PDA

View Full Version : PokerStat and the Blinds

02-25-2002, 08:58 PM
So many people here have raved about PokerStat, I bought a copy.

I have about 4000 hands in my database, so its not a huge sample. The biggest revelation so far is how much I'm losing on the blinds.

Here are some stats:

Looking at all hands (including blinds) -

Up 164 BBs

Winning 56% of showdowns

Seeing 26% of the flops.

If I filter out the blinds

Up 321 BBs

Winning 59% of showdowns

Seeing 18% of the flops.

Looking at only the blinds -

Down 158 BBs

Winning 49% of showdowns

Seeing 52% of the flops.

What is this telling me about how I play from the blinds? Is this normal or is this a huge leak? Am I not defending blinds often enough?

I don't have a good understanding of how to account for the "discount" the blind gives when selecting which hands to call or reraise with.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

02-26-2002, 06:28 PM
I think your statement about the "discount" gives a clue to your answer. If you call a raise with a hand you would not call a raise with elsewhere the perceived "discount" is causing a leak in your game. You need to play tight in the blinds in raised pots. You have terrible position and will very often be dominated by some limpers and/or the raiser. Who cares if its 1/2 price when you are in there with inferior cards and must act first. That disadvantage easily counterbalances any savings on your pre-flop call.

See the small stakes forum and medium stakes forum for blind discussions this week. I posted a hand today where this "discount" got me in a tough spot and I pissed away 4.5BB.

KJS

02-26-2002, 08:01 PM
Thanks KJS,

I had thought that maybe my problem was just the opposite. I have been trying not to call any raise from the blinds (or even completing the small blind) that I wouldn't call from the button. Hearing people hear talk about a "discount" made me wonder if I wasn't playing the blinds too tight.