PDA

View Full Version : Big Slick, Big Blind

ajmargarine
10-22-2005, 01:33 PM
No solid reads on villian. My impression is that he is subpar (kind of like me in this hand). 2nd limper in the hand was a big fish and was the primary reason I raised PF, although he ended up folding to my PFR. We're both deep stacked.

.50/$1 NLHE Full Table, 7-handed

Preflop: Hero is BB with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
2 folds, Villian calls $1, Big Fish calls $1, 2 folds, Hero raises to $5, Villian calls $4, Big Fish folds.

Flop: ($11) A /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>
Hero bets $8, Villian raises to $16, Hero calls.

Turn: ($42) 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>
Hero bets $20, Villian raises to $40, Hero calls.

River: ($120) T /images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>
Hero checks...

Comments on all streets welcome. Variations welcome. Beration and flaming optional.

Morrek
10-22-2005, 01:41 PM
I don't know how "standard" it is, but I almost always just complete/check on sb/bb with AK because I hate playing it OOP in a big pot. This hand is a pretty good example of this IMO.

Edit: As for the rest of the hand I have no idea. I don't like any options here really... check/call turn and/or block river?
or bet/fold turn

TrailofTears
10-22-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how "standard" it is, but I almost always just complete/check on sb/bb with AK because I hate playing it OOP in a big pot. This hand is a pretty good example of this IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yes and no. I also generally just check it, but here it isn't a bad idea to limit the number of players. Also, it makes it a bit easier to play postflop. As in, I think you can find a fold on the turn, since he is not slowing down, and you have shown four times now that you like your hand a lot. He likes his better. This might be more difficult to play if you haven't shown that you like your hand a lot.

-T

The_Bends
10-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Preflop I like. AKs is a monster hand and deserves a raise for value even OOP. The fact that there is a fish with money already in the pot simply sweetens the raise.

Flop, I'd lead for $11, to force the flush draw (although its probably not out there with the A and Q gone) and to ideally take the hand down here. The min raise is horrible to see, its either a tester or a monster, I like the call provided......

Turn
.....You lead the the turn, personally I'd go for $25 but meh. Now he knows you're serious about the hand. I can't give a player I've little read on credit for having the stones to MR twice with a poor hand. He loves whatever he holds and you fold in digust. Althought you're geting good odds even if you hit your K you've completed straights and possibly a flush. You've no idea if an A helps you or gives him a full house. Theres also a huge chance you'll have to face another bet on the river.

River.

Check is right. Call $40 or less.

Unpleasent hand all round but I think he has AQ/A9/99/

orange
10-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Are you calling a 2/3rd PSB on the river? Is this a c/f?

I usually play it the same you do. bet/call/lead a blank turn. Villan's mini-raising is very quirky. An alternate line you might have taken was check/call the turn and block the river. I don't know how effective it would have been though, given villan's mini-raising.

The_Bends
10-22-2005, 02:06 PM
The turn bet is effectively a blocking bet and it got promptly raised. I see nothing to suggest a river bet wouldn't be treated the same way.

10-22-2005, 02:17 PM
I dont like the turn bet for only half pot. I think a check raise on the turn is a stronger play than leading for only half.

If the c/r gets called i think you have to check fold the river.

If you get reraised on the c/r then fold.

stu-unger
10-22-2005, 02:28 PM
do u think u r ahead on the turn? i cant think of a likely hand that u r ahead of besides a flush draw. i think i either treat my turn bet as a blocker and fold, or c/c the turn and block the river.

nietzreznor
10-22-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually play it the same you do. bet/call/lead a blank turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this play as well, it is the line I will usually take. But I think if you do take this line, then you probably need to fold when he raises a blank turn, barring some read to the contrary.

ajmargarine
10-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. My thoughts: I don't mind checking from the BB with AK. Here though I decided to raise it envisioning villian folding and Big Fish calling with any two. Worked the opposite, but I didn't mind.

I'm betting $8-$11 on the flop there always. Mixing it up a bit, chose $8 HU. Minraise could be coming from a club draw or JT, so I call and lead the turn. Comments about the turn bet being a blocker seem like good advice. I should find a fold there, as it's obvious with the 2nd m/r he doesn't have a draw.

Curiously, he checked behind on the river (fearing AA from me I suppose) and showed QQ?!? and MHING.

Morrek
10-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Weird hand. Why can't people learn to make real raises /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Villain was limping w/ QQ looking to hit a set? And he played it like that? Interesting. Put a W/T note on that mofo.

beset7
10-22-2005, 04:09 PM
this looks like an easy turn fold to me.

elus2
10-22-2005, 04:32 PM
if you're gonna bother raising preflop, throw in a higher raise to discourage multiple callers. if both had called then pot would have been 15 dollars with you playing TPTK OOP versus them. that is not a fun situation. furthermore you will miss the flop enough of the time that you want to be able to take it down with a continuation bet. cb's aren't fun to make against 2 opponents. so, raise to 7. and increase the chances for a headsup pot.

if you're gonna lead the turn, fold to his minraise. it is tough for villain to make a mistake on the river but very easy for you to lose a lot of money.