PDA

View Full Version : Any guitar players here?

10-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade to a more powerful amp for my electric guitar. Right now I have a fender 90 watt amp with a 12in speaker, but it seems to be lacking in power a bit.

Having only one speaker make me have to really play it loud which then creates a lot of feedback.

To make a long story short, I'm looking for a kick ass amp, hopefully with 2 speakers, for around 400 bucks. Anyone have any suggestions for one?

And/or is there something I'm doing wrong with my fender amp that makes it such a pos?

(BTW I play mostly punk guitar. Loud, distorted, fast power cord type stuff)

10-22-2005, 08:03 PM
If the fender lacks power, it probably just needs new power tubes. What's the model of that fender?

kbfc
10-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Why do you need more? 90W should be more than you need for anything. If you need to play a show where you need more volume, they'll just mic your amp and put it through the PA anyway. You're not going to get anything as big as you're looking for that sounds good for 400 bucks unless you come across some crazy used bargain.

Which model fender amp are you using now? There's a whole range of quality from complete [censored] (any of the new solid-state digital-fx crap) to [censored] incredible (twin reverb). The Blues Jr. is a pretty solid amp for a couple hundred bucks. It's 15W, which seems small, but it's an all tube amp, and gets a lot louder than you'd expect. Plus it's good for recording, in that you can really push the levels and dirty it up without also knocking down your walls.

Just whatever you do, don't go buy some Crate because the price seems great and it's got a bunch of crazy effects. You WILL regret it.

There are 3, and only 3, guitar amps everyone should ideally own and use:
- some sort of Marshall DSL or TSL, NOT a Valvestate.
- Fender Twin Reverb
- Vox AC30 or AC15TB

These are not cheap amps, but you can get stuff along those lines for less.

IHateKeithSmart
10-22-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish someone would have told me this RE: VS 5 years ago /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
- Vox AC30 or AC15TB

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely the correct answer, awesome amp.

For lower dollars, though, a lot of the digital modeling devices and amps provide quite a good value, especially if you're interested in experimenting with other sounds.

10-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Getting a lot of feedback could be the result of not properly muting the strings you arent using with your strumming hand's palm/wrist.

dizong
10-22-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you need more? 90W should be more than you need for anything. If you need to play a show where you need more volume, they'll just mic your amp and put it through the PA anyway. You're not going to get anything as big as you're looking for that sounds good for 400 bucks unless you come across some crazy used bargain.

Which model fender amp are you using now? There's a whole range of quality from complete [censored] (any of the new solid-state digital-fx crap) to [censored] incredible (twin reverb). The Blues Jr. is a pretty solid amp for a couple hundred bucks. It's 15W, which seems small, but it's an all tube amp, and gets a lot louder than you'd expect. Plus it's good for recording, in that you can really push the levels and dirty it up without also knocking down your walls.

Just whatever you do, don't go buy some Crate because the price seems great and it's got a bunch of crazy effects. You WILL regret it.

There are 3, and only 3, guitar amps everyone should ideally own and use:
- Fender Twin Reverb
- Vox AC30 or AC15TB

These are not cheap amps, but you can get stuff along those lines for less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Blues Jr., does the job for me, but i don't perform live. Makes for a great bedroom/basement amp.

dizong

OrangeCat
10-23-2005, 02:14 AM
90 w lacking in power? Must be a solid state amp or a very, very sick showman. Solid state amps suck as do hybrids like the valvestate.

If you like Fender look at the Fender Amp Guide (http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/) for tons of info about Fender amps.

A used blues jr and a good used pedal like a Fulltone Fulldrive can be had for about 400. Good for many styles including punk.

If you really want to get into guitar stuff The Gear Page (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/) is to guitar what 2+2 is to poker.

jokerthief
10-23-2005, 02:51 AM
Get an acoustic and learn to really play. Play only with your fingers and realize the full power of the guitar. This is the correct answer.

ackid
10-23-2005, 04:02 AM
Dude get a line-6/spyder combo amp. They make a 2 12" speaker combo for about 500$ I think its 150watts.

I just bought the 75watt for 300$ its the best amp they had in the store. The best thing about it is all the built-in effects you get with the amp. The distortion effects are great (There 3 main types of ditortion metal/blues/insane).
plus multi chorus,phaser, and delay effects. No other combo amp even came close to the sound on this bastard....