PDA

View Full Version : This Is Funny Even To A Staunch Republican

Jimbo
06-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Read on the Floor of the US House of Representatives:

Clown Car Tax Policy (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?r108:28:./temp/~r1085GEQkh::)

See, even the US House has Trolls! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jimbo
06-05-2003, 06:44 PM
I did not know the link had expired. Here is the content:

CLOWN CAR TAX POLICY -- (House of Representatives - June 03, 2003)

[Page: H4796] GPO's PDF
---
(Mr. McDERMOTT asked and was given permission to address the House for 1 minute and to revise and extend his remarks.)

Mr. McDERMOTT. Mr. Speaker, the Leave No Child Behind President recently signed into law the third largest tax cut in history. But the tax bill was really like one of those clown cars you see at the circus. Because of the budget gimmicks, the Republicans squeezed nearly a trillion dollars in tax cuts into something that only looked big enough to hold $350 billion.

The whole tax bill was a big masquerade and the Congress participated in the party. While pressing for these tax cuts, President Bush declared, My jobs and growth plan will reduce tax rates for everyone. Everyone, I emphasize, who pays income tax. That is wrong.

In fact, 8.1 million lower- and middle-class Americans who paid billions of dollars in income tax will receive no tax reduction whatsoever; 36 percent of American households, 50 million households, in the United States will receive no benefit whatsoever.

Now, if I wonder where the next clown will pop up, maybe it will be in the White House.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------