PDA

View Full Version : Personal finance and investment books to convert the unambitious

Redmen62
10-22-2005, 01:06 AM
Inspired by the "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" thread- a book I will be purchasing and will consider for my purpose: I'm looking for one book that I can give to my girlfriend to get her interested in and thinking of building wealth. We have been living together for almost two years, and I intend to marry her, but I worry that we have different views about the financial future. She is 23, graduated last year with a Sociology degree and after a brief and unsuccessful job search related to her degree she is contentedly working as a supervisor at a nice restaurant attached to a bookstore. She has long said that her dream is to own a coffee shop/restaurant, and has a ton of experience and skill in the area, but hasn't shown any immediate ambition to make it happen.

I'm 24, working to complete a slightly more employable sociology/economics degree and starting to feel way behind in terms of building net worth. The difference between us is one of ambition and information, she comes from good working-folk stock and is happy just to be paying her bills and student loans.

Is there a single book out there that I can give to her to read that will illustrate to her the value of building wealth early? RDPD seems to have a lot of what I'm looking for, and I'll give it a look upon arrival, but I'd really like to find the best book for the job.

Sniper
10-22-2005, 01:18 AM
The Automatic Millionaire by David Bach
(he also wrote... Smart women finish rich, but I haven't read it)

GeorgeF
10-22-2005, 03:19 PM
At 23 future earned income is more important than investment income. Figure out how to earn money, investing will not help you unless you have bucks to start with.

As to the coffee shop try www.score.org. (http://www.score.org.) She might also start looking at locations just to see what the real estate market is like in your area. She might also make more working for the man.

thebroker
10-30-2005, 06:58 AM
Agreeing with Sniper on David Bach, however maybe get her "Smart Couples Finish Rich". The two of you can read it together and discussion may be easier since it is geared towards couples. If I had to pick one book and one book only it would be "The Only Investment Guide You Will Ever Need" by Andrew Tobias. He updates almost yearly. As far as feeling behind at 24. You are probably well ahead of your peers. I am 27 and most of the people I know around my age are no more conscious of their net worth or lack of, than an earthworm. Keep making your financial decisions with your bottom line in mind and you will be fine.

Recliner
11-01-2005, 03:17 PM
The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko

I liked most of this book. It basically outlines how the rich got rich and who they are. It hammers in the importance of the effects of investing over a long period of and making good decisions now that will allow you to be rewarded in the future.