PDA

View Full Version : AA, 3 callers, JJ2 flop

betgo
10-22-2005, 12:37 AM
$150 Pearl tournament on Paradise

I know people will say I should have raised more preflop. I probably should have. I was playing extremely tight and was afraid to scare people with a big early position raise. Atleast I think that was what I was thinking. The play was pretty loose at this stage, and probably people didn't notice I was playing tight or care that it was an early position raise. I didn't totally mind getting 3 callers, as there was a big pot, and someone might hit something, hopefully something I was ahead of.

Does the bet on the river mean villain has a J?

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1470)
MP1 (t1250)
MP2 (t860)
MP3 (t2785)
CO (t1730)
Button (t750)
SB (t1580)
BB (t2555)
UTG (t1870)
UTG+1 (t1620)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of t15.
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, MP1 calls t100, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls t85, BB calls t70, UTG folds.

Flop: (t430) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, MP1 folds, SB folds, BB calls t200.

Turn: (t830) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t830) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t500</font>, Hero ??

benneh
10-22-2005, 12:39 AM
your weak bet on the flop and check on the turn might give villain has the impression that he can take this pot from you. I call and hope to be shown 2 spades or 2nd pair or air. If I see jacks, i'm happy that he plahyed them so poorly.

Exitonly
10-22-2005, 12:39 AM
PF raise is fine, and i think he has other PP or a 9 often enough.

betgo
10-22-2005, 01:10 AM
I called. Villain had QdJd.

I was wondering if I should recognize the river bet as a slow playing pattern. However, I guess he could play a flush draw the same way.

Lost most of my stack on this hand, which probably made me wonder if I messed it up.

betgo
10-22-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I see jacks, i'm happy that he plahyed them so poorly.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I didn't misplay this, did villain misplay this?

I don't know if he could have gotten more out of me than he did. I was not happy to see paired face cards flop 4-way.

He probably needed to bet the turn, as I might have a flush draw. Maybe he thought I might have AK/AQ/KQ, and might make a pair.

Should he have lead out on the flop with trips or checkraised?

Exitonly
10-22-2005, 01:24 AM
If he leads this flop, you raise him, he calls, then you both check, then he can value bet the river, and you'd probably call

10-22-2005, 01:29 AM
You betting the flop then checking the turn smells like AK. You tried a CB, got resistance and backed off. I think any hand that has nothing or has a lot makes this bet. Maybe a medium pair checks and hopes you bluff at the pot again?

betgo
10-22-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he leads this flop, you raise him, he calls, then you both check, then he can value bet the river, and you'd probably call

[/ QUOTE ]

If he lead out on the flop, I would probably call, but I wouldn't raise. I don't know what someone else would do.

Also, he doesn't know I have a big pair. I could have AQ/AK.

I am not saying leading out is wrong, but he is probably only going to be a called by a decent pp, a flush draw, or if he is way behind. Betting out works better with a set, which is more concealing than trips. If he bet out and the board didn't have a high pair, I would definately raise with an overpair.

If he bet the flop and bet the turn, I would have a hard time not busting, but he might not get much action if I didn't have aces.