PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: The table coaches at the 55s are really getting under my skin

Karak567
10-22-2005, 01:34 AM
It's almost getting to the point of where I have to turn chat off. It's just very... irritating hearing these guys talk like they are the gods of poker, yet when what they are saying is so wrong.

The constant berating causes me to snap back, which causes them to spite call.

Anyone else have the chat box as -EV to them?

cha59
10-22-2005, 01:36 AM
shut off the chat if it effects your play at all

brimstone1
10-22-2005, 01:42 AM
I know its a lot of free entertainment, but it really is best to just turn it off and concentrate on your play (I know you already know this).

Just let them say whatever they want to say, let them give all the advice in the world.

suited_ace
10-22-2005, 02:00 AM
I had chat off for a long while. I'm ok with it now, but if I start seeing that it's affecting my play, I don't think twice before turning it off again.

I think you should try the vow of silence for a while. You won't lose much, that's for sure.

microbet
10-22-2005, 02:16 AM
Doesn't often bother me, but it did get under my skin tonight. I'll turn chat off. gg and ty where applicable to all of you in advance.

bennies
10-22-2005, 05:44 AM
It's distracting so I turned it off.

Sciolist
10-22-2005, 06:43 AM
I generally explain that they're moronic for table coaching if they're right as they're helping the people who would be paying them, and they're moronic if they're wrong because they show themselves up and tell the real good players where their flaws are.

I like arguing. I figure I've had more practice at it than them, so it works out +ev to do so...

rybones
10-22-2005, 07:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
they're moronic if they're wrong because they show themselves up and tell the real good players where their flaws are.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true, and the reason you should not turn the chat off! Do you see why?

Just my thoughts,

Ryan

codewarrior
10-22-2005, 07:41 AM
If you're only playing a couple of tables, chat is a wonderful PsyOp opportunity. You can (sometimes) turn a dead table into a chatty, fun loving one. People having fun = loose play. Try it.

Also, you get the added benefit of people seeing you be chatty, and not realizing you haven't played a hand in two orbits.

'Sup Bones?

stupidsucker
10-22-2005, 01:43 PM
I find when I chat back I play worse, and sometimes I let me pride cloud my judgement.

I do like keeping chat on because often gives me reads on people I am not paying attention to.

benfranklin
10-22-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find when I chat back I play worse, and sometimes I let me pride cloud my judgement.

I do like keeping chat on because often gives me reads on people I am not paying attention to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

I never chat, and I always keep it on for additional info about how players are reacting to the game. Why would anyone ignore an additional source of information?

mmbt0ne
10-22-2005, 04:36 PM
If you're snapping at other players, you need to take a step back and calm down. In my life I've only gone off at one person, and that was about 23.5 hours into my ADHOC session where I dropped about 200BB over the last half. I felt like a total ass.

As for chatting in the games, I do it sometimes, sometimes not. I'm much more likely to do it when I've been drinking a little.

SCfuji
10-22-2005, 05:13 PM
chat is overrated. by the time somebody starts coaching you can usually tell if they have leaks in their game. for example, if they miniraise AA from ep and get rocked by some suited trash hand you know they suck balls. i hate chat, plus i play enough tables near my max comfort zone so i dont have time for talking. sometimes i just turn off the dealer too because i like having the blank white space.

The Yugoslavian
10-22-2005, 06:08 PM
All of you just need to turn chat off and pretend it doesn't exist. If you can't help yourself to read it and *ever* be affected by it then TURN IT OFF.

I'm completely serious. It's a leak (altho a minor one likely).

Also feel free to turn of AIM and the TV. Definitely turn on the vapo and the tunes.

Concentrate on the damn game you're playing....or just make side bets, it may be less -EV, /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Yugoslav

Angelic_Ace
10-22-2005, 08:05 PM
I like having chat on, it can sometimes show you who is on tilt, what type of player someone is - a peek at their psychology which I find useful. If youre 8+ tabling, your screen pops up and youve got an all in bet in front of you, and youre holding QQ, it might sway my decision a bit if I notice the guy has been going crazy in the chat box about a recent 'suckout'. Basically the chat box can provide some extra data, which is better than nothing to me.

rbear
10-22-2005, 08:39 PM
found after a bad beat, telling someone how much they suck (not telling them how they should have played it and acting like I'm on tilt), gets other players to call me when i get a monster... any thoughts?

jwvdcw
10-22-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
found after a bad beat, telling someone how much they suck (not telling them how they should have played it and acting like I'm on tilt), gets other players to call me when i get a monster... any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I just got a bad beat and have been dealt a monster hand on the very next hand, I will often times quickly type in some berating of the other player and then make a huge(often all in) bet.