PDA

View Full Version : losing money with KJs and KJo ....

BigBiceps
10-22-2005, 10:04 PM
After over 40k hands I am losing money with KJs and KJo.

I have only cold called raises with KJs 8 times, and 2 times with KJo. The sample sizes are: 112 and 362 respectively.

Any advice on how I can stop this money loss? I can post whatever data needed to help analyze.

Thanks.

shant
10-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Post some KJ hands you think you had trouble playing. Not like 12 different ones, but pick a couple that were tough and post them.

10-22-2005, 10:16 PM
You should almost never cold call with KJs.

10-22-2005, 10:23 PM
like every book on hold em contains info on the perils of playing KJo. just avoid it in EP/MP.

W. Deranged
10-22-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what this means...

Poker is not best discussed in generalities and this is not a great case for it.

Times I think cold-calling with KJs might be fine:

1. Behind a loosish raiser and a couple of other cold-callers in position.

2. On the button behind a late position laggish open-raiser.

3. Out of one of the blinds when you are getting ridiculous odds in like a 6 or 7 way pot.

Harv72b
10-22-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While you shouldn't make a habit of it, there are times when you should cold call with KJs. KJo, however, you should never cold call with--if you have reason to believe the initial raiser is full of it, 3-bet, but don't cold call.

For the OP, that's probably a big chunk of your problem right there. That, and playing KJo from EP and playing KJs too passively for the table conditions. As Shant said, post some specific hands where you felt lost or unsure of your actions and see what kind of feedback you get.

W. Deranged
10-22-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
like every book on hold em contains info on the perils of playing KJo. just avoid it in EP/MP.

[/ QUOTE ]

An important thing to realize is that KJo, and other hands that have a high risk of domination, go up drastically in value as your post-flop play improves. Being able to make astute value bets in tough spots and to fold good hands significantly reduces the risks of playing a hand like KJo.

I regularly open-raise KJo in middle position, and will often raise it in middle to late position behind some weakish/loosish limpers (it plays reasonably well against the range of hands loose limpers will limp with). In the first three positions at a full table it's still always a fold for me.