PDA

View Full Version : basic check on playing overpair and top pair

Wynton
10-22-2005, 10:34 AM
On a recent downswing, I'm questioning fundamentals again. Villain in these hands is neither particularly aggressive nor passive. Both times, I was pretty sure I was beat on the turn, but I still called down. Am I screwing these hands up?

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (4 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.20 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.20 BB

10-22-2005, 10:58 AM
both are perfectly fine imo. dont always fear the worst.

irishpint
10-22-2005, 11:06 AM
i think i go WA/WB on the first one- dont scare off KK and dont give AK more $. c/c, c/c, b/(c/f)

on hand 2 what about 3betting the turn? we have an overpair heads up.

RunDownHouse
10-22-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
on hand 2 what about 3betting the turn? we have an overpair heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]
My first thought was also to 3bet the turn.

Hand 1 is fine.

TheDelChop
10-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Hand 1:

I think calling the turn is fine, you might even consider raising one more time. The river really reallys sucks. I think when he leads into you on a 3-flush, 4-straight board with the A, I think you can fold for I can't find a hand that you are ahead of.

Hand 2:

Yes you scewed this one up horribly. Your playing against the BB in what looks to him like a steal situation. In my opinion the BB is checkraising any 10, and any J here on the turn. You must 3-bet, and I would even consider calling the cap and seeing if he leads the river or not.

If he leads the river who calls? Im not really sure what the right play is here. I think I would definetly raise a Q and call any 3 or 4 but the rest would confuse me.

aslowjoe
10-22-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Both times, I was pretty sure I was beat on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

I think maybe your downturn is effecting a little bit. I think your at least 50% chance of winning on both.

Hand1 I might raise the river depending on villan. The stop and go is confusing.

Hand2 3bet

jba
10-22-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think i go WA/WB on the first one- dont scare off KK and dont give AK more $. c/c, c/c, b/(c/f)

[/ QUOTE ]

i like it heads up but not with button in there on a draw heavy board, we get a lot of value from bets going in on this flop.

TheMetetron
10-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Anyone else 3-bet hand 1 PF? I know I would most of the time.

Also, I 3-bet the turn in hand 2.

Catt
10-22-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else 3-bet hand 1 PF? I know I would most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

geormiet
10-22-2005, 01:40 PM
No, never, unless sb was out of line.

AJ is in bad shape against a lot of sb raising hands because the sb raise after a limper shows more strength than other positons, plus you're foregoing your good relative position on the flop.

TheMetetron
10-22-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, never, unless sb was out of line.

AJ is in bad shape against a lot of sb raising hands because the sb raise after a limper shows more strength than other positons, plus you're foregoing your good relative position on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB is raising a button limp. This is hardly a great show of strength IMO. I think I fare quite well against his range and can get button to fold here a decent % of the time.