PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Lippet drives a K-car. (thanks BigLick!)

Joe Tall
06-05-2003, 02:42 PM
What's with the titles of the posts today, is everyone smokin' that Rollaj stuff?

I played last night at Mohegan (I worked in the area and I was out at 4 and got there before 5. BTW the Wed. NL rebuy tournament SOLD OUT for the first time (or so they said) 90 seats (I didn't play in the tournament. Just stayed at the 3/6 and beat up some fish.
Ok, I saved this one (not the title, the hand.) As I stated earlier to Bob T., I feel I'm confident to fold now.

Same opponent as my last post.

All fold to me in EMP and open raise w/AA, my (only) solid, agressive opponent three bets.

All fold as the two dominant forces colide like Ratan and Godzilla as I cap it.

Opponent calls.

Flop: Kxx

I bet, opponent raises, I show him my AA and fold. He shows KK (I think out of respect). I exploded w/ joy inside. He says, 'everyone else here would have payed me off' as I thought (you know, 2 weeks ago I would have re-raised and 4 weeks ago I would have made it 5 bets - man oh man God bless 2+2)

Thank you so much everyone! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

JTG51
06-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Eh, are you sure he couldn't play AK that way also? I couldn't make that fold. I'm all for acting on confident reads, I couldn't be that confident though.

I know people say this all the time here, but I'm going to say it again. Showing him your hand was probably a big mistake. If he really is a solid player, he's going to take some shots at you now. After showing monster lay downs to good players, you'd better be prepared to make some marginal calls.

Homer
06-05-2003, 02:58 PM
Flop: Kxx

I bet, opponent raises, I show him my AA and fold.

Eek. Wouldn't he three-bet you preflop with AK as well? If so then there is a 2/3 chance you are ahead (6 ways to have AK and 3 ways to have KK). You should at a minimum call him down. In fact, I would probably either three-bet the flop or checkraise the turn. Probably three-bet the flop...

I don't like that you showed your Aces. He's going to take shots at you now.

You know, 2 weeks ago I would have re-raised and 4 weeks ago I would have made it 5 bets - man oh man God bless 2+2

I would have reraised 4 weeks ago. In fact, I still would. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-- Homer

Inthacup
06-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Amazing fold, great read, yadah yadah yah

The problem here is that your description(solid aggressive) means that he's going to play AK the same way. If you can discern when he has KK and when he has AK after playing this hand the exact same way, then I have 1 question for you: Why are you only playing 3 6?

Joe Tall
06-05-2003, 03:01 PM
are you sure he couldn't play AK that way also?

Yeah, I was sure. When I capped it he muttered something like 'ok then' relutantly as I represented AA. Plus, you know this 3/6, 90% of the hands are shown down. This opponent was the only other strong player - him and I were the ONLY ones at the table that would 3-bet and cap, and I mean ONLY (top sets calling not raising, players limping w/AKs, QQ, JJ (no, Rock was not there (doh, sorry bro)). It was really fun sitting next to him, the EP limpers began to FEAR us, knowing punishment may be coming. We 'sort of' leveraged the table.

you'd better be prepared to make some marginal calls.

Care to elaborate? I'm not sure what you are telling me but I'm training to move up a level so what you say is what I need hear.

Thanks!

Homer
06-05-2003, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I was sure. When I capped it he muttered something like 'ok then' relutantly as I represented AA.

If you picked up a tell, fine, but you better be sure about it. Also, can you elaborate on this statement? I don't understand how his comment, 'ok then', made you certain that he had KK and not AK.

Care to elaborate? I'm not sure what you are telling me but I'm training to move up a level so what you say is what I need hear.

I'm not JTG (wait a minute, let me check....yep, still Homer), but I'll elaborate a bit. If you are going to make and show monster laydowns like this, observant opponents are going to notice and begin to take shots at you.

For example, let's say you are up against this same opponent a few hands later. He open-raises in MP with KQ and you three-bet with AK. The flop comes rags. Normally he might check and fold to a bet, but now he will be more inclined to check-raise or bet out because he knows you are "an opponent that he has good control over" (as S&M would say).

-- Homer

JTG51
06-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Care to elaborate?

Sure. If you show a solid player that you will fold AA heads up on the flop for one raise, you are going to have to be really careful against him in the future. He'll start semi-bluffing a lot more, he'll start bluff raising when scare cards hit and you have a well defined hand, etc. If he does make those adjustments, you'll have to start calling sometimes when you would have folded to defend against it.

That's why Mason and Sklansky recommend making bad calls once in a while, it keeps your opponents from trying to run over you. Just remember, each hand isn't played in a vacuum. Even bad players will notice if you keep showing big laydowns.

Bob T.
06-05-2003, 03:22 PM
1) Nice read.

2) How would you have played AK suited in his position?

3) In that case, I would have slowed down, and paid him off.

4) Don't show your cards. In this case, you will encourage one of the others to take a shot at you. Which will cost you money, because it will make tough decisions for you.

For the most part, this is a game of incomplete information, the less information about yourself you give away, the better.

Most of the time when we give information away, it is because we are trading for something. In this case, I think that you were trading for the compliments of your opponents. Next time you stop at the gas station and fill up your K-car, try and pay for the tank with compliments, it really is a lot easier to pay with 3 or 4 big bets from the 3-6 game.

5) if he really wouldn't three bet without AA, or KK, and some players won't, then nice read.

Joe Tall
06-05-2003, 03:29 PM
My fold was opponent based as I replied to JTG. And no, I would fold this hand to JTG nor Homer even if I didn't post this fold. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

then I have 1 question for you: Why are you only playing 3 6?

I've been only playing Hold'em for 6 months.
I played 2 live sessions at 2/4
now 1 at 3/6 and this weekend I'll be playing 4/8.

I feel I should play a higher level, I read hands very well. I read PEOPLE very well, but I KNOW my limits and right now I KNOW I'm still in the learning phases.

Homer
06-05-2003, 03:51 PM
You can beat the 4/8 at Foxwoods easily, I have no doubt.

You can also beat the 5/10 with a kill. I don't think you'll crush the game yet (neither will I for that matter) but you'll still beat it.

-- Homer

RockLobster
06-06-2003, 08:59 AM
players limping w/AKs, QQ, JJ (no, Rock was not there (doh, sorry bro)).

Ouch /forums/images/icons/mad.gif. I hate you a lot /forums/images/icons/grin.gif. OK, seriously... I post 1 or 2 hands out of every 1000... ones that seem questionable, this doesn't mean that my entire game sucks! Wait a minute, I'm supposed to let everyone think I'm bad (shouldn't be too tough after my last few posts). Nevermind, you're right.

Take care!

Barry
06-06-2003, 09:37 AM
C'mon Homer, you're a better player than me, and I do pretty well at the 10/20 game.

PS - I probably would have 3-bet the flop. If he 4 bet, then I might consider laying it down.

PPS - Joe, have you decided if you're going to be at Foxwoods this weekend? Angel Fish and I will be down starting tonight around 8-9.