PDA

View Full Version : The Brown Trout Sleeps in the Closet.

Joe Tall
06-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Sometimes I just feel like I made a fishy call, you be the judge.

I'm in the CO w/A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif
3 limps to me, I limp, Button limps, Blinds come along.
7 to the flop

Flop: Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Checked around to me, I check, Button bets (he'll bet 99% of the time when checked to, however, he doesn't limp with total rags, I feel he has the Q.)

SB folds, BB calls, 2 limpers call, I call w/my bottom pair, over card and runner-runner flush (am I the trout?)

Turn: K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

Ok, I picked up a Cuban-row-boat of outs. Now the BB bets out (total fish I'm thinking K5o) 1 limper calls, I call, the Button raises, BB calls, limper calls, I call. (I'm sure the button limped w/KQo (he would have raised KQs))

River: 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

BB checks, limper checks, I check, Button bets, BB & limper fold, I check-raise.

Button shows KQo and my trip 3s take it down, sue me.

Homer
06-05-2003, 12:09 PM
You played it well.

Sorry, got nothin else to say.

-- Homer

Bob T.
06-05-2003, 12:20 PM
What else you going to do?

Joe Tall
06-05-2003, 01:26 PM
I just needed to hear this, I wasn't totally comforatable with my flop call. The rest is academic. Man, I wasted a good title...I'll have to dig deeper for the next one.

Thanks!
Peace,
Joe

Joe Tall
06-05-2003, 01:36 PM
Thanks Bob! I think I've tightened up a my game now that it's simple border-line flop calls like this that actually works and then makes me second guess. I feel real good that this is the toughest hand I've had to question as of late because I didn't feel too bad about it, but I questioned my flop call.

I've been making great folds now and it's this forum and players like you and all the others here that have changed my game. I'm convinced, finally, that it's not the hands you win, it's the hands you fold.

Thanks you all! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

CrackerZack
06-05-2003, 01:49 PM
You're gettting 11-1 on the flop closing the action. thats enough for your 5-outer alone (although if AQ is possible for the you could have less) and the flush is just an added benefit. Well-played.

"Billy like to drink soda."
"Miss Lippy's car, is green."

Ulysses
06-05-2003, 02:31 PM
What else you going to do?

He could bet the flop.

Joe Tall
06-05-2003, 02:49 PM
This actually went through my head, as a weak-semi-bluff, but this table is a VERY loose-passive table and I was SURE the button would bet since he punishes the fish trying to get free cards, so I checked.

I've bet this hand online in similar situations, usually with less players seeing the flop.

Thanks and Peace,
Joe

bernie
06-05-2003, 06:59 PM
looks good to me

b

vegthe1st
06-06-2003, 02:35 AM
I think this is a tough one. Personally, I would've called on the flop too, but that doesn't make it correct. Since everyone checked to you, checking too sounds good because by betting here you're probably not going to win the pot by knocking everyone out. So, all in all I think checking and calling with a small pair and a backdoor flush draw isn't too bad. Im not a mathmetician, but the pot odds seemed pretty good there. Am I right? So, I really don't see a big problem with this play. In fact, it was probably the best play. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

06-06-2003, 04:40 PM
Easy call on the flop and more like a piranha on the river. Well done. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Zag
06-06-2003, 04:53 PM
I don't have any problem with the flop call -- as somebody pointed out, you have 11 to 1 AND you close the action, which is key. However, I think that a decent majority of the time (say, 80%) you should have bet out on this flop. (Perhaps you would have, and this hand just happened to be in the 20%.)

You have said that the button is a decent player who probably has something. If he doesn't have the queen, he will probably fold -- you will buy the button and you will likely be checked to on the turn, when you can decide whether or not to take the free card.

The rest of the play was fine, IMHO.

TJSWAN
06-06-2003, 07:07 PM
Well Done,

And to let you know I did the same thing not too long ago with an A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif. Nothing wrong with backing into a set with reasonable outs plus your set has top kicker in case someone else had the other 3. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

JTG51
06-06-2003, 11:46 PM
I think you played it fine, one thing doesn't make sense to me though.

Button bets (he'll bet 99% of the time when checked to, however, he doesn't limp with total rags, I feel he has the Q.)

If he'd bet that flop with any hand he limped with, why would you put him on a Q? Aren't there a lot more reasonable limping hands that don't have a Q than do? Did you read some kind of 'I have a Q' tell?

Joe Tall
06-07-2003, 12:47 AM
It was the actual physical way he bet.
Didn't 'toss the chip out'
Place it on the 'ring' delibrately and looked away from me.

Nearly classic way to bet with the best hand.