PDA

View Full Version : Break out the horsewhips

slavic
06-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Last night I took a beating. 1/2 was playing too tight so I decided to play 2/4 to get some action in. Well I was the action. I had KK and AA busted in the first 20 hands and KQ just treated me wrong. I was steamed because the guy I'm loosing to is playing 75% of hands and catching miracles, he's up $150 in the same 20 hands. I decided it was time to call it a night.

Today I figured I get my mind right and make sure I could play smart. Well let's just say I've got the "yips".

2/4 propper table. I don't know a soul at this table.

2 in front of the button. I have AK /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

EP1, EP2 limp, I raise to buy the button kick the blinds, The blinds will have none of it SB, BB, EP1 and EP2 all call.

5 players (5BB) Flop: K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif j /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

SB check, BB check, EP1 bets, EP2 calls, I raise, SB calls, all other fold.

2 players (8 BB) Turn: J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

SB checks, I seeing ghost of second pair made good but knowing I just told Jacks to go home, well I check. Timidly.

River: 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Check, I bet, call (hmm well at least I got my BB back) /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Anyone have a home cure, for not seeing ghost cards of Crazy players?

BTW SB had the nut flush draw exactly as I had placed him after the flop.

Homer
06-05-2003, 03:16 PM
You know your turn check was irrational.

SB coldcalled the flop. He most likely has a weak King or a flush draw. If he has a Jack, then so be it, he must really suck.

-- Homer

Bob T.
06-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Just as you have to be able to fold 97off preflop despite your hunches, you have to be able to bet in this situation, unless you have more than a hunch that it might be wrong.

Ed Miller
06-05-2003, 04:44 PM
You raise preflop because you have a premium hand and it would be a mortal sin not to raise in that spot... justifying it with tactical considerations like "buying the button" and "kicking the blinds out" is not even remotely necessary.

You simply have to bet the turn here. You just can't fear that your lone opponent has a miracle hand every time. He called two cold on the flop... why would you put him on a Jack? If you get checkraised, you can fold to some opponents, and you have to call others down. But if you routinely check here, then you will be losing your money to any and all of your opponents.