PDA

View Full Version : OVERCOMING DOWNSWINGS

rbear
10-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Fairly new to NLHE and 2+2, appreciate the posts here, as they have improved my game immensely and my understanding of the game. I usually do pretty well, but the past couple days I have had a 30 game downswing... I seriously haven't cashed a single one. I'm trying to keep my spirits up, and keep grinding, but every extra time my QQ loses to KA, it gets a little harder... When do you start to worry? What tips do you have for a noob going through down swing?

Pasterbator
10-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Downswings happen. Its part of poker. The thing that helps me: playing with a HUGE bankroll. 75+ buyins is a very comfortable bankroll. It makes the downswings bearable. Also, look over your recent HHs to make sure you're not bleeding chips anywhere else. Often times downswings lead to tilt...

Everyone has something different. Find something that works and stick with it.

splashpot
10-22-2005, 07:04 PM
It might be because you suck. Sorry that was mean. Lol. I'm just kidding, but seriously, I don't know how many SNGs you've played, but you really have to think about the possibility that you aren't a winning player. The only way to kind of find out is to post hands here, read about other hands on this board, etc. Variance does happen, but 30 OOTM steak is pretty rough.

rbear
10-22-2005, 07:10 PM
that's pretty funny... Overall I am 38% ITM, mainly sticking to the 11's and 22's. I don't think my game has changed at all, but anything is possible. 30 OOTM is huge to me, and this is the first time in about a year this has happened, ergo the question... Just wondering if this variance is odd, and if I should take a few days off to clear my head and review hand histories

Seth Money
10-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Dude, I feel your pain.

Lets just say I had a huge downswing the past few days and was cursing the poker gods, hahaha. But seroiusly I was holding it all in and I just continued to suffer. Finally I started to talk to some friends about there swings and well just stuff besides poker. Things turned a round after some time off and encouragemnt from friends.

I have over 3k logged and this was the worst of them all. It happens it makes you stronger for the long term.

I don't know your bankroll situation but I hope things work out for you and you grind urself through this cold stretch

Seth

10-22-2005, 08:13 PM
I too feel your pain, buddy. I think I'm coming out of a really bad two week stretch. I just tell myself everytime I suffer a bad beat that I got my money in the middle as a big favorite. Or...I did something wrong.

Upon review, if I think I played incorrectly, I study the situation, invite some others to review it, and try my best to learn from the mistake. If you're not learning, you won't get better.

It sounds like you have good perspective and that you're doing fine. Downswings can make you question your ability but you just have to fight through it and manage your bankroll as best you can.

Keep getting your chips in as a favorite and it will start to work out. Stay positive, man, and I hope your luck turns.

rbear
10-22-2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the replies and the encouragement guys. I do have a bankroll that can sustain this hit, and will continue to grind. After reviewing my hand histories, I have found a couple spots that could use improvement, but for the most part, I think this is freaky variance. Again, thanks a lot for the responses. Definitely appreciated.

10-22-2005, 08:47 PM
I play mostly SNG's on PS 15+1 singles and 11 and 22 two tables. I'm pretty confident I'm a winning player in SNG's because I know I'm up quite a bit since I started although my cash game results are in the red, according to Pokertracker. How do you guys keep track of your SNG's? Do you just use Pokertracker? I haven't really looked into tournament tracker, but I haven't seen auto import for tournaments. Is there a way to do that, and is that what most people here use? Or is there a separate tracking program for SNG's that stands out above all others?

rbear
10-22-2005, 08:49 PM
SNG Tracker was free last time I checked. It's great.

wiggs73
10-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Read this (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=&Number=1822484&page=1 &view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=) if you haven't already.

DyessMan89
10-22-2005, 09:07 PM
When you are in a downswing you should do the following 3 things ...

1. Bluff less often.
2. Value bet more often
3. Tight up preflop

splashpot
10-22-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you are in a downswing you should do the following 3 things ...

1. Bluff less often.
2. Value bet more often
3. Tight up preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't tell if you're joking. But if you're not, this is just stupid. You should play exactly the same as normal, assuming you are a profitable player.

lacky
10-22-2005, 09:33 PM
ok, i have to say this, it's my job around here. Take time off, at least 3 days with no poker. Then when you come back, review after every set and see if you think it went well or if you coulda played it better.

When your in a mass downturn, either your frustrated to the point your tilting, or your frustrated to the point that your having no fun. It doesn't really matter which cause taking time off fixes both.

When you get that time gap in there, your not really running bad anymore. Now you've taken a break and your starting over on a new run. Hell, I've gone to the point of starting a new database before. The old stuff doesn't really matter, because whatever was going on was before, and now your fresh, you studied up, it's the new you.

see how it works?

Steve