PDA

View Full Version : My First Sexy (LC)

bnorthro
10-22-2005, 01:42 AM
This is probably my first good, successful Sexy. This is in the midst of a long downhill run that coincides with my move to 2/4 Stars. Villian is about 22/8/0.8 after about 20 hands. Sorry not much to say, just kinda felt good.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (8.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

blackize
10-22-2005, 01:44 AM
WHY WHY WHY are you going for a checkraise against this guy who has an aggression of .8?

bnorthro
10-22-2005, 01:47 AM
d'oh

10-22-2005, 01:53 AM
I think you might get raised from two pair on this river (A8, etc) so I would prefer a bet/three bet.

&lt;EDIT&gt;: In other words, I only think he bets here if he has an Ace because he likely feels that you are checking b/c you are worried he has an Ace and don't want to get three bet. Therefore, if he does have an Ace here, I think it is likely that he will raise your bet anway, allowing you to threebet. Whereas, a checkraise will only get in two bets most of the time.

Lozing

blackize
10-22-2005, 01:55 AM
Good point lozing. Of the hands that he is raising on the flop, most of them have improved on the river. I don't think you can count on him to bet out, and I think most of the hands he is betting on the river he would raise on the river as well.

bnorthro
10-22-2005, 02:07 AM
Good comments, thanks. I was thinking that my 3 bet might have put him into call-down mode, even if he improved to 2 pair somewhere. So I gave him a chance to bet the river, probably a mistake though.

10-22-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good comments, thanks. I was thinking that my 3 bet might have put him into call-down mode, even if he improved to 2 pair somewhere. So I gave him a chance to bet the river, probably a mistake though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many players know that blind steals get very aggressive and I would believe the majority of players would raise if this Ace helped them at all.

Lozing

nubs
10-22-2005, 02:10 AM
Why are you threebetting preflop and on the flop?

10-22-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also ignored this. From the SB, I fold this everytime to a button raise.

bnorthro
10-22-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Preflop I wanted BB out of the hand against what looked like a blind steal - so probably a not very strong hand. On the flop I had an OESD and 2 overs (which may or may not have been good).

You guys aren't defending your blinds with a hand like J10? Is this too loose/Agg?

nubs
10-22-2005, 02:25 AM
Its not the fact that you are defending here, its the fact that you are threebetting with a hand that probably isnt much, if at all any better than the stealers hand. He has a low pfr%, what is his steal percentage? Even if it is high which stealing hands are you doing well against with J high?

10-22-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop I wanted BB out of the hand against what looked like a blind steal - so probably a not very strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
90% of a 22/8's "stealing" hands beat jack high.

Easy fold from the SB. Call from the BB.

10-22-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Preflop I wanted BB out of the hand against what looked like a blind steal - so probably a not very strong hand. On the flop I had an OESD and 2 overs (which may or may not have been good).

You guys aren't defending your blinds with a hand like J10? Is this too loose/Agg?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it depends on the player's % for steal attempts. Roughly, your fold SB to steal should be around 85%-88% or so I believe.

Some general guidelines I've used:

Pairs (depends on player, but generally most)
KJs+
KQ+
Axs (depends on the player for how low of a kicker I play)
A8+ (again, depends)

I guarantee I missed a lot but this is my general small blind defense standards. Whether to raise or call depends on the BB. I don't go as low as TJ offsuit

bnorthro
10-22-2005, 02:35 AM
I'm glad this is generating some discussion. My FSB to Steal is about 88 for 2/4 right now.

I think it's time to dig through some of the blind defense threads. Thanks guys.

10-22-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad this is generating some discussion. My FSB to Steal is about 88 for 2/4 right now.

I think it's time to dig through some of the blind defense threads. Thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually surprised you fold 88%, I would have thought it would have been lower if you played JTo here. Maybe you should check pokertracker and post the hands you have defended with. IMO, I would rather defend with a hand like A8o than JTo. At least the A8 has showdown value with A high and is better than a large percentage of a stealer's Ace hands.

Lozing

mex78753
10-22-2005, 10:36 PM
i dont dislike the flop 3 bet at all like others here, however, the sb re-raise with j10 against a seemingly tight player seems like spewing with a losing hand.

On the river I do think you have to bet/3 bet instead of trying to go for the checkraise. If he has aces up he's going to raise you but if he's got a hand like K9 or K8 he's deffinately going to check behind but call a bet.