PDA

View Full Version : 100NL full ring. How to bluff?

RED FACE
10-22-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm not talking about preflop or on the flop stealing.

eg: you limp pre in early position. later position makes a standard raise and you call(maybe one other call too. you miss and check, pfr bets close to pot(flop has A or K on it), folded to you...

How do you run a bluff at this point?

you call and check raise turn all in on non scare card?

or,

you size raise pfr and push any turn?

or what?

Yeah I know, depends on opponent, etc. Feel free to speak in general terms.

Or does no one ever do this?

I just moved from 50NL to 100 and while still profitable my sense is that I need to make some changes by adding some more bluffing of medium pots. I'd never do this at the 50's.

10-22-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just moved from 50NL to 100 and while still profitable my sense is that I need to make some changes by adding some more bluffing of medium pots. I'd never do this at the 50's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it would be more difficult too but it's not. It's all about table selection really. I have about the same WR in both games give or take .5PTBB/100 after my first 7k hands which includes a 3k hand downswing.

stu-unger
10-22-2005, 10:05 PM
in my experience bluffing is the quickest way to loose money at small stakes...

but if u really want to do it. first u must know the villain is capable of finding a fold. then u must look for favorable flops. ie if the flop in your example has a flush draw on it. call and bluff a scare card like 2nd pair pairing or a card completing the flush. i wouldnt advise doing this oop though...

ajmargarine
10-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Bluffing = -EV at 100NL

Unless you are talking about situations like you having T9s on the button, limped pot, 4 handed, flop is Q52 rainbow, checked to you, PSB bluff to take it down. Those are fine. Small orphan pots can be successfully bluffed and taken. Other than that, burning money. But if you insist:

--Has to be "level one" bluffs. Meaning, the immediate has to be apparent to villian. Flush card hits on the turn, checks/or medium bet to you, you bet big even though you don't have it.
--Villian, and I mean one villian, running bluffs through multiple villians is bad news...the better player villian is the better. You can't bluff the unbluffable.
--Sensing weakness helps alot. If they are betting strong, they ain't folding usually. C/r'ing in the face of weakness is fun.
--Bets have to have some oomph behind them.
--Single barrels only. Called and you are done with the hand.

There's a start. Now ignore and don't do it, save yourself the heartache. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RED FACE
10-22-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought it would be more difficult too but it's not. It's all about table selection really. I have about the same WR in both games give or take .5PTBB/100 after my first 7k hands which includes a 3k hand downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you bk swings go up noticably?

thanks

10-23-2005, 12:06 AM
I don't know what you mean by "BK"?

RED FACE
10-23-2005, 12:15 AM
Sorry, did your bankroll swings go up noticably?

Skuzzy
10-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Bluffing is -EV but is essential anytime you have players in a game you know well. A player who never bluffs and never turns up at the showdown with junk soon finds he never gets called. Despite this obvious truth, online at 100NL no one notices anyway. Once in a while some guy will comment on your 'solid' no nonsense play and if the loose players suddenly start respecting your bets/raises sit down somewhere else.

Bluffing is an essential skill to master but to get your feet wet try more semi-bluffing. Try and find spots where you could bluff, if you had nothing, but you at least have some outs if called (even just a gut shot). It gives you a cushion and lets you see just how often the bad players will call with top pair despite your "obvious flush".

From my own experience of being the fish I know that, whatever you put him on, 8/10 times he has you on a bluff anyway. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

10-23-2005, 12:30 AM
Nope. During that downswing I only lost 3 buyins. Took a couple days off to just play tourneys. Went back and am on a nice upswing now of ~7 buyins over my last 2200 hands. Though I dont think I ever lost 3 buyins at once at the $50

10-23-2005, 12:43 AM
I wouldn't say it's -EV... I'd just say you have to be careful with it. Very careful. Especially if you are aggressive. It makes the weak players very angry and they'll play back at you with anything.

It needs to be simple. And your most effective bluff will be risking large portions of your stack/all of your stack, since those are the ones that make the calling decisions hardest for the opponent.

Don't expect a lot of opponents to lay down two pair, top pair big kicker, trips, or straights. Oh and overpairs. Don't try to bluff the overpairs. That's an all in every time that you'll take the worst of.

RED FACE
10-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Ok, thanks all. I'll forget about making big pure bluffs for now and will try and find out what my problem is. Maybe just running bad esp in the cont bet dept.