PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Supremecy

kbfc
10-22-2005, 05:58 AM
I'll say at the outset here, that I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this......

This was inspired by the Phil Ivey story on barrygreenstein.com (http://www.barrygreenstein.com) as well as some posts on here a week or go or so.

Within almost every group of friends in the high-school/college-age males demographic (or those who, like me, fit that demo in the not-so-distant past), there is a sort of hierarchy of video game skill. This almost inevitably results in escalating boasts that flow over outside the group's boundary. "I'm the best SF2 player ever!" "I'm unbeatable at Mario Kart." etc...

Oftentimes, if the conversation turns to videogames with new social acquaintances, heated arguments will erupt. It has been my experience that there is a pretty wide range of results when challenges actually take place. Some of the time, one of the contestants will soundly trounce the other, thus proving that "best player in group A" is more likely than "best player in group B" to translate into "best player ever," although not generally saying how likely that is on an absolute scale. Other times, it will be a close struggle, and might cause an observer to wonder, "hrm...perhaps this stalemate is actually due to 2 players at the top of the game butting heads." Either way, I'm always amused when stuff like this happens, whether or not I'm a participant.

Videogames, more than most anything, cause people to lose perspective. Just because you say you're the [censored] at Tony Hawk, and you can beat up all your friends, that don't mean [censored] on its own. Do some research.

In college, a friend and I played TonyHawk2 on dreamcast nonstop for probably 2 years. We only played headsup for points, 2 minutes, hangar level. We got good. Real good. Good to the point where I was convinced we were playing the game close to its theoretical limit. A year or so ago (probably 3 years removed from my THPS2 glory days), conversation with the drummer in my old band got around to that very subject, and the standard boasts->challenge sequence followed. I think I ended up winning a series of matches by an average score of like 3-4 million (about half of what I was able to average when I used to play a lot) to 500 thousand. Obviously some worlds exist on different levels.

The moral of this story, though, is not my amazing awesomeness. It is that, at the peak of my THPS2 playing days, I went online to check what sorta stuff was considered good. I'd say I matched up pretty well with most, but then I came across a site with videos of a guy putting up like 50 million point tricks, doing [censored] I didn't even realize was possible. That was some perspective for my ass.

With online gaming, it becomes much more apparent how good you really are. Back in the day, I played quakeworld team deathmatch at basically the highest levels. My clan (god, I'm shivering in embarassment even writing that word. and no, I'm not going to disclose names publicly) was something like the KC Royals of QW. I knew I was good, better than probably 99% of the Quake players then, but I also knew how much better the real top players were. Starcraft was similar, except I was nowhere near as close to the top of SC, maybe Double-A level. Either way, there was a lot more realistic perspective in these games than in the console arena.

So that all said, give me a week to practice, and I'll take anyone at the following:

- Soul Calibur (random character selection)
- Mario Kart64 (battle mode on the blocks level, or race mode on Wario Stadium, with or without shortcuts)
- Marble Madness (you must allow me to smoke out beforehand, though. you can join in if you want.)

As quick postscript: there are a few things that one could say, specific to the game in question, in a boasting match that automatically give away the fact that he's not at the same level. For example (this happened recently), if anyone tells me they're a MarioKart expert and then claims anything other than "koopa was the best in super mario kart, toad in mario kart64," they're immediately disqualified in my book. no challenge necessary.

Yeti
10-22-2005, 06:55 AM
I liked this post.

To brilliantly illustrate your point, when reading your QW paragraph I instantly thought 'wtf, i bet i'm better than this guy'.

kbfc
10-22-2005, 07:19 AM
If you were actually better at QW than me back in the day, I can almost guarantee you that I'd remember you by screename/clan. [censored], i have gigs and gigs of recorded matches still sitting on a hard drive somewhere.

Anyway, I was trying to write the post as much as I could in the style of the boasting I was writing about. I'm glad it had that effect on you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeti
10-22-2005, 07:29 AM
You won't know me, firstly because I hit the scene pretty late, and secondly because I live in England.

Such fun memories. Really an amazing game, it seems sad to admit it but it was probably the most fun time of my life.

kbfc
10-22-2005, 07:49 AM
I don't know what you mean by late, but I played seriously all the way until Q3 came out. When Q3 came out, it put a dagger in the whole QW scene, which was a shame, cuz Q3 was almost as shitty as Q2. QW, in my mind, is without a doubt the best computer game ever. Starcraft was remotely close in 2nd, but nothing else was even remotely close.

I loved playing quake like no other game, but given the chance to go back and give it all up, I would in an instant. That [censored] game (and then SC, once it died down) ruined my social life for a couple of years, including meaningful relationships and my musical ambitions. It's far enough in the past now that I can talk about it, deal with the embarassment, and not get bogged down in it all. For a few years, though, that was not the case; it was basically just an unmentionable period of my life.

Yeti
10-22-2005, 08:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
QW, in my mind, is without a doubt the best computer game ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course.

I think I played seriously from around 98/99 to the summer 02.

I know it could never happen, but I like to daydream about a QW boom, and an interface like the poker clients, where you could play duels on DM4 for $100+9.

That would be the easiest money ever.

JackWilson
10-22-2005, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
QW, in my mind, is without a doubt the best computer game ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course.

I think I played seriously from around 98/99 to the summer 02.

I know it could never happen, but I like to daydream about a QW boom, and an interface like the poker clients, where you could play duels on DM4 for $100+9.

That would be the easiest money ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been reading this thread and having been heavily involved in gaming in the past, I was getting a little bit nostalgic, remembering some good times etc, but it wasn't until you mentioned DM4 that my knees became weak, my pulse quickened and I started slobbering all over myself. God...that game was GOOOD. Flashbacks of LakermaN and Thresh videos replaying themselves in my head now...

Blarg
10-22-2005, 09:28 AM
I used to be one of the top online Total Annihilation players, and a good number of times beat the guy, Hawk, who won the nationwide contest for best player, and he was certainly far above even most pretty damn good players. However, frequently beat him didn't mean he didn't kick my butt most of the time. It was definitely frustrating to be playing a great game and get soundly beaten anyway. Some of the games I beat him in are still fond memories today, quite a few years on.

But I remember when I first got online with the game. I was being wiped out within minutes in a RTS that sometimes lasted hours.

That's why RTS's especially are all about the online play. Human players are so much better than computer AI that it's extremely difficult for even a really good offline player to beat a middling online player. Plus, fighting a human is much more interesting and devious than playing a computer AI, and has an inherent heightened feeling of fun competitiveness that fighting a computer AI can't give you.

There are definitely many levels in playing games, and it's very easy to think you're doing well, and then suddenly realize how surprrisingly far from the top you are. It can be bewildering, frustrating, and finally, inspiring. After all, who wants to be wiped out by every Tom, Dick, and Harry? You want to at least be able to hold your own with the middle of the pack. And the skill level of the middle of the pack rapidly drifts upward, too. So you dust yourself off and try to charge up that hill again. Trying to become or remain truly competitive can be great fun.

Phoenix1010
10-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Great post. Males like to prove their skills against each other, and we need to satisfy our egos. Videogames provide a nice venue for immature guys like myself to show how awesome we are. Unfortunately, most people aren't nearly as good as they think they are. I remember when I actually thought I was good at Halo. I played a home p*ker game with a member of the local Halo "community" and he beat me 25-1 during a smoke break. I used to play SF2 30+ hours a week with a group of about 8 friends and thought I was the tits at that too. None of us even knew that Guile was the best character (although cheesing was strictly looked down upon there). Until you play a game online or in a tournament agains the best competition, you have no idea how good people actually get at these games.

Games I'm actually pretty good at:

Tekken 3. I placed highly in a few local tournaments. I'm far from the best, but I'll put my Heihachi up against anyone (Lei and Eddie as backups). Good King/Jin players dominate that game though.

NBA Jam T.E. I won my store during the Blockbuster tourney years back, but didn't go to the main event. I think Sponger did too and actually went to the national tourney.

Perfect Dark. The amount of time I played this game... I just refuse to accept that I'm not at least decent.

whiskeytown
10-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Um, this is really sad, but I used to kick ass at my Atari 2600 games.

I can think of at least three cartridges I wrapped the scores around on back to 0 or whatever - beating the tough ones like Raiders of the lost Ark when no one else could...

Then there was Track and Field, an arcade game where you'd alternate between two buttons to move the runner forward - but I found a way to rub between the edge guard of the button that kept you from just slapping it, and so I got some great fast vibration out of it.

I wrapped around the score on a Galaga machine in college, which I was really impressed with. But after that I kept playing for a while longer before losing my last guy.

But to be honest, until recently, I hadn't played the newer gen. consoles - I'm working on Forza Motorsports, though.

RB

BadBoyBenny
10-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Yeah I used to think I would be one of the best in the world at Woods 2005 on playstation. I was somewhere around 150-0 against my friends and could shoot in the 40's on relatively tough courses.

Then I go online, join a tourney play a decent round, shoot something like 46 at Sherwood and the leader has 38. I'm around 50th place.

I think EA Sports (Madden, Woods, Fight Night, NBA Live, etc.) is another one of those areas where so many people play religiously that you have no idea where on the global scale the best player you know is.

Blarg
10-22-2005, 12:11 PM
The truth is, there are people who pretty much devote their whole lives to video games. So unless you're some sort of inborn genius at a game, there's almost no chance to be near the top of a game that a lot of people play. Not unless you're willing to give up as much of your life as they do.

toss
10-22-2005, 12:22 PM
I consider myself pretty damn good at tetris.

daryn
10-22-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. are we talking NES version? i have cracked 200 lines. that raises the question, do you play for lines or points? i think my high score is around 450,000.

gamblore99
10-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Me and my brothers used to say we had a video game gene, as we killed all are friends at everything. That as a long time ago, and now the few times that I play any new games I get killed.

I am by far the best goldeneye player. In woodshop class we made a trophy /images/graemlins/frown.gif. We played that game for like 3 years straight. In the end we memorized the order of the starting points for evey level. Pistols, license to kill, 20 points. Get killed once and that is pretty much game.

Yeti
10-22-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We played that game for like 3 years straight. In the end we memorized the order of the starting points for evey level.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took you three years to think to do this?

pokerdirty
10-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Halo 2 anyone? I'll pwn all you n00bs.

chuddo
10-22-2005, 01:43 PM
i will whip any of you chuds at tekken 2 or 3.

Autocratic
10-22-2005, 01:51 PM
I always suck at console games, but PC shooters are my forte. I was one of the top players in Call of Duty online. I'd go hours without being killed more than once or twice on occasion, in games where up to 100 deaths were average.

I've only ever really excelled at that game, Day of Defeat, and CounterStrike, which I am no longer good at due to insane fanboys.

Sponger15SB
10-22-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- Mario Kart64 (battle mode on the blocks level, or race mode on Wario Stadium, with or without shortcuts)

[/ QUOTE ]

http://speeddemosarchive.com/MarioKart64.html

Sponger15SB
10-22-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The truth is, there are people who pretty much devote their whole lives to video games. So unless you're some sort of inborn genius at a game, there's almost no chance to be near the top of a game that a lot of people play. Not unless you're willing to give up as much of your life as they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I try telling people this when the "what are you the best at out of 2+2ers" or "what are you world class at" threads and nobody believes me.

Sponger15SB
10-22-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NBA Jam T.E. I won my store during the Blockbuster tourney years back, but didn't go to the main event. I think Sponger did too and actually went to the national tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Richmond for 3 from the corner...... GOOOOOOOODDDDD

Blarg
10-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Yeah, they don't want to admit it.

bobbyi
10-22-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll take anyone at the following:

- Soul Calibur (random character selection)

[/ QUOTE ]
This is too vague. If we stipulate that this is specifically the Dreamcast version of SC and that it is an eight-on-eight team battle of random characters, I will destroy you.

gamblore99
10-22-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We played that game for like 3 years straight. In the end we memorized the order of the starting points for evey level.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took you three years to think to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a little more than 2, and we were in gr 7.

WackityWhiz
10-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Rushing attack in madden 05 or 06 on xbox, any takers?

i didn't think so /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sponger15SB
10-22-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rushing attack in madden 05 or 06 on xbox, any takers?

i didn't think so /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

paging nick b., paging nick b.

please come to OOT and put this woman in her place with a bunch of pointless internet [censored] talking.

Blarg
10-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Didn't OOT get going a counterstrike team or something at one point?

It could be fun to get something like that going again, not that FPS's are my game. But still.

Yeti
10-22-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't OOT get going a counterstrike team or something at one point?

It could be fun to get something like that going again, not that FPS's are my game. But still.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg, you played AoK much? Would be up for a knockabout in that sometime.

Blarg
10-22-2005, 02:39 PM
That's the name of AOE 2, right? If so, I haven't played it in years, and wouldn't even know how, by this point. I'm not current on any games, really, including the ones that aren't current!

I did just preorder Earth 2160 though. Looks pretty cool, another RTS, but with highly customizable units, and the third in what's supposedly a quality series. Insane looking graphics. That one comes out the first week of November, and I'll play it with OOT'ers if any of them get into it too. Gamespot.com has some really good previews of it.

CieloAzor
10-22-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Perfect Dark. The amount of time I played this game... I just refuse to accept that I'm not at least decent."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"I am by far the best goldeneye player."

[/ QUOTE ]

That second quote is just silly. Perspective for you guys - The Elite (http://www.the-elite.net)

I would've posted the Mario Kart 64 Elite too but somebody already covered that. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had my best showings in Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2/FP, with a smattering of world records. I was never one of the best but I once held an untied record on WAR SA at 47 seconds. It lasted maybe a year.

Autocratic
10-22-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's the name of AOE 2, right? If so, I haven't played it in years, and wouldn't even know how, by this point. I'm not current on any games, really, including the ones that aren't current!

I did just preorder Earth 2160 though. Looks pretty cool, another RTS, but with highly customizable units, and the third in what's supposedly a quality series. Insane looking graphics. That one comes out the first week of November, and I'll play it with OOT'ers if any of them get into it too. Gamespot.com has some really good previews of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If an online game were to be picked as "the" game to play by OOT, I'd have to say Battlefield 2 would be the best choice.

Blarg
10-22-2005, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't know, but I'm sure it would be a FPS. They've got the highest macho factor, and most of these guys are the age where they're at the height of their finger-twitching power.

Quake 4 just came out.

toss
10-22-2005, 03:27 PM
I haven't played the NES version, but I probably get the emulator now. The ones I've played the most are The New Tetris for N64 and the ones on TI-83, 85, 89. I play for points.

BadBoyBenny
10-22-2005, 03:30 PM
What was your top score on New Tetris?

kurosh
10-22-2005, 03:33 PM
I used to be the best fking pirate swordfighter.

hmohnphd
10-22-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For example (this happened recently), if anyone tells me they're a MarioKart expert and then claims anything other than "koopa was the best in super mario kart, toad in mario kart64," they're immediately disqualified in my book. no challenge necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...is this a joke? Bowser and DK Jr. are clearly the best in Super Mario Kart. I refer you to Super Mario Kart Time Trial World Records (http://www.geocities.com/smkplayerssite/)

Honestly, man, really nothing Koopa or Toad could do can make up for the top speed of Bowser and DKJ.

BeatOnRiver
10-22-2005, 04:08 PM
ill play anyone for any money in tony hawk 4

toss
10-22-2005, 04:14 PM
I've gotten 810-ish in Sprint Before. 33 Seconds for Ultra.

Brainwalter
10-22-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm better.

This is one of my only real bragging points. I've gotten 292 lines and over 700k points. (NES version I'm talking about.)

If you didn't know, from 200 to 290 lines the speed doesn't increase anymore, but at 290 it becomes deathtrap-impossible fast. Other than squeezing in the last few lines from a good setup/fortunate piece combination, there's no way anyone could continue making lines after 290.

send_the_msg
10-22-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lemme toke up and you're on.... oh yeah i need to fix my xbox. but you're on....

Blarg
10-22-2005, 04:30 PM
The testosterone in the room is getting very high! If a woman walked in, she'd be torn to pieces!

C'mon, you animals, let's see a match!

krimson
10-22-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This almost inevitably results in escalating boasts that flow over outside the group's boundary. "I'm the best SF2 player ever!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, this exact thing happened to me once. We were at my friends place playing SF2 Turbo, and he invited some people from "Group B", some guys he went to high school with. One guy came in and saw us playing and proclaimed to be the best in Winnipeg (where I live) and possibly the best in Canada.

I took his challenge. He didn't win a single match. We started with Ryu vs Ryu and branched off into MBison vs Chun Li fights and whatnot. To finish the challenge off I let him pick my character and he could use whoever he wants. Balrog vs Ryu and I won.

Don't get me wrong, not saying I'm even that great of an SF2 player. I've been schooled by many. I think it's a great example of your point though.

astroglide
10-22-2005, 05:06 PM
great post

as discussed a year or so ago around here, ping pong has to be the leading on "i think i am fantastic at this game, but i'm really not"

waffle
10-22-2005, 05:12 PM
If anyone thinks they've been whooped badly playing streetfighter, they haven't played an expert at guilty gear xx #reload... yeeech.

BadBoyBenny
10-22-2005, 05:18 PM
A friend of mine broke 3000 in sprint. Same guy who dominated every non-sports game we played. I probably couldn't have beaten you when I played though.

Blarg
10-22-2005, 05:18 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27978

astroglide
10-22-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27978

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, that's a keeper

Crimson
10-22-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lemme toke up and you're on.... oh yeah i need to fix my xbox. but you're on....

[/ QUOTE ]

How's this for perspective?

I'd absolutly pwn you guys.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/PlayerStats.aspx?player=AbdulN21

No cheating, and I dont play much anymore.

flatline
10-22-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm better.

This is one of my only real bragging points. I've gotten 292 lines and over 700k points. (NES version I'm talking about.)

If you didn't know, from 200 to 290 lines the speed doesn't increase anymore, but at 290 it becomes deathtrap-impossible fast. Other than squeezing in the last few lines from a good setup/fortunate piece combination, there's no way anyone could continue making lines after 290.

[/ QUOTE ]

But are you as good as this guy (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/tetrismaster.html)?

toss
10-22-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine broke 3000 in sprint. Same guy who dominated every non-sports game we played. I probably couldn't have beaten you when I played though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty good considering its impossible to score above 1200 or so. Even if you got all lines only. I'm talking about the New Tetris for N64, New Tetris (http://www.gamespot.com/n64/puzzle/newtetris/)

The current record for Sprint is 868.

Hamish McBagpipe
10-22-2005, 06:34 PM
I ruled at this game, Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle even though it was my sister's game. Also, I will bet any amount up to and including five dollars that I can take anyone at any given Intellivision game. The 2600 was not my forte.

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/9013/smurfrescueingargamelscastle4q.gif

Eurotrash
10-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Smash Brothers Melee, bring it /images/graemlins/blush.gif

edit: might as well throw in Mario Kart (Gamecube version)

kbfc
10-22-2005, 06:55 PM
cool link. i'd say those videos are about representative of how i played wario stadium. main difference, though, is that i almost never played straight time trial, it was always against friends. i also enjoyed the mario raceway shortcut video. i had a friend who spent an afternoon on time trial mode trying to perfect that and finally was able to put together a perfect 3 laps with shortcut, basically the same as the video on there. that shortcut was a lot more difficult than most of the others in the game.

kbfc
10-22-2005, 07:02 PM
my super mario kart days are admittedly WAY in the past, so i wouldn't bet on it or anything, but i seem to remember koopa's acceleration and handling being excellent to the point that you could outpace bowser and dkj due to the speed increases from slide-turns. also, i almost never played time trials (boring), and there's something to be said for a little extra handling/acceleration in race mode.

as far as MK64, though, toaddddddddd......we used to have physical fights to determine who got toad.

BadBoyBenny
10-22-2005, 07:04 PM
My bad, I have confused marathon with sprint. I don't know if we ever played sprint. I think we played ultra and marathon.

kbfc
10-22-2005, 07:08 PM
I have to say, I'm greatly amused by all the responses. I wrote a post basically mocking the absurdity in this sort of behavior, and got 50 replies along the lines of, "I'll play anyone at XXX for money!" I couldn't have asked for better!

toss
10-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Diddy Kong Racing >>> Mario Kart?

Phoenix1010
10-22-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I liked DKR. The Chicken guy pretty much ruined the game though.

toss
10-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Why? Because he's annoying? When I first unlocked him I thought he would be a good but he turned out to have butter for wheels. The Clock was the only Broken character for the game.

kbfc
10-22-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the sake of humanity, I would hope so....

toss
10-22-2005, 07:58 PM
DKR = more skill involved, more fun, just overall better package. THERE I said it.

kbfc
10-22-2005, 08:00 PM
For your sake, it's a good thing these messageboards have such a high level of anonymity....

gumpzilla
10-22-2005, 08:05 PM
No, I tend to agree with you. I always felt that the Mario Kart games tended to make it too easy to equalize, whereas you could really dominate in Diddy Kong. And I agree that the clock was the only truly kickass character; at least you had to do some serious work to get him.

Blarg
10-22-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For your sake, it's a good thing these messageboards have such a high level of anonymity....

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I love this. An ass-kicking without even playing anything!

Brom
10-22-2005, 09:19 PM
I've never met a person I couldn't trounce at Super Smash Brothers for the N64. Don't think I'm all that great though.

Is SBM similar enough that the skillset could carry over? All I remember is that it always came down to Ness and Kirby battles for the other players kills, and to see who could go out over the ledge further and make it back when they were up against eachother. Do they still have the "stomp" move in SBM? I've actually met people who thought they were good and didn't even know about the move. That move made the game.

Eurotrash
10-22-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never met a person I couldn't trounce at Super Smash Brothers for the N64. Don't think I'm all that great though.

Is SBM similar enough that the skillset could carry over? All I remember is that it always came down to Ness and Kirby battles for the other players kills, and to see who could go out over the ledge further and make it back when they were up against eachother. Do they still have the "stomp" move in SBM? I've actually met people who thought they were good and didn't even know about the move. That move made the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

the skillset carries over somewhat, but making the transition is difficult at first. SSB:melee moves a lot more quickly, I suppose you could say, then the N64 SSB does. the stomp move and the throw have both been downtweaked, as they were kind of unfair in the N64

both are great games, though

Blarg
10-22-2005, 09:22 PM
I wonder how many of you fighting games guys got the new Warriors game and what you think of it.

Phoenix1010
10-22-2005, 09:30 PM
The N64 Smash Bros was a great game, but SSBM is infinitely better. Much faster, much deeper, much more balanced. It's actually one of the greatest fighting games of all time underneath all the kiddy coating. The skillset does carry over somewhat, but it takes a lot of getting used to. My little brother would trounce you at either game. I know this because he trounces me whenever he convinces me to play against him, and I used to be very solid.

Brom
10-22-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My little brother would trounce you at either game. I know this because he trounces me whenever he convinces me to play against him, and I used to be very solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, do you know how many little kids I've beaten in the mall at various electronics stores? I've made some cry, actually cry.

Blarg
10-22-2005, 09:37 PM
LOL, what kind of vicious trash talk are you unleashing on the poor little kiddies? Someone crying over a video game sounds pretty out there.

Jeff W
10-22-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Phoenix1010
10-22-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My little brother would trounce you at either game. I know this because he trounces me whenever he convinces me to play against him, and I used to be very solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, do you know how many little kids I've beaten in the mall at various electronics stores? I've made some cry, actually cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol that sounds like fun. There's actually nothing I enjoy more than making little kids cry. Still, my little bro has played a bunch of tournaments and apparently does pretty well against the best competition he can find. He hasn't played the N64 game in a few years obviously so you might actually be able to take him in that. He was sickeningly good at it back in the day too though, it was very frustrating.

Eurotrash
10-22-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a good thing you're replying to Brom, because your brother is no match for my Jigglypuff. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

KneeCo
10-22-2005, 10:05 PM
me > you @:

1 - Crazy Taxi 1 (Dreamcast)
2 - The snowboarding mini game in Final Fantasy VII (PSX)

Phoenix1010
10-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Online SSB needs to become a reality soon.

Jigglypuff is so cheap...

Phoenix1010
10-22-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
me > you @:

1 - Crazy Taxi 1 (Dreamcast)
2 - The snowboarding mini game in Final Fantasy VII (PSX)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're out of your mind. High scores?

Eurotrash
10-22-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no way, Jiggly requires incredible skillz

SomethingClever
10-22-2005, 10:30 PM
pizownored is the best doom player i've ever seen.

but he won't play me anymore in any football game, period.

10-22-2005, 10:36 PM
uhhh, I will wtf_pwn any of you in any Gran Turismo installment. You gotta a best time, mines faster /images/graemlins/cool.gif

And I'd also like to challenge that dude about the Soul Calibur thing. I'll take you on in the PS2 platform.

Ship it batches.

toss
10-22-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Online SSB needs to become a reality soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Online SSB has been a reality for 2-3 years. Involves Emulators and Kaillera Client. Haven't tried it though.

Jiggly Puff requires a lotta skill. Everytime I jump in the air everyone always runs away.

N64 SSB is more fun for than GC SSBM.

Dex
10-22-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my super mario kart days are admittedly WAY in the past, so i wouldn't bet on it or anything, but i seem to remember koopa's acceleration and handling being excellent to the point that you could outpace bowser and dkj due to the speed increases from slide-turns. also, i almost never played time trials (boring), and there's something to be said for a little extra handling/acceleration in race mode.

as far as MK64, though, toaddddddddd......we used to have physical fights to determine who got toad.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, no MKDD? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sponger15SB
10-22-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a kid cry after trouncing him by like a hundred in NFL blitz. I used to cut people up so hard in that game who had no clue, but whenever I play someone good we always either tie or end it in triple OT with some field goal to win it 10-7

ClaytonN
10-22-2005, 11:17 PM
I was #8 in the world at TopSpin. Not saying much because it was based on XBL rankings, but I was easily one of the best ten players in the world in that game at the time. And then, I found online poker. Halo2 on the side for fun, but I'm not 'supreme' by any means.

JKratzer
10-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Super Mario Bros 3 - Entire game beat in 11 minutes.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/smb3beat-r.html

Pretty cool to watch.

Jack of Arcades
10-23-2005, 12:36 AM
The only thing I'm really good at is chocobo racing on FFX. I wrote the guide on that. Literally.

Oh, I'm decent at Tetris Attack.

Sponger15SB
10-23-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Pretty cool to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a fake. Search around 2+2 or the internet.

swede123
10-23-2005, 01:09 AM
I was extremely good at Tetris for the Gameboy. Like, I'd bet any sum of money that I'd beat pretty much anyone. Hell, I'll even give someone 3:1 odds. Outside of Tetris I used to be quite good at certain pinball machines. Good as in I could play certain games indefinitely really. I once played the original Star Trek pinball machine for about six hours straight, on a single quarter. In recent years I've definitely slacked off though, there isn't a single modern game which I would feel comfortable competing against even an average player.

Swede

Blarg
10-23-2005, 01:13 AM
Sounds like me. I wouldn't even remember the commands for the games I was best at; it's just been too long.

Six hours on a pinball table is pretty impressive. I used to love pinball, but never really got good at it. Although I did like those Sierra PC pinball games.

d10
10-23-2005, 03:36 AM
These games are weak. I am the best original Doom player ever, and it's not even close. I have like over a million frags just by teleport alone.

Blarg
10-23-2005, 03:39 AM
Don't let Pizownord!!! here that, or you might have a challenge on your hands.

orange
10-23-2005, 04:37 AM
Anyone (besides Blarg) play AOE 2: The Conquerors here? I know, old game, but I used to rock at deathmatch. I'm starting to play a bit more now, so if anyone wants to play some, PM me.

SackUp
10-23-2005, 06:59 AM
the advent of online games really makes sh1t talking worthwhile.

to this day i will claim goldeneye dominance as i had tied many of the marks set at http://www.the-elite.net/

However, for guaranteed domination I will go with battlefield. My clan [sauce] was #2 on the game and I was ranked as high as # 8. special[sauce]. I think I was the highest ranked non hack player on the net. It was an amazing game for sure. I get flags like no ones business!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biggle10
10-23-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Pretty cool to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a fake. Search around 2+2 or the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy watching these. As far as I know, none of the creators claim that these videos are anything than what they are. NES Superplays (http://bisqwit.iki.fi/nesvideos/)

mason55
10-23-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The moral of this story, though, is not my amazing awesomeness. It is that, at the peak of my THPS2 playing days, I went online to check what sorta stuff was considered good. I'd say I matched up pretty well with most, but then I came across a site with videos of a guy putting up like 50 million point tricks, doing [censored] I didn't even realize was possible. That was some perspective for my ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.thps3online.com

Search for my screen name (same as here) for a list of my verfied (ie watched by someone who runs the site) combo scores. I tried to challenge some people for money on 2p2 but no one ever came throuugh, so I guess I'll actually post my scores (was trying not to so I could get some action).

rlpsjstyle
10-24-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how many of you fighting games guys got the new Warriors game and what you think of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty decent, but can be short. I finished in three separate sessions, about 15 hours total. I'll go back and do all of the bonus stuff, unlock everyone and all, but the story mode itself is pretty short.

The AI can be good, though, and there are times where you can be surrounded and overwhelmed, at any difficulty level. Boss fights are very pattern-oriented, similar to old Double Dragon/Streets of Rage games.

If you have friends to play with, it's worth the purchase in order to play co-op and the various Rumble modes.

Oh, and speaking of old-school fighting games, when you complete The Warriors, you unlock a two-dimensional game called "Armies of the Night" that is a throwback to Double Dragon, more than any other game. It even has the famous Double Dragon intro, with the girlfriend being punched in the stomach and dragged off... all with a Warriors twist.

Warriors enthusiasts should make the purchase. Old-school fighter enthusiasts should as well. Others should rent before they buy.

[/long post]

awval999
10-24-2005, 11:27 AM
If you can allow a field goal in NFL Blitz then your not good enough.

Are you talking about Blitz 2000 or the original? N64?

Vavavoom
10-24-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For example (this happened recently), if anyone tells me they're a MarioKart expert and then claims anything other than "koopa was the best in super mario kart, toad in mario kart64," they're immediately disqualified in my book. no challenge necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...is this a joke? Bowser and DK Jr. are clearly the best in Super Mario Kart. I refer you to Super Mario Kart Time Trial World Records (http://www.geocities.com/smkplayerssite/)

Honestly, man, really nothing Koopa or Toad could do can make up for the top speed of Bowser and DKJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think I was the greatest at SMK....

These times are just freakish....

As for online battles....Games like Command & Conquer etc....They could be set-up and 2+2 battles could commence....Good MultiPlayer games would be interesting...

However, Its apparent that there are several posters that are of a National standard to the very least...hence the games would be highly un-interesting...

I used to be decent within my circles but by no means that good @ :

Goldeneye
ISS Pro Evo
Super Mario Kart

SomethingClever
10-24-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
These games are weak. I am the best original Doom player ever, and it's not even close. I have like over a million frags just by teleport alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

paging pizownored..... paging pizownored....

elwoodblues
10-24-2005, 12:41 PM
Lines - I got into the 260's once. It gets to the point where any distraction in the room (at all) causes you to lose.

kem
10-24-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mario Kart64 (battle mode on the blocks level

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only way to play Mario Kart, and I will accept your challenge. This consumed a good year or two of my life in college, and I've only met one player who had a (slight) edge over me in it..

Sponger15SB
10-24-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you can allow a field goal in NFL Blitz then your not good enough.

Are you talking about Blitz 2000 or the original? N64?

[/ QUOTE ]

N64

Of course I'm talking about like a sneak field goal on 2nd down from like 50 yards snapping it as fast as possible which is blocked like 1/2 the time anyways.