PDA

View Full Version : Typical boring KK hand

GoCubsGo
10-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Villain is 30/10. Earler he reraised all in with JJ preflop, so I really doubt he has jacks, queens, or aces.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($306.06)
BB ($259.40)
UTG ($242.02)
UTG+1 ($99)
UTG+2 ($125.10)
MP1 ($98.30)
MP2 ($125.30)
Hero ($94.25)
CO ($136.70)
Button ($101.40)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 calls $1, UTG+2 calls $1, MP1 calls $1, MP2 calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, CO calls $7, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $6.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $6, UTG+2 calls $6, MP1 calls $6, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($45) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, CO folds, SB calls $30, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($105) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero calls $57.25 (All-In), SB calls $57.25.

River: ($219.50) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $219.50

I don't really see any other line I could have taken with this, yet after he called the turn, I had this sinking feeling that I was up against a set. Is this a standard play at NL100 or do I need to slow down? Are there still enough bad players at this level that I can expect to be called by a flush draw, straight draw, or TP type hand?

Malachii
10-21-2005, 10:50 PM
After the pot becomes so inflated preflop, there's no getting away from this.

TrailofTears
10-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Very standard. Looks fine. I don't think I slow down here, and even if you did, are you going to let this go even if SB leads into you on the turn? I hope not.

-T

Isura
10-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Make a bigger raise preflop and you don't end up in this weird spot. Gotta push the turn.

GoCubsGo
10-21-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Make a bigger raise preflop and you don't end up in this weird spot. Gotta push the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

My standard raise (and most people's I think) is 4xbb + 1bb for each limper. I occasionally raise more than that if I'm out of position, but I was in good position here. My standard raise would have been $8, but the table was playing tight up until this hand. I raised to $7. My fear is that if I raised any more, everyone would fold. Or, if they didn't fold, they'd only call with a pocket pair and try to spike a set against my obvious big pair.

Do you raise to something like $10 in this situation? What is your experience with that?

Isura
10-22-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My standard raise (and most people's I think) is 4xbb + 1bb for each limper. I occasionally raise more than that if I'm out of position, but I was in good position here. My standard raise would have been $8, but the table was playing tight up until this hand. I raised to $7. My fear is that if I raised any more, everyone would fold. Or, if they didn't fold, they'd only call with a pocket pair and try to spike a set against my obvious big pair.

Do you raise to something like $10 in this situation? What is your experience with that?

[/ QUOTE ]

It sucks when they fold to a 8-10 raise, but I feel you need to take that risk. With so many limpers already in, a chain reaction will go off: As soon as one person calls, everyone else will be getting good odds and will often overcall just like in this hand. You want to build huge pots preflop with position when you hold AA-KK. The ideal situation is when 1 player calls and you have a nice sized heads up pot with position. I raise to 10 with AK and many other hands if the table has been limping and folding to raises, so I usually can get away with making it 10 with AA.

xorbie
10-22-2005, 12:34 AM
I would push the flop. Flush draws almost always call anyway, because they are tards. TJ wil also call, which rules because you have 2 of his outs.

meleader2
10-22-2005, 01:10 AM
without a PFA i'd say 66 or 99 the way it was played by villain. if PFA &gt; 2 then flush draw.

arod15
10-22-2005, 01:58 AM
Am I reading this right? You called the All in? Who pushed SB? It looks standard...

Malachii
10-22-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Flush draws almost always call anyway, because they are tards. TJ wil also call

[/ QUOTE ]
This is very shaky reasoning. The only thing calling a push is a set.

FreakDaddy
10-22-2005, 03:42 AM
Apprently you need to raise more pre-flop at this table. But yes, if that many people are are calling a raise, and the flop is fairly drawless (minus the flush), then someone likely has a set if they call a flop bet. Flush draw with overs is probably check/pushing here, so someone who check/calls in this raised pot has likely out flopped you. Check behind on the turn and use your position to see if you can get a cheap showdown.

FreakDaddy
10-22-2005, 03:49 AM
I have to add as a general statement, after reading all the 'advice' on this hand that hero IS beat. This is not a standard line, and hero shouldn't spew anymore chips into this pot.

elus2
10-22-2005, 04:13 AM
raise to 10 preflop. there are 5 limpers and you have the 2nd best hand. thin the field and play good postflop poker against these guys.

directscooter
10-22-2005, 04:30 AM
I'm playing it just about like this as well, maybe you could raise a little more preflop, but whatever.
With this sized pot on the flop, if there is no A or no really scary board I am playing this for my stack.
I think I read someone looking for a check on the turn and try to get a cheap showdown, are we really gonna see any move other than a push with the size of the pot at the river. At least we might get a draw to call if we do it on the turn. If stacks were bigger that would change things.

10-22-2005, 04:59 AM
Just for the record, your preflop raise is fine. You made a standard pot size raise. You didn't know everyone was going to all. Standard.

Am I the only one who gets annoyed at people whose first piece of advice is "raise more preflop" even though the poster made a full pot size raise? It annoys the hell out of me. It seems so lame and cheap. OK, I've vented now. I feel better.

And the Cubs are definitely going to the Series next year.

MarkL444
10-22-2005, 06:11 AM
pot the flop

GoCubsGo
10-22-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to add as a general statement, after reading all the 'advice' on this hand that hero IS beat. This is not a standard line, and hero shouldn't spew anymore chips into this pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain showed QJ. I felt lucky after winning this one, but then again, I don't know how I could have gotten away from this, or where. If I check the turn I might get a check behind, but he'll probably try to get me all in on the river. The only hand that might not try to get all in is a missed flush or TPWK, which ended up calling my push. What would you have done here?