PDA

View Full Version : Boxing fans: i want to learn... point me in the right direction?

bholdr
10-22-2005, 01:56 AM
I read a good colum in the ESPN mag about how a die hard boxing fan had become disillusioned with the sport... it's crooked, disorginized, sometimes deadly, dangerous to the athletes and generally a corrupt and immoral sport, BUT, he also admitted that he wouldn't stop watching. ever.

I feel the same way. ever since i saw foreman KO Michael Moorer in '95, i've been a fan, and i won't stop watching either... i really apreciate that boxing is HARD... i learned how to box as a kid, and if you've never tried it, lemme tell you, it's WAY more challenging, physically, mentally, and emotionally, than literally anything else i've ever done. I give mad respect to guys that can go 12 rounds. and, now that i'm dabbling in some sports betting, i need more than a layman's knowlage- i'd like to become a break even handicapper eventually... possible?

So:

Any experts here? any boxers/ex-boxers?

What/how much does a person need to know to be a competent observer (meaning, enough to not make an ass of themselves when talking to people that really know their stuff)?

who should i pay attention to in the next few months/years?

are there any serious heavyweights out there yet? i have been seriously unimpressed with the division since Lewis retired. which division is the most competitive/intresting right now? i'm leaning toward the middleweights...

who are the most informed and insightful commentators? I like Max Kellerman, but i need more perspectives.

how about some links to good websites? also, if you have any book/dvd/etc reccomendations, i'd appreciate those, too.

That's a lot of questions, i know, but people here seem to be pretty informed, so if you wouldn't mind... hook me up? tyia!

Aceshigh7
10-22-2005, 02:16 AM
Can't answer many of your questions. Just wanted to point out that the Nigel Benn/Gerald Mclellan fight from the mid-90's is the most amazing bout I have ever witnessed. It had absolutely everything. Find a copy somewhere if you are able, you won't be disappointed.

[censored]
10-22-2005, 02:36 AM
As much as I can't stand him lately PartygirlUK is the boxing king around these parts i'm sure he will chim in at some point.

I think the place to start is with HBO boxing. They usually have 1-2 cards a month featuring up and comers or veterans trying to reclaim old glory. I think Jim Lampley is the best commentator but who really knows.

ESPN Friday night fights is also good to watch as you may catch the occassional rising star and their studio show covers all the latest boxing news.

Once you'vce down that you'll be able to decide for yourself which PPV's are worth getting.

Sameul Peter was suppossed to be the savior of the heavyweight division but lost his last bought by decision.

Two guys I would want to watch are Winky Wright and Floyd Mayweather.

partygirluk
10-22-2005, 07:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't answer many of your questions. Just wanted to point out that the Nigel Benn/Gerald Mclellan fight from the mid-90's is the most amazing bout I have ever witnessed. It had absolutely everything. Find a copy somewhere if you are able, you won't be disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was one of the very first fights I ever saw. After watching that I was in love with the sport. Great, great fight. If people want me to point them in the direction of that fight, please PM me.

jakethebake
10-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Kellerman is ok. Lampley & Merchant are idiots. Foreman is interesting because he says things that are completely moronic interspersed will things that are very observant, but it may be difficult to figure out which is which. When they have him on HBO occasionally, Mannie Steward is brilliant, but he's not on often enough. Do you subscribe to Ring Magazine? If not, you probably should. I used to be a huge fan, and was a reasonably good amateur boxer. I made the All-Marine Team and was one fight away from the Olympic trials when this guy (http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=005693) beat me. Unfortunately, I haven't kept up with boxing much in recent years other than watching a few fights on HBO.

Aceshigh7
10-22-2005, 06:17 PM
My favorite analyst was the "Fight Doctor", Ferdie Pacheco. Don't know if he still broadcasts the fights.