PDA

View Full Version : How to Back Someone

REL18
10-21-2005, 11:57 PM
If i pay for a person to play in a tourney what percentage of the wins would i receive assuming that i took 100% of the loses. For 50 100 dollar tournaments. Do not take into account players skill as i would not do this if he could not turn a profit. I would only take the profits after the 100 tournaments

Exitonly
10-22-2005, 12:15 AM
typically, you'd get 50% of the winnings.

skipperbob
10-22-2005, 08:21 AM
agree (after getting investment back)

10-22-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If i pay for a person to play in a tourney what percentage of the wins would i receive assuming that i took 100% of the loses. For 50 100 dollar tournaments. Do not take into account players skill as i would not do this if he could not turn a profit. I would only take the profits after the 100 tournaments

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're talking about a strong player, the % should depend on the length of the contract. You are affected greatly by variance here, while he is not. His negative side of the variance ends at break even. You are eating all the rest. Remember, as the number of tourneys increases, variance decreases %-wise.

For 1 tourney, as a backer I'd not be willing to give up more than 10%, as a player, I would not play for only 10%. Over 50 single table tourneys I think 50% as a backer is too much to give up but as a player I'm not sure that I'd do it for much less than 50%. I think you need a contract length of 200-300 tourneys until you can reach a fair agreement for both at around 50%. Though you'd still have a risk involved, your risk, strange as it sounds, is much less at 200-300 tourneys than it is at 50, given that the player is truly +EV.

You should be able to do some math and figure out a true risk assessment for this. You'd need to know his expected ROI and variance. Variance is not hard to figure out for STTs as there are only 4 possible outcomes.