PDA

View Full Version : Doing Stuff Alone

protocol
10-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Wanted to get OOT's opinion on something that people seem to differ on. By 'alone' I mean going with the expectation that you are not meeting someone there, and there is a slim chance of even seeing someone you know there.

I have gone to several concerts alone, and didn't find it weird, however many of my friends said they would never do this. Also, I would never consider going to the movies alone, yet some of them do this often. I have ate alone in a sit-down restaurant a few times, and found it to be awkward, and haven't tried the others.

yellowjack
10-22-2005, 06:17 PM
There needs to be a "None" option in the checklist.

protocol
10-22-2005, 06:19 PM
You're right. Is there any way to change a poll after it has been posted?

TheMetetron
10-22-2005, 06:22 PM
I do all on a semi-regular basis and the weirdest is usually a nice restaurant. I won't go over $20/plate by myself anymore.

private joker
10-22-2005, 06:25 PM
I prefer to go to the movies alone.

Ulysses
10-22-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do all on a semi-regular basis and the weirdest is usually a nice restaurant. I won't go over $20/plate by myself anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eating at the bar at very nice restaurants is a good option.

-Skeme-
10-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Concert. A few times. Late on school nights, friends don't listen to same music, meh.

peachy
10-22-2005, 06:30 PM
why is there not a none option? i cant do any of these things alone....just isnt much fun then...noone to share/do it with

10-22-2005, 06:30 PM
I think people go the bar all the time by themselves, so that one isn't too weird

mslif
10-22-2005, 06:33 PM
I have gone to concerts, watched movies and ate at restaurants by myself. I do not see anything wrong with it and sometimes I found these activities to be more enjoyable that way. I actually really enjoy sitting outside at a restaurant on a sunny day and read a good book by myself.

protocol
10-22-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
friends don't listen to same music, meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that is the same reason for me. It's much harder to find someone for this than the others.

MEbenhoe
10-22-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you've seriously never gone to a restaurant alone?

peachy
10-22-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i havent...ever...ive never even sat at a coffee shop alone

10-22-2005, 06:41 PM
I thought this thread would be about masterbation

2+2 wannabe
10-22-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

for some reason this doesn't surprise me....

MrTrik
10-22-2005, 06:44 PM
I've had periods of intense travel for my job. Sometimes I'm travelling with someone or I make friends with the client I'm at. That gives me someone to do stuff with.

But many times I'm alone on the trip. Eating, hitting the bar for a game, or going to the movies alone is the only way to stay sane. Sitting alone in a hotel room ordering room service and watching movies is no way to live life.

Being alone sometimes leads to meeting interesting people. Some of the ones I've met have gone out for dinner or drinks the next time I came to their town.

This was especially true in Sydney and Toronto. They are now friends of mine and we keep in touch via email and/or phone. If they ever come here or I go there we'll meet up and have some fun.

peachy
10-22-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why is that? there is nothing wrong with never doing those things alone

IHateKeithSmart
10-22-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had periods of intense travel for my job. Sometimes I'm travelling with someone or I make friends with the client I'm at. That gives me someone to do stuff with.

But many times I'm alone on the trip. Eating, hitting the bar for a game, or going to the movies alone is the only way to stay sane. Sitting alone in a hotel room ordering room service and watching movies is no way to live life.

Being alone sometimes leads to meeting interesting people. Some of the ones I've met have gone out for dinner or drinks the next time I came to their town.

This was especially true in Sydney and Toronto. They are now friends of mine and we keep in touch via email and/or phone. If they ever come here or I go there we'll meet up and have some fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. Earlier in my career, I was on the road 200 nights a year. Sitting in hotel rooms blows.

10-22-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Peachy, I think you were being complimented. Lovely ladies (and a few of the others) never need do anything alone.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

yellowjack
10-22-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not unusual given I still live with my parents and don't go out to places (i.e. concerts, movies) by myself.

rwesty
10-22-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Peachy, I think you were being complimented. Lovely ladies (and a few of the others) never need do anything alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not read this as a compliment. If you've never ever done any of these things alone, you probably have self-confidence issues.

10-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Lighten up

JihadOnTheRiver
10-22-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why is there not a none option? i cant do any of these things alone....just isnt much fun then...noone to share/do it with

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems sad to me. I love doing things with other people, but there is a lot to be said for just doing something yourself.

rwesty
10-22-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm bad at flirting and do it over message boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

fsuplayer
10-22-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not read this as a compliment. If you've never ever done any of these things alone, you probably have self-confidence issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have found this to be true almost always.

TheMetetron
10-22-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm feeling inspired... taking myself out to dinner and a movie right now. I'll hang out with friends later tonight. Eff em.

WillMagic
10-22-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer to go to the movies alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will

smb394
10-22-2005, 08:10 PM
I go out to eat by myself a bit and bring something to read, or gasp, just think to myself while eating. Most of my friends who won't do this are those w/o imagination or as someone said, self-confidence.

Haven't ever been to a concert or movie alone though.

Blarg
10-22-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have gone to concerts, watched movies and ate at restaurants by myself. I do not see anything wrong with it and sometimes I found these activities to be more enjoyable that way. I actually really enjoy sitting outside at a restaurant on a sunny day and read a good book by myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love eating a weekend breakfast or brunch in a restaurant while reading the Sunday paper.

jnalpak
10-22-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the move

ZeeJustin
10-22-2005, 09:05 PM
I've been to one concert by myself, and didn't find it too awkward. I've been to tons of concerts, and I've gotten split up from "the group" often enough to not feel to awkward being by myself. I always like to be front and center, and prefer concerts w/ no seating, so I don't feel too lonely smushed in between 100's of people.

I've eaten by myself a bunch of times at airport restaurants. I don't know if that counts or not, but it's mildly akward. It would probably be worse at a real restaurant. I get food to go a lot, and that's never awkward.

I've only been to the movies once by myself, and that was when I was skipping school to avoid a test or a project that was due or something, but couldn't stay home cuz it was my mom's day off work. That felt really awkward at first, but once the movie starts, you don't even think about it anymore.

I can't imagine ever going to a sports game by myself. I think that would be the most awkward.

BWebb
10-22-2005, 09:08 PM
I've done all except concerts by myself. I didn't find any of them awkward.

IHateKeithSmart
10-22-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine ever going to a sports game by myself. I think that would be the most awkward.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not at all. I am a huge sports fan, and with all the traveling I do, I've gotten to see games all over the place, it's lots of fun. Especially when you can expense the $6 beers (about 10 of them).

tonypaladino
10-22-2005, 09:16 PM
I regulary go to resturants by myself for lunch and tarely, dinner. What could possibly be wierd or akward about eating? Maybe in a superfancy resturant, i would think it a little strange, but I'd still do it.

Also, a couple of semester ago, I had a 2 hour break in classes, I would just hit the bar on the corner and watch a baseball or soccer game.

I've never been to a movie by myself, but that's because I don't enjoy movies in theatres, and i only go for others.

I would probably feel akward at a baseball game by myself.

MasterShakes
10-22-2005, 09:26 PM
I would say the order from strangest to least strange is this:

1) Restaurant (though I think this only applies if you're at a table, and can be completely eliminated if you're at the bar)
2) Concert
3) Sporting Event
4) Movies
5) Bar

I don't think going to the movies or bar alone is strange at all, though I've never gone to the bar alone. Given that the strangeness at the restaurant can be easily mitigated, the concert is clearly the strangest.

Hamish McBagpipe
10-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Hey, lonely guy, your usual table for one is ready.

http://photos23.flickr.com/24502090_a2906569aa_m.jpg

Please ignore the time and date of this post.

wh1t3bread
10-22-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the move

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely.

I guess a lot of you have never traveled for work. Eating alone at a restaurant is perfectly normal while traveling. I've done this many times, but I always hit the bar to eat though. Getting a table by yourself is a little weird.

protocol
10-22-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the concert is clearly the strangest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't understand why so many people feel this way. For me, it is easily the least strange. As ZJ said, even if you go with people, it's easy to get separated. Plus, it's too loud to talk anyways.

Blarg
10-22-2005, 10:06 PM
I've never eaten at a bar before, just a counter at a diner and such. I didn't even know they served regular meals at the bars of good restaurants.

TeeJayORTj
10-22-2005, 10:08 PM
I have gone to a sports game and out to eat by myself. The only reason I went to a game alone was because it was opening day at Fenway this year and none of my other friends had enough to cash to pay for the ticket. ALso when I eat out alone it is usually breakfast or lunch. If Im getting dinner alone I usually prefer takeout.

If I were to go to a bar alone I would prefer to have a healthy buzz going so I am way more outgoing.

10-22-2005, 10:24 PM
I've gone to watch several movies by myself and although at first I felt awkward, while waiting for the movie to start and watching people come in groups, I didn't feel that awkward once the movie began. Walking out feels a little lonely but I don't mind it too much. I've done it once or twice in high school and once or twice post-18 years of age. I think the older I get, the less I think kicking it by myself is weird.

I've never been to a nice restaurant by myself, but if I should happen to go, I'll probably sit at the bar. I've gone to food courts and fast food places by myself and don't find it weird at all. I think going to a sports game by myself will feel too weird and wouldn't do it all. I'm down to go to a sushi bar by myself and would like to very much do so for the experience alone.

I think the most weirdest thing to do alone is to go to a park by yourself and cook up some BBQ, all picnic styled-out, looking like a total loner in front of dozens of people around you on a Sunday afternoon. If you could do that, props to you.

Anyhow, being alone is not all that bad. It's being lonely that gets to most people. I guess it's all about perception. Are you alone? Or are you lonely?

Exitonly
10-22-2005, 10:26 PM
i've done all of these things alone, don't see anyythign wrong with it.. i enjoy my own company. Not that i wouldn't rather someone else come with me, but it's no big deal going alone.

10-22-2005, 10:26 PM
I've gone to several golf tournaments alone, and I guess I've eaten at Taco Bell or McD's alone a couple times. I think being in a nice restaurant alone would be the most awkward by far.

TheMetetron
10-22-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
none of my other friends had enough to cash to pay for anything

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably half the reason I do so many things on my own. My friends are poor ass hell compared to me. There's no way any of them can keep up with the lifestyle I've grown accustomed to.

(Oh, add going on vacation alone, and not for a business trip. I bet I'm one of the few who've done that one).

jakethebake
10-22-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think being in a nice restaurant alone would be the most awkward by far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point. This would make me feel akward too. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

http://www.santoalt.com/movies/ss/videos_ron_burgundy_says_no.wmv.gif

fyodor
10-22-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm old enough that I have done all these things alone at least once. Interestingly the only one I find at all awkward is the movie choice. I think there is a perv perception attached to that one.

10-22-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm old enough that I have done all these things alone at least once. Interestingly the only one I find at all awkward is the movie choice. I think there is a perv perception attached to that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

perv perception? please explain. Maybe if you're going to watch Showgirls or some movie with the Olsen Twins, but how about a "male oriented" movie. Is that perv as well? Comedy? Sci-Fi? Horror/Thriller?

RacersEdge
10-23-2005, 12:07 AM
If you ever have travleled for business, then a lot of these things are fairly common, especially the restaurant. Then, once you do them a few times alone, it loses the stigma, and you might do them alone even when you are home sometimes.

It's really a self confidence thing. If you feel strange eating alone, you are pprobably concerned what others in the restaurant are thinking about you. You can reach a point where you don;t really care.

peachy
10-23-2005, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uumm its not self confidence "issues"....its the fact that i love being around people...if i go to a movie alone and leave it thats blah b/c u cant turn to someone ur with and go "well that sucked" or "wow that turned out better than i though". Its something, an experience, u shared with another person, like a trip - there is no point in me going on a trip alone b/c there is noone to remember the experiences with (u lose/forget things that happened), to me thats not fun. I would go if it was somewhere i wanted to go REALLY badly and would never have the chance to go again and noone could go with me of course id go....but i make friends fast thus i wouldnt be doing anything alone. Alone for me is blah, no fun, thus i wont do it. I cant eat alone b/c ur there for about 45 mins+ and i cant stand not talking to someone for that long and just SITTING there...its such a waste of time for me...it would drive me insane. If i want quite me time, i dont go out to eat alone or to the movies alone for it.

Im not sayin people who do are freaks, loners, weirdos, etc - im just saying its not me and i wont ever do it.

But if some of you have to go alone b/c u are antisocial or people dont like you or u dont have many friends, thus u have to give those of us a confidence issue who never go alone to make u feel better....then so be it.

I didnt assume negative things about those of you who do this...dont do this about those who dont do this

2+2 wannabe
10-23-2005, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we have a winner

peachy
10-23-2005, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the move

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely.

I guess a lot of you have never traveled for work. Eating alone at a restaurant is perfectly normal while traveling. I've done this many times, but I always hit the bar to eat though. Getting a table by yourself is a little weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

to me traveling alone for work is a bit different...although i have traveled for "work" and meet people where i was and ate most of my meals with them...but i also dont eat much (sometimes maybe once a day) so maybe this is less of an issue for me

but what BLARG said about sunday brunch with the sunday paper i could see...that wouldnt bother me....BUT i dont read much, just dont care for it...and sunday brunch a usual thing with friends or my family - so again im used to doing this with people.

Maybe some of u grew up as an only child, or in a small family, in a small community, in a small school, dont like people, are overly private, dont get along with people, etc. which makes u enjoy these things alone...dont come down on those of us who have nothing mentally wrong with us that like doing/sharing things with others. My best friend doesnt mind going to movies alone and hes pretty normal, everyones different

Vish
10-23-2005, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your country of birth is so perfect for this. I miss it.

jakethebake
10-23-2005, 08:52 AM
I've done all of these things alone and it never occurred to me to feel awkward. Why would you? This seems very weird to me. I may even go to a movie alone today. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vish
10-23-2005, 09:04 AM
I've eaten in nice restaurants alone hundreds of times, and as much as I'd like to think that makes me a self-confident person, I'd be kidding myself. I always have to bring a book, and I suspect the reason is that I think if I'm going to look like a loser, I might as well look like an intellectual. Part of it is that I need something to do, sure, but I don't think that's all of it.

That said, I do think doing these activities alone is healthy. I think the deepest joys in life are experienced alone.

rwesty
10-23-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uumm its not self confidence "issues"....its the fact that i love being around people...if i go to a movie alone and leave it thats blah b/c u cant turn to someone ur with and go "well that sucked" or "wow that turned out better than i though". Its something, an experience, u shared with another person, like a trip - there is no point in me going on a trip alone b/c there is noone to remember the experiences with (u lose/forget things that happened), to me thats not fun. I would go if it was somewhere i wanted to go REALLY badly and would never have the chance to go again and noone could go with me of course id go....but i make friends fast thus i wouldnt be doing anything alone. Alone for me is blah, no fun, thus i wont do it. I cant eat alone b/c ur there for about 45 mins+ and i cant stand not talking to someone for that long and just SITTING there...its such a waste of time for me...it would drive me insane. If i want quite me time, i dont go out to eat alone or to the movies alone for it.

Im not sayin people who do are freaks, loners, weirdos, etc - im just saying its not me and i wont ever do it.

But if some of you have to go alone b/c u are antisocial or people dont like you or u dont have many friends, thus u have to give those of us a confidence issue who never go alone to make u feel better....then so be it.

I didnt assume negative things about those of you who do this...dont do this about those who dont do this

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this essay solidifies my statement.

RacersEdge
10-23-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fact that you are female explains all of what you wrote.

smb394
10-23-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe some of u grew up as an only child, or in a small family, in a small community, in a small school, dont like people, are overly private, dont get along with people, etc. which makes u enjoy these things alone...dont come down on those of us who have nothing mentally wrong with us that like doing/sharing things with others. My best friend doesnt mind going to movies alone and hes pretty normal, everyones different

[/ QUOTE ]

No, No, No, No, No, No, No, etc.

I think you're reading the matter to be that people who do not mind doing stuff alone normally prefer to do stuff alone. If given the choice to have the company of people I enjoy doing stuff with, I surely take this option most of the time. Still, there's something to be said for being able to entertain yourself without interacting with others while eating, for example.

Blarg
10-23-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've eaten in nice restaurants alone hundreds of times, and as much as I'd like to think that makes me a self-confident person, I'd be kidding myself. I always have to bring a book, and I suspect the reason is that I think if I'm going to look like a loser, I might as well look like an intellectual. Part of it is that I need something to do, sure, but I don't think that's all of it.

That said, I do think doing these activities alone is healthy. I think the deepest joys in life are experienced alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you could NOT bring a book. Staring into space is just boring and pointless. If you want to set the stage for self-consciousness, that's the way to do it.

I've seen lots of people eat lunch alone and gradually look more and more depressed and self-pitying. It's pretty much their own fault. Nobody likes being bored stupid for an hour at a time.

One of the ways of dealing with that is stupid, too. Some people eating alone cram their food down their face so they can get rid of their awkwardness. Nasty way to eat.

Getting a book, newspaper, or magazine is a great way to make it a relaxing, enjoyable experience, and get something worthwhile into your mind at the same time. It's a shame reading is kryptonite to most Americans.

edtost
10-23-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting a book, newspaper, or magazine is a great way to make it a relaxing, enjoyable experience, and get something worthwhile into your mind at the same time. It's a shame reading is kryptonite to most Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

RacersEdge
10-23-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you could NOT bring a book. Staring into space is just boring and pointless. If you want to set the stage for self-consciousness, that's the way to do it.

I've seen lots of people eat lunch alone and gradually look more and more depressed and self-pitying. It's pretty much their own fault. Nobody likes being bored stupid for an hour at a time.

One of the ways of dealing with that is stupid, too. Some people eating alone cram their food down their face so they can get rid of their awkwardness. Nasty way to eat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are assuming if you don't have something in front of you that you are doing nothing. I do some of my best thinking eating. I can figure out how to write a computer algorithm while I'm eating a roast beef sandwich. When I get back to work, all I have to do is write it down.

mslif
10-23-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a shame. In europe, people spend entire afternonn sitting outside at cafes, enjoying a good book and relaxing. It is unfortunate that most americans do not enjoy this simple pleasure.

cnfuzzd
10-23-2005, 02:18 PM
im a card carrying member of the "people who hate people" party, so im usually alone.

peace

john nickle

Blarg
10-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Absolutely. If you're afraid to be alone, you might hate or fear yourelf. Many people can't stand being alone because they can't stand their own company. They're not comfortable in their own skin. Just like it's a sign of an uncomfortable couple if they feel they constantly have to talk or be "on" for each other -- do extra besides just being themselves -- it is also a sign of a person who could like himself a little better if he feels uncomfortable alone. And it doesn't have anything to do with how much you like company and how often. Knowing how to be alone and still feel comfortable with oneself is a sign of being at peace with oneself. Being at peace with oneself can't hurt when being with others, too.

Blarg
10-23-2005, 02:35 PM
I'm not assuming anything about you. I don't even know you. I'm just saying that for most people, doing nothing is boring, and can be highly conducive to being overly self-conscious.

Most people, most of the time, don't have something like a computer algorhythm to turn over in their brains while eating lunch on any particular day. If they were even particularly good at doing that while eating in the first place, or if they would even find that an enjoyable way to fill time in a break from work.