PDA

View Full Version : This is my theory on blind defense

10-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Just a short description about blind defense

You can not play weak from the blinds and make any substantial $ online. So this is as important part of the game as any.

When you are in the sb, either 3 bet to a steal raise or fold. 3 bet hands like A8o A8s KTo K9s QJo QTs JTs 55 (or higher). Play the rest of the hand as normal. DO NOT SLIP INTO OUT OF CONTROL AGGRESSION. This is a common mistake agsinst one player. You may want to reraise the flop with nothing in order to try and get your opponent to fold. This is a rookie mistake.

From the big blind, 3 bet the same hands, but now you can flat call one more bet against a steal raise. Just call with :
Axo Axs K5s K9o Q8s Q8o J7s J7o T8s T9o 97s 98o 76s 65s
When you hit a pair or big draw then you need to check raise. On the flop either check raise or fold. The only time it is ok to call your opponents flop bet is when you plan on check raising the turn (which is rare and when you flop a set or better). If you plan on waiting for the turn to check raise, then YOU MUST BE SURE YOUR OPPONENT IS AGGRO ENOUGH TO BET THE TURN WHEN HE HASNT EVEN HIT A HAND YET. Another time it would be ok to just call your opponents flop bet is when you plan on leading the turn back into him (this is called a stop and go).

10-22-2005, 09:32 PM
The real question you should be asking (and answering) is why is this so?

W. Deranged
10-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Your system is neglecting the very important fact that it is very often correct to bet the flop in these situations.

bobhalford
10-22-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another time it would be ok to just call your opponents flop bet is when you plan on leading the turn back into him (this is called a stop and go).

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize if I'm wrong, but isn't this a donkbet or gaybet? Stop and go is when you bet, get raised, call the raise, then bet out on the next street.

10-22-2005, 11:36 PM
I approach blind defense with Sklansky's section of Holdem Poker for Advanced Players in mind. It may be alittle to agro since it appears to have a huge variance, but so far it is +EV. Only been using it for 20,000 hands; not very long.

10-23-2005, 12:19 AM
do you mean, just lead the flop (donk bet)?
im not sure i am following your response, but i do want to hear your opinion.

W. Deranged
10-23-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do you mean, just lead the flop (donk bet)?
im not sure i am following your response, but i do want to hear your opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

My main point is just that every hand you might make on the flop does not necessarily do best by check-raising. A really big hand often does better by leading and hoping to get raised, so you can either three-bet the flop or check-raise the turn. On very scary flops (say, a flop like A /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif), simply leading will often allow you to take the pot down with many hands (I'd always lead a hand like JT here), as your opponent may become very timid at the sight of such a board. Check-raising in such a situation might be detrimental, as you may tie your opponent to the hand psychologically when you'd prefer him to fold.