PDA

View Full Version : any good preflop articles for a newbie to MTTs?

Noodles
10-22-2005, 08:49 AM
hi ive just started plating Mtts more freqently and seem to be doing ok,i find it better than limit poker as i seem to be able to steal blinds more and bluffon flops more,or maybei just get lucky /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

but as for pf starting hands, ones like KTs,QJs,QTS should these be dumped in ep,if you just limp(which i dont try to do much of) you may get raised later and have to fold,
sometimes i raise with them trying to steal blinds but is thsat too ambitious from the ep,i mean if you are called you are mostly up against a better hand,

any sort of starting chart thingy like they have for fixed limit games?

also i think when i steal i may be betting too much,if im called only eay i can win is by getting lucky,
i suppose it is dependant on your stack size and the player stacks ahead of you?

Exitonly
10-22-2005, 08:52 AM
not sure if it's covered completely, but the Athology sticky is great, and is a must-read

betgo
10-22-2005, 10:49 AM
There's no chart like Sklanky's for limit holdem. It depends on the table and your style.

In general, I would not raise from early position with suited broadway cards, unless you have a good chance of stealing the blinds. A raise with these hands makes you unpredictable, but you may be better off rasing with a lower suited connector/gapper that is less easily dominated. You could limp with them, but I would usually fold in early position. These hands are not that strong in no limit.

Suited broadway cards are good to open raise from late position. If someone has alreday limped, you can limp. If there is a raise and a call, you can call if the money is fairly deep.

You can sometimes reraise on a resteal with these hands from the button or blinds versus a loose mid to late position raiser or a raiser and a call.

In general, from early position, you should raise with 99-AA and AQ-AK. You can also throw in raises with lower pairs, suited broadway cards, as you mentioned, and suited connectors/gappers, depending on the situation, the table, and your style.

From mid position, if no one has raised, you can raise with any hand that is playable in limit holdem. From late position and the blinds, you can raise with any above average hand.

As in limit, if there are already limpers in the pot, you can raise from the CO or button with any hand that is playable in limit. From bthe blinds, you will be out of position, so you generally need a strong hand, such as an early position raising hand, to raise limpers. If the money is shallow enough that you can raise allin form the blinds, you can do so with almost any playable hand, unless you suspect someone is trapping.

Noodles
10-23-2005, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thx good stuff there,i have been raising ajo from ep i guess that is not a great hand to do this with as it can be dominated so easily?

[/ QUOTE ]

betgo
10-23-2005, 08:20 PM
You can raise, limp, or fold with AJo from early position, depending on the situation and your style. Pretty much the same holds true for similar hands like KQo, ATs, small to medium pairs, and suited connectors. However, for the most people, the default is not to raise.

TomHimself
10-23-2005, 08:54 PM
heres a hand chart tpe of deal
phil gordon (http://lgb.philgordonpoker.com/index.php?q=node/15)