, a movie being written by somehow doesn't mean that the director of the said movie should be judged the same way.

Look at Scarface. It was written by Oliver Stone but directed by Brian De Palma. Both were and are still tight, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't believe that's the only reason, but i'm sure it could be submitted as evidence

10-22-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't believe that's the only reason, but i'm sure it could be submitted as evidence

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree. I was just trying to prove a point. And I think many people will agree/disagree with me, but just to clarify. A writer and a director should not be judged according to what the other person is capable of. Someone could write a dope ass script and have it directed by some shmuck, just as myself, who could [censored] it all up. Vice versa of course.

diebitter
10-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Two words to get you straight:

True Romance

kbfc
10-23-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two words to get you straight:

True Romance

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's two more for you:
Quentin Tarantino

private joker
10-23-2005, 07:14 AM
Scott's recent style does really suck. Man on Fire blew ass, and even his BMW short was in that hyper-active meth-addict reversal stock crap style.

But he's done some great films. As has been mentioned, True Romance and Spy Game are awesome. His best film is a little-seen Kevin Costner flick called "Revenge," which is one of my favorite movies of its genre. It totally goes against Hollywood conventions -- it looks great, Madeline Stowe is hot and naked, and the ending is brilliant. I also dug "Enemy of the State." I could give 4 sh|ts about Top Gun and Beverly Hills Cop 2 and The Hunger.

So yeah: Tony Scott 1990-2001, awesome. Tony Scott 2002-present & 1983-1988, wack.

oreogod
10-23-2005, 08:08 AM
Man on Fire kicked ass.

Blarg
10-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Madeleine Stowe, when she was at her height, was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen on this planet.

private joker
10-23-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Madeleine Stowe, when she was at her height, was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen on this planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen, brother. A-men.

beernutz
10-23-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

12 Monkeys

rusellmj
10-23-2005, 08:43 PM
He's going to direct a remake of The Warriors?