PDA

View Full Version : Building a Bar what should i get?

arod15
10-22-2005, 02:31 PM
I was contemplating building a Bar in my basement.
I was further contemplatiing buying a bottle of Louie XIII (althought its real pricey)as my centerpiece.
Has anyone had this? Is it worth the 1K plus?

Also feel free to post what liquors are a 100% necessity to have.

Thanks in advance

Blarg
10-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Amaretto. Very aromatic, almond-flavored liquer. Great straight up, and is sometimes mixed, too.

Midori Melon -- interesting flavor, goes great in lots of mixes. Definitely girls will like it even if you don't.

Bailey's Irish Cream -- chicks dig it, so that's reason enough.

Kalua -- for Black Russians and White Russians. Mixes well, even in cooking. Coffee flavor, which is always very popular no matter what it's in.

arod15
10-22-2005, 02:37 PM
http://www.beerliquors.com/buy/liquors/remymartin.htm

is the link to the Louie bottle...

arod15
10-22-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Amaretto. Very aromatic, almond-flavored liquer. Great straight up, and is sometimes mixed, too.

Midori Melon -- interesting flavor, goes great in lots of mixes. Definitely girls will like it even if you don't.

Kalua -- for Black Russians and White Russians. Mixes well, even in cooking. Coffee flavor, which is always very popular no matter what it's in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see the need for Midori but my GF might disagree.
I like the rest of the picks though....

Blarg
10-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Yeah, it's not a must, I shouldn't have put it in. It's just that I've never seen a girl who didn't like it a lot, and most guys stocking bars probably need a little more chick stuff in them. If you didn't include it, though, nobody would notice.

10-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Louie XIII is only worth it if a) you never plan to drink it
b) you wipe your ass with $100 bills

10-22-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! 50's work nicely!

wh1t3bread
10-22-2005, 02:58 PM
You should really think about using a clear resin mixture for the bar top (I think it's resin, anyway). Those are always cool and you can imbed things in the resin as it hardens like nude pictures of your ex-girlfriends and stuff.

JihadOnTheRiver
10-22-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and yes, but that's highly dependent on your level of appreciation for good wine/liquor. If you've never had any other super high end liquors, not just cognac's, but all types. If you can compare the Louie to some other drinks, you'll be able to enjoy exactly how good it is. If you do buy it, try to find a Asian specialty food store. Vietnamese buy high priced cognacs like you wouldn't believe, and they sell them a lot cheaper at those stores.

My recomendation is that if you're not a very serious cognac drinker would be to stay away from the Louie. 1400 is a lot for a bottle that you will likely get very little mileage out of. Thats 7 $200 of liquor. You're looking at a couple very good bottles of scotch and some damn fine cognacs.

But take my advice lightly, the center-piece of my bar is a $1K bottle of Tiger Penis Liquor. So...

Rhone
10-22-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was contemplating building a Bar in my basement.
I was further contemplatiing buying a bottle of Louie XIII (althought its real pricey)as my centerpiece.

Also feel free to post what liquors are a 100% necessity to have.

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite get this idea of having a "centerpiece" for your bar. Is the bottle of Grey Poupon the centerpiece of my refrigerator? Shouldn't you just be stocking your bar with what you're going to drink, or offer your guests to drink? Maybe the centerpiece is supposed to be something to talk about? I can think of a lot more interesting things to talk about than a 750 ml bottle of alcohol that you paid too much money for.

arod15
10-22-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Never plan to drink all of it. Just a shot.
Ill drink it over 50 years....

arod15
10-22-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and yes, but that's highly dependent on your level of appreciation for good wine/liquor. If you've never had any other super high end liquors, not just cognac's, but all types. If you can compare the Louie to some other drinks, you'll be able to enjoy exactly how good it is. If you do buy it, try to find a Asian specialty food store. Vietnamese buy high priced cognacs like you wouldn't believe, and they sell them a lot cheaper at those stores.

My recomendation is that if you're not a very serious cognac drinker would be to stay away from the Louie. 1400 is a lot for a bottle that you will likely get very little mileage out of. Thats 7 $200 of liquor. You're looking at a couple very good bottles of scotch and some damn fine cognacs.

But take my advice lightly, the center-piece of my bar is a $1K bottle of Tiger Penis Liquor. So...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

rohjoh
10-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Your 1K would be better spent on this:

http://www.vittitow.com/images/tdb-24-48g.gif

SheetWise
10-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Must Have List
---------------------
Gin - Boodles (Tanqueray for those who mix)
Cognac - Hennessy (Christian Bros. for those who mix or call it Brandy)
Vodka - Stolichnaya and Absolut (Smirnoff for mixers)
Whiskey - Jack, Dickell, Beam, Turkey, Bushmills, ...
Tequila - El Toro (Cuervo for mixers)

Blarg
10-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Tanqueray does make good gin and tonics.

JihadOnTheRiver
10-22-2005, 04:18 PM
No. 10 is good mixed or straight. I haven't had the reg. stuff in a while.

goofball
10-22-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you wipe your ass with 8 grand?

manpower
10-22-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you wipe your ass with 8 grand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eight won't do; I had chili last night.

Blarg
10-22-2005, 04:32 PM
I've never had anything but the regular, and always drink it with tonic, not straight. What's the difference between the 10 and the regular?

10-22-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tanqueray does make good gin and tonics.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10-22-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

...Yes, and yes, but that's highly dependent on your level of appreciation for good wine/liquor. If you've never had any other super high end liquors, not just cognac's, but all types. If you can compare the Louie to some other drinks, you'll be able to enjoy exactly how good it is. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Therein lies the rub. Every time I was ever able to "try the good stuff," I got spoiled. The rest always paled in comparison.

First Cuban ruined me for anything else. First taste of Dom made the rest taste like beer. First time flying first class. First Cadillac. And the list goes on. But at least I'll have the memories! "No, no they can't take that away from me." <-- line from an old song in case you missed it. or even give a crap.

So I say try the finest every damned chance you get. That chance may never come along again.

Ray Zee
10-22-2005, 07:34 PM
spend the money on improving your living room or kitchen. when people come over thats where they end up. bars in the basement went out in the 50's.
or make a good wine rack for display if the basement is cool.

Maulik
10-22-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
spend the money on improving your living room or kitchen. when people come over thats where they end up. bars in the basement went out in the 50's.

[/ QUOTE ]

build a bar when you own your first home, not live ...

I'll buy a bottle when you move into YOUR first home.

RayZee owned you.

Maulik
10-22-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Must Have List
---------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had four of the reccomendations and Tanqueray, Jack, Jim & Jose.

Given the OP's interest in being a "dean" and purchasing a $1k+ bottle, I doubt he's interested in less than the likes of Grey Goose.

edit: after having thought this out, I guess if you consider Kettel less than top shelf most of your reccomendations are okay, sans Absolut/Smirnoff.

chesspain
10-22-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your list. I guess you're just assuming that the OP doesn't shave yet?

Blarg
10-22-2005, 08:11 PM
From the usual OOT posting I see, I'm guessing half of OOT doesn't shave yet. Still, I refrained from mentioning rum and coke. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

But mostly, my list was based on stuff I've seen lots of women like. I figured he may not like any of it, but should get it anyway, just to be a good host to them.

I've noticed several threads in the last week or so in which guys were saying, Which booze should I get? or, Is this enough booze? And they seemed to overwhelming have hardcore dude booze only, like beer and Jack Daniels, etc. But you gotta keep the women happy too; they're the best part of the party anyway. So, anyone stocking a bar well needs to account for the tastes of the women, too. It honestly strikes me as kind of strange when I see people not making getting the girly drinks a priority.

A note about Bailey's -- it's amazing how much of this stuff I've seen women guzzle. I can take a glass or two at most -- too sweet and rich for me. But women love sweet, and most of the ones I've bumped into love coffee, so, you can never have too much Bailey's. Even though it does kind of suck. Well, at least a little.

ReDeYES88
10-22-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Must Have List
---------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Additions:
Vodka - Grey Goose and/or Chopin
Whiskey/Bourbon - Maker's Mark
Tequila - El Patron Anejo or Silver

10-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Vodka- Grey Goose/Belvedere (if you can find it, a buddy once got me a bottle of Russian vodka that looked like it said "Hobli" and it went down like water)
Whiskey- Crown Royal, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam Black label, Tullamore Dew, Wild Turkey, Maker's Mark (guess what I like to drink)
Tequila- Cuervo 1800, Tarantula
Gin- Tanqueray, Bombay
Rum- I hate rum so get whatever
Get a bottle of Glenfidditch or Glenlivet
Grand Marnier
Kahlua
Bailey's
Amaretto
Triple Sec
Jaegermeister
Goldschlager
Rumpleminz
Johnny Walker
Yukon Jack
Comedy absinthe option

TheBlueMonster
10-22-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vodka- Grey Goose/Belvedere

[/ QUOTE ]
go for something like Van Gogh or Jazz vodka. Cooler looking vodkas and still good quality.

Aces McGee
10-23-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You should really think about using a clear resin mixture for the bar top (I think it's resin, anyway).

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta be careful with this. One of my roommates in college built a table in this style on summer when he was back home in Arizona. A few weeks later, he and I and another couple roommates built a bar with the same top (using bottle caps and resin), but this time in Washington, D.C., in August. Sh*t never dried, presumably because of the humidity. We had to throw the thing away.

-McGee

arod15
10-23-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

makes sense too but i dont have all that......
I prob spend the 1K where it shoudl go strippers...

A_C_Slater
10-23-2005, 03:23 PM
How can a bottle of cognac be worth $1,400? Does it give you a full body orgasm when you drink it? Even if it did, I wouldn't pay more than $200.

NateDog
10-23-2005, 05:29 PM
I just finished stocking the bar in my new place.

Sky 90 - Vodka
Belvedere - Vodka
Don Julio - Tequila
Malibu - Coconut flavored rum
Jack Daniels - Whiskey
Southern Comfort - Whatever the hell this is
Bombay - Gin
Johnny Walker Black Label - Scotch

Maulik
10-23-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How can a bottle of cognac be worth $1,400? Does it give you a full body orgasm when you drink it? Even if it did, I wouldn't pay more than $200.

[/ QUOTE ]

how can some plates of steak go for $10 at diners and others go for $150?

etc.

10-24-2005, 02:04 AM
I have:

Jack Daniels
Captain Morgan
Bacardi 151
Bailey's Irish Cream
Smirnoff Vodka (prefer Absolut)
Crown Royal (I hate the stuff though)
Tanqueray gin
Jagermeister
Jose Cuervo 1800
Razzmattazz
Peach Schnapps
Triple Sec
Amaretto
Sour
Grenadine
Blue Caracao
Apple Pucker
Watermelon Pucker
Sloe gin
Southern Comfort
Dry Vermouth
Cranberry juice
OJ
Coke
Beer

Jiggler, shaker and blender and ice are a must.