PDA

View Full Version : marginal made hand in BB

10-21-2005, 10:22 PM
I have Q8o in BB unraised pot

Flop comes Q27 with 2 clubs I have Qc it is a 5way pot.

A moderately aggressive player acts soon after me and a fairly agro player acts last, mainly passive players inbetween.

What is my plan here?

Thanks

10-22-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have Q8o in BB unraised pot

Flop comes Q27 with 2 clubs I have Qc it is a 5way pot.

A moderately aggressive player acts soon after me and a fairly agro player acts last, mainly passive players inbetween.

What is my plan here?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing these type of hands are never fun but lets give it a go, If there is an aggressive player close to your left who will potentially raise this flop on many hands you can beat, then you should lead the flop and hope he raises to protect your hand, and if its just you and him on the turn, theres nothing wrong with just checking and calling the rest of the way since he will usually bet your hand for you and you cannot get outplayed off of the best hand this way. So in your hand example you should lead the flop, the aggressive player in late position is not important in my opinion, since we can use the aggressive player close to our left to likely freeze him out. Now if there was just an aggressive player in late position, then you should check and see the action, if it goes bet/raise, you should fold, if it goes bet, call, call, you again should fold. If it gets checked around to the aggressive player on the button who then bets, you should raise.

ALL1N
10-22-2005, 12:49 AM
I don't think it's right to assume the moderately aggressive player to our left is going to be of any help. He may raise A7 or 87, but if he raises I think it will usually just be a better Q. Also, our hand doesn't even need flop protection.

I'd just check the flop and call an early bettor or CR a late bettor.

rigoletto
10-22-2005, 12:53 AM
You have top pair in an unraised pot - bet!

10-22-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
God I wish this game was that simple.

rigoletto
10-22-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is in this case. Giving a free card is a disaster.

10-22-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's right to assume the moderately aggressive player to our left is going to be of any help. He may raise A7 or 87, but if he raises I think it will usually just be a better Q. Also, our hand doesn't even need flop protection.

I'd just check the flop and call an early bettor or CR a late bettor.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a point, If I felt that the aggressive player close to my left would not raise with many hands I could beat then I would check and hope the late position player bets and then raise him. Or I may check and call, or check and fold depending on the action.

10-22-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
giving a free card in a small pot is not a disaster, and unfortunately this game is not that simple. With top pair weak kicker or top pair strong kicker, unraised pot or not, there are many variables in play that can make checking better than betting and vice versa.

DcifrThs
10-22-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
giving a free card in a small pot is not a disaster, and unfortunately this game is not that simple. With top pair weak kicker or top pair strong kicker, unraised pot or not, there are many variables in play that can make checking better than betting and vice versa.

[/ QUOTE ]

giving a free card in a small pot is much worse than taking it down to a bet and win vs. those hands that wont call ab et but may improve to beat you w/ a free card when you are OOP and there are 2 overcards that can come to your pair.

this hand is indeed pretty simple.

Barron

10-22-2005, 01:18 AM
this is a must bet on the flop.

10-22-2005, 01:37 AM
Its TPWK 5way on a 2 flush board. Only overcards are an Ace and King plus with 1 fairly aggressive player in late position it is unlikely to get checked through.

The pot also isnt very big so wouldnt it be better to just check and see what happens hoping that a bet only comes from the late position player?

10-22-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

giving a free card in a small pot is much worse than taking it down to a bet and win vs. those hands that wont call ab et but may improve to beat you w/ a free card when you are OOP and there are 2 overcards that can come to your pair.

this hand is indeed pretty simple.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]
You need to read or reread the orginal post, there are two aggressive players in this hand, this means that if the hero checks this flop it is very unlikely to get checked around, which means the hero now has access to more strategies in his arsenal than simply betting out. This specific hand is not simple and can now be played in many ways becuz of the opponents in this hand. If all the players were passive, then this hand would be simple, since it should be obvious that the hero should bet out since its too likely to be checked around. When there are 2 or more aggressive opponents in the hand with you, there can be reasons to check this hand or bet this hand.

SA125
10-22-2005, 02:18 AM
Betting makes it much easier to play the hand.

rigoletto
10-22-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its TPWK 5way on a 2 flush board. Only overcards are an Ace and King plus with 1 fairly aggressive player in late position it is unlikely to get checked through.

The pot also isnt very big so wouldnt it be better to just check and see what happens hoping that a bet only comes from the late position player?

[/ QUOTE ]

The small pot is a reason to bet. Anything but a flushdraw will make a mistake calling. Even agressive players check when they totally miss the board which is very likely here.

Besides I think it is wrong to call this a marginal hand. You have top pair decent kicker and only have to worry about another Q. As a rule of thumb it is usually prudent to get some money in the pot with the best hand.

mc1023
10-22-2005, 11:39 AM
I think what OP was trying to point out was if there is any point in checking in hopes of checkraising the aggressive player last to act.

In doing so he would protect his hand better.

Surely there are times will this will apply and it will be a better strategy but I think this is a clear bet on the flop and see where your at with this hand right away.

tongni
10-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Check and see what happens.